Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Would you answer this text?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:58 am
I got a text that wasn’t for me asking if we could set up a video call. The text came from an overseas number.
I deleted it and said it was spam.
The next day I get a photo with a normal comment if you were sending to a friend.
I ignored it. This morning I got a text asking if I (this persons friend) was ok and if the friend would be available this week.
Should I just ignore it because it could be spam or should I answer that it’s the wrong number.
I have gotten text like this before but this seems too personal.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 11:00 am
I would definitely answer wrong number

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 11:36 am
I’d do both. Respond wrong number and mark as spam

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 12:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
I got a text that wasn’t for me asking if we could set up a video call. The text came from an overseas number.
I deleted it and said it was spam.
The next day I get a photo with a normal comment if you were sending to a friend.
I ignored it. This morning I got a text asking if I (this persons friend) was ok and if the friend would be available this week.
Should I just ignore it because it could be spam or should I answer that it’s the wrong number.
I have gotten text like this before but this seems too personal.

I’d answer. I never got follow up spam if I ignored the first one, it could be legit.

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 12:51 pm
Is it from a country where you know anybody?

If it's from someplace sketchy, just block the number.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 12:53 pm
I would block the number.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:56 pm
Is it a WhatsApp message? You should immediately block any suspicious numbers. Immediately. And report them too. Never answer. If it's a real person they write, "Hi it's Leah ______. I wanted to ask you..."

momof2+?

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 2:01 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
Is it a WhatsApp message? You should immediately block any suspicious numbers. Immediately. And report them too. Never answer. If it's a real person they write, "Hi it's Leah ______. I wanted to ask you..."

You kidding? The spam messages I get are “hi, it’s George. I wanted to ask you/follow up….”

singleagain

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 2:10 pm
I just got text that said something like "hi how are you?" So I texted back "who is this" and they go " oh it's Emily. You didn't save my number" and I just stopped answering because I can't figure out how to block it yet

egam

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 2:23 pm
singleagain wrote:
I just got text that said something like "hi how are you?" So I texted back "who is this" and they go " oh it's Emily. You didn't save my number" and I just stopped answering because I can't figure out how to block it yet

I've gotten quite a few of them lately. That and "I heard you are looking for a job". I delete them right away and mark as spam. They always come from different numbers, so I'm not sure if blocking would help.

marvinkay

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 2:38 pm
singleagain wrote:

I had same experience. If it is spam, what can happen by you replying? Can they hack your phone from a text?

singleagain

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 3:23 pm
nechamala wrote:
I had same experience. If it is spam, what can happen by you replying? Can they hack your phone from a text?

Only if you click a link that has malware I think otherwise, I'm pretty sure that it's non-issue.

I just don't want to waste my time going back and forth.

iyar

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 3:30 pm
Op, I never respond to things like that.
It does seem polite to tell them they have a wrong number but smartphones and etiquette aren’t always a good match.

iyar

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 3:31 pm
nechamala wrote:

I’m not sure what can happen and I’d rather not find out.

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 3:42 pm
Going anon for this bc I have discussed it IRL: I used to constantly get texted by people addressing me as “Bacilia” and offering to purchase “my” property at an address I have never heard of. No, my name is not Bacilia. What

Now I just get frequent political texts no matter how many times I reply STOP, Unsubscribe, End, or report the text as junk/spam. At wits end
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette