Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Making chicken soup in advance

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 5:20 am
How far in advance can I make chicken soup for shabbos?
Not to freeze but to keep in the fridge

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 5:23 am
I put it up Wed afternoon, I shut the flame before going to sleep and put it away Thurs morning.

amother
Foxglove

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 5:35 am
amother Tealblue wrote:
I put it up Wed afternoon, I shut the flame before going to sleep and put it away Thurs morning.
when I left it overnight it tasted sour

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 6:15 am
Can I cook overnight on Tuesday and put away Wednesday or is that too early?

amother
Dahlia

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 6:37 am
amother OP wrote:

My leftover soup from Shabbos is still delicious on Tuesday. Should not be a problem.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 6:56 am
amother OP wrote:

As long as it's not needed for leftovers Sunday. It only stays fresh so many days.

unnamed

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 7:00 am
Why don't you want to freeze it? It will taste better defrosted than kept in the fridge all week.

unnamed

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 7:03 am
amother Tealblue wrote:

So it sits on the counter all night? Why not refrigerate Wednesday night?

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 7:49 am
unnamed wrote:
So it sits on the counter all night? Why not refrigerate Wednesday night?

It's too hot to put away in fridge. It needs to cool down first. In the winter when it's really freezing cold outside, I've put the pot on the porch and it cooled down quickly. The rest of the time, I've left the soup cooking on a small flame overnight, shut it before leaving to work and left it to cool until I came home. The secret to a delicious chicken soup is low and slow. The least I cook it is 6 hours but it's not the same as when I cook it for 8-10 hours. I have put it up Wed morning, it cooked all day and it stayed on counter overnight. First thing in the morning (I would say 6-7 hours later) I put it away.

unnamed

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 7:53 am
amother Tealblue wrote:
It's too hot to put away in fridge. It needs to cool down first. In the winter when it's really freezing cold outside, I've put the pot on the porch and it cooled down quickly. The rest of the time, I've left the soup cooking on a small flame overnight, shut it before leaving to work and left it to cool until I came home. The secret to a delicious chicken soup is low and slow. The least I cook it is 6 hours but it's not the same as when I cook it for 8-10 hours. I have put it up Wed morning, it cooked all day and it stayed on counter overnight. First thing in the morning (I would say 6-7 hours later) I put it away.

I just wonder if it's safe to leave chicken out at room temperature for so many hours...

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:00 am
I cut up all the vegetables in advance, even a few days ahead. Tuesday would be fine. Then I boil the water early Friday morning and dump them vegetables and chicken in with salt, pepper and garlic powder and leave it to cook all day until it goes on the blech. It's not so much that I'm makpid to have fresh soup but that I have no fridge space or patience to plan for the extra steps of cooling- the vegetables are what take me the time and I can do them early.

s c

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:16 am
I make mine Wednesday morning. Leave it simmer for a few hours and put in fridge in the evening. Been doing it for years and it's always good on Friday night
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen