Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
S/O voicemail
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:50 pm
Do you appreciate when people leave you a voicemail or does it bother you?

Or do you skip listening to voicemails entirely?

How about when it's not a technical message, when it's more like you called to shmooze or wish someone well. Like Mazal Tov doesn't come out quite the same on a text...

Please include your age or stage. I think that really makes a difference.

Simple1

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:56 pm
I’m old enough to have only had voicemail before everybody had cell phones. But nowadays I prefer text messages. I rarely remember to check voicemail so it’s easy to miss an important message. Text is easier over voice notes because I can read it at any time without it disturbing anyone and not having to worry about people hearing. And it’s also easy to scan for important details such as time and address.

singleagain

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:00 pm
37 and I hate voicemail. I mean they're still some businesses that use it but otherwise message me. Send me a portal message if you're a doctor. I can't stand voicemail

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:02 pm
I am 49 and detest voice notes. I will listen to them though, but only if I am in a quiet place with no background noise as I often have trouble hearing them. ( I tend not to use ear pods in public spaces as I find them anti social. I also don't carry on long phone conversations in public).

So if someone is sending me an urgent message that requires my immediate attention they are best off sending me a text.

That being said I've noticed that my daughters in their late teens early twenties have entire real time conversations with their friends using voice notes. That is they are both online and reply to each other's notes immediately. I can't for the life of me understand why they don't just make a regular call.

I just reread the op and realised the question was about voicemails. I detest those even more than voice notes and if I have to dial in to hear them, I just ignore them. I have over the years missed some important messages from relatives who don't use smart phones with features like WhatsApp etc.

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:04 pm
I'm 40 and voice mail is fine. Especially because apple transcribes it and you can click on the little button that calls the person back.

They brought back the feature of my childhood where you can answer while the person is leaving the message. I felt even older lol.

amother
Mint

Late 20s. Hate voicemail, never listen to them. My mailbox is probably full, I dont even check it

I dont really like talking on the phone either, I prefer text

amother
Yarrow

I basically use whatsapp, I don't like voice notes at all, prefer messages. I don't ignore voice notes but often procrastinate listening to them. Messaging is much more efficient. As for voice mail if I get a missed call I usually return, I never listen to voice mail.

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:06 pm
It bothers me when people don't. My policy is, I don't return such calls, no matter who it was. If they can't be bothered leaving a message, I can't be bothered calling back.

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:08 pm
I am 48 and hate voicemail. My mailbox is usually full and I don’t listen to them. If I notice a missed call I will call you back. Text me if you want to convey information. If you want to smooze (and I talk on the phone for hours every night) text that you called, nothing is up, call me at your convenience.

My mom leaves me multiple VMs daily saying nothing at all. I delete them without listening.

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:11 pm
Ha, I thought I was the only one who couldn't be bothered to empty my voice mail. I think I purposely leave it full so that no one can send me any more.

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:11 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
It bothers me when people don't. My policy is, I don't return such calls, no matter who it was. If they can't be bothered leaving a message, I can't be bothered calling back.

My issue is if you leave me a VM I am more likely to call you back because its more in my face. If you call and hang up its a lot more likely I just forget to call you back. I will get busy with something else and just forget.

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:12 pm
Late 20s
Don't mind voice-mail but then again most people text or whatsapp me.
I like when unfamiliar numbers leave a message because otherwise I have no idea who called!

I like when doctors email or text about appointment reminder vs calling

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:14 pm
I'm 26 I listen to every VM right away. I always leave messages when it's important

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 2:08 pm
My phone transcribes voicemails so those don’t bother me, might not be perfect but I can get the gist of it. I hate voice notes! I’m in my mid 30s.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 2:25 pm
If you guys have an android, make sure you're using the Visual Voicemail app.

I'd rather a voicemail than someone hanging up without leaving a message and then telling me I didn't call them back. If you don't leave a message, I assume your call isn't relevant anymore/a mistake.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 2:34 pm
Hate voicemails. I listen to them so they don't clog up my mailbox but they are a waste of time. If I don't answer, I'll either call you back, or you should send me a quick text or Whatsapp about what you wanted to discuss so I'll know.
I also hate voice notes. I can read faster than you can talk so it wastes my time if you leave them. DH loves voice notes though.

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 2:38 pm
If nobody picks up, I don't levae a voicemail- I send a text or WhatsApp. My teens do the same (when they actually make a call.) So nobody is relying on people seeing missed calls, but they're not leaving voicemail either.

gr82no

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 4:10 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I'm 40 and voice mail is fine. Especially because apple transcribes it and you can click on the little button that calls the person back.

They brought back the feature of my childhood where you can answer while the person is leaving the message. I felt even older lol.

Same! Its very convenient.
I dont call back a number I don't recognize unless they leave me a message

amother
Outerspace

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 5:27 pm
I'm in my 40s and I have a landline with no voicemail set up so random people can't leave messages. Anyone who really needs to contact me has my cellphone number. I much prefer that people text/Whatsapp me to leave a message, but at least my voicemail provides a transcript if they go that route.

I absolutely despise voice notes. If the message is too long to type out, then it probably requires an actual phone call. I also prefer having messages written down so I can easily check them or go back to remind me of something important. Written messages are searchable but voice notes are not.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:25 pm
I love voice mails. I can’t answer every call that comes in and if I don’t recognize the number, I won’t call back unless there’s a voicemail explaining who called and why.
Hate voice notes, though. If I’m texting it’s often because I can’t make too much noise.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette