Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
How to spell Faiga?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:10 am
How should I spell Faiga?
Pronounced "Fay-gah".
My parents spelled my name with an ayin at the end, but when it came time for my kesubah to be made the rav said the "legal way" is with an alef. Our kesubah and benchers are totally different! Anyway, I need to make wedding invitations for our daughter and I'm not sure which spelling to use!

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:23 am
I think everyone with the name Faiga has had this question at some point in their lives…. Many rabbonim will say that the “official” way is is fey-yud-gimmel-aleph. I also used to spell it with an ayin and our mesader kedushin changed to aleph on the kesubah. On invitations though I don’t think it makes a difference so you can probably spell it however you want.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:36 am
amother Daisy wrote:
I think everyone with the name Faiga has had this question at some point in their lives…. Many rabbonim will say that the “official” way is is fey-yud-gimmel-aleph. I also used to spell it with an ayin and our mesader kedushin changed to aleph on the kesubah. On invitations though I don’t think it makes a difference so you can probably spell it however you want.

Lol...I never realized that this is a popular question! Honestly, we weren't even going to put my name on the invitation (mostly because of the spelling issue) but my daughter is including a mechilla card. That card has her full Hebrew name which includes mine. So here we are....lol

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:44 am
Aleph or hay are both correct. My mom has aleph
Ayin(ע) comes from yiddish pronunciation and is not correct for kesuba.
Use the spelling on your kesuba.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:08 am
I'm פייגא

My mother once had a relative bring back a gold necklace from Israel with my name and the store told him in Israel they write it פיגא so it shouldn't be shem hashem. So for years I wore a necklace spelled like that but kesubah was as above

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:44 pm
peh yud yud gimel alef or ayn
Israel would do heh but remember this is yiddish
When my Sephardic grandma made alia they completely miswrote her Sephardic first and last n ame

amother
Molasses

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:56 pm
The way your parents spell it is your name, so use that.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:05 pm
Parents can be mistaken or bullied

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:14 pm
The correct spelling of your name is an aleph at the end. It only matters on a kesuba or gett. Hebrew speakers replace the aleph with a heh. The person I’m named after had a heh on her tombstone in Israel but rabbis all said my kesuba had to have the name written correctly with aleph at the end. I’m not Faiga but similar Yiddish name.

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 7:41 pm
I spell it fey yud gimel aleph most people used to misspell and write a double yud

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 7:45 pm
I always spelled it פייגא till I got married and they said on the Kesubah the correct spelling is פיגא - I always thought my name meant bird but apparently that name is feigel . Faiga means a fig

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 7:47 pm
We did a lot of research when we named our daughter. Chasidim in general that would pronounce it with a pasach fahygah- will spell with two yuds but if you use a litvish pronunciation- faygah with a tzeirei then it’s one yud. Both end in an alef
But ask your lor

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 8:44 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
We did a lot of research when we named our daughter. Chasidim in general that would pronounce it with a pasach fahygah- will spell with two yuds but if you use a litvish pronunciation- faygah with a tzeirei then it’s one yud. Both end in an alef
But ask your lor

I use chasidish pronunciation and spell single yud

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 9:04 pm
Faiga
That's how we spell it

Lol update I see now u are asking about Hebrew

פייגא

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 9:32 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
But ask your lor

Isn't pronunciation exactly that - pronunciation? Why should it change the spelling? That is just the way that Hungarian chassidim pronounce tzeirei, doesn't change it to a patach.
Regardless, we spell it פייגא.

Op, you said you spell it פייגע- do you pronounce it that way too?

ETA- it's your name. You can spell it however you'd like on an invitation

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 9:59 pm
I spell it פייגא.
Why do so many of you spell it with 1 yud?
If we agree it's a yiddish name, then it should go by yiddish spelling rules, which means two yuds = tzeirei. According to yiddish rules פיגא is pronounced "fee-gah".

redrobin

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 9:26 pm
I spell it פיגא following the Satmar Rebbetzin's spelling.The grandmother I was named for was called Feige- chassidish pronunciation. It is a bird. The name פייגע means a fig and is a different name. If you spell it with a ה you should ask a Sheila as it may be incorrect and be problematic for a kesuba.

Rubber Duck

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 9:34 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
I'm פייגא

My mother once had a relative bring back a gold necklace from Israel with my name and the store told him in Israel they write it פיגא so it shouldn't be shem hashem. So for years I wore a necklace spelled like that but kesubah was as above

It is two different names, with one yud it means a fig and with two it means a bird
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names