Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do I cook frozen salmon?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 12:12 pm
I bought fresh salmon last week. I thought I would cook it right away but I ended up getting sick and wasn’t in the mood of any food. I took the 3 slices of salmon and placed in the freezer.
Today I want to cook it.
Do I need to defrost?
Just cook?
What is the best way? Oven? Maybe Betty Crocker?
I usually sprinkle salt, pepper and spices and coat with mayonnaise and use lots of lemon juice. Then I bake for a few minutes and broil the last 5 minutes.
I think I need a different method if it was frozen.

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 12:14 pm
I freeze salmon all the time. Defrost & cook it the way you usually do.

Amarante

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 12:15 pm
I would defrost it so that it cooks more evenly.

How you prepare it really depends on what you like.

For defrosted fish, I would probably bake it

I posted this recipe for baked salmon last week. Even if you don't like the ingredients, it would give you an idea of how to bake in an oven

This was very simple and quite good - plus pantry ingredients

Horseradish Roasted Salmon With Mustard Potatoes

Slathered in a creamy horseradish mayonnaise, salmon fillet is a weeknight winner. (You can cook smaller fillets or one larger center-cut piece, whichever you prefer.) The key to moist, flavorful salmon is to roast it at a high temperature for a short length of time. Here it’s baked alongside tangy mustard potatoes, but asparagus, broccoli or even green beans would be nice, too. If using less hearty vegetables, just cut the initial bake time down to 5 to 10 minutes.

Yield: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS

1 pound baby Yukon Gold potatoes, halved if large
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
Kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons drained prepared horseradish
2 limes
1½ pounds skinless salmon fillet (preferably 1 single center-cut piece)

PREPARATION

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

On a rimmed sheet pan, toss together the potatoes, olive oil and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, tossing once halfway through.

Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise and horseradish in a small bowl. Finely grate 2 teaspoons lime zest and then cut the remaining lime into wedges. Add the lime zest to the mayonnaise mixture and season to taste with salt and pepper. Season the salmon with salt and pepper and then slather the sauce all over the top and sides.

Remove the potatoes from the oven and use a spatula to make space in the center of the pan. Add the salmon, skinned side down. Return the pan to the oven and cook until the potatoes are browned and tender and the salmon is cooked through to your liking, 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the salmon.

Serve the salmon and potatoes with lime wedges.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 12:17 pm
Yes, defrost first. You can do whatever you want at that point, it will be basically like fresh.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 12:17 pm
Thanks
So I guess it does have to be defrosted?
I’m hungry now… oh well. I can eat it for supper or maybe I can put it in the microwave on the defrost setting? Never did that before.

Amarante

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 12:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks
So I guess it does have to be defrosted?
I’m hungry now… oh well. I can eat it for supper or maybe I can put it in the microwave on the defrost setting? Never did that before.

I wouldn't do that because unless you are super careful, parts start to cook before the rest if thawed so end result is bad.

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 12:55 pm
I usually use frozen salmon as it is. Pieces or even a whole side. I simply bake or fry it a bit longer to make sure it's done all the way through. Never had the patience to thaw it and the results are okay by my lights.

jflower

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 1:12 pm
I usually broil salmon fillets in my toaster oven for 25 minutes. If the fillets are frozen I lay them out in the tray, spray them with olive oil, and then season them & broil for 30 minutes. I just make sure that the fillets are set out individually and not frozen together like a side of salmon, in which case the center will come out raw.

It's delicious.

imasinger

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 2:32 pm
It defrosts pretty quickly in a bowl of cold water.

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 3:26 pm
I'd be wary of microwave defrosting, since they tend to heat unevenly

I defrost in fridge, be sure fully defrosted or will cook unevenly, I even let sit out a little so it's nearing room temp, but not too long for food safety.

Salmon is delicious when cooked just right, but quickly dries out. I generally go with 375 for around 18 min (a little less if very thin), & then check if flakes easily through thickest part (that it no longer looks solid, shiny & rubbery if you know what I mean)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen