Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Chicken nuggets bad?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:55 pm
Is it bad if I give my child chicken nuggets or fish sticks for lunch and or dinner? What can I give instead from the freezer quick and easy?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it bad if I give my child chicken nuggets or fish sticks for lunch and or dinner? What can I give instead from the freezer quick and easy?

Those things aren't healthy, but ok for once in a while.
You can bread & bake a bunch of chicken breasts & keep them in the freezer.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:08 pm
Eggs are quick and healthier.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:14 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
Those things aren't healthy, but ok for once in a while.
You can bread & bake a bunch of chicken breasts & keep them in the freezer.

And then how long to re heat for in the oven?

amother
OP

amother Lemon wrote:
Eggs are quick and healthier.

We do eggs for breakfast

seeker

I think it depends. When my kids were little and into these things, I noticed some brands were full of additives and some were basically what I would put in the same thing homemade. I forget which brand, maybe it was dagim for the fish sticks? It was basically breaded pieces of fish. You could argue that breading isn't the healthiest way to serve and that maybe wild caught salmon would be a better fish, but in reality for something easy to get and make that the kids would enjoy eating, I called it a win.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:59 pm
Of all the unhealthy foods no I don’t think it’s bad. You can do it once a week

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:36 am
amother Nasturtium wrote:
Of all the unhealthy foods no I don’t think it’s bad. You can do it once a week

I do it everyday. But I’m open to changing I just need ideas

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:38 am
amother OP wrote:

It’s good to give variety so they don’t end up as picky eaters. What do you make for yourself for dinner? Why not give some of that?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:39 am
Frozen pizza, noodle soups, grill cheese, pasta

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:45 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:

Toddlers should not be eating those things as their regular foods on a daily basis. Frozen pizza, noodle soup, fish sticks, frozen nuggets.... those things are ok for once in a while. Not for the regular everyday food.
OP, he wouldn't eat what you make for yourself?

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:46 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:

How are these better than fish sticks and chicken nuggets? They have even less nutrition

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:47 am
amother OP wrote:
I do it everyday. But I’m open to changing I just need ideas

It’s really fine if it’s one of the meals. And if you give eggs for breakfast sounds like you are doing better than a lot of other parents. Many kids eat junk for breakfast like sugar cereals and pasties.

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:48 am
amother OP wrote:

It's not bad but it's not ideal. Why can't your toddler eat what you eat?

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:48 am
Toddler can eat whatever you eat. Why are you making two dinners?

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:50 am
The rule in my house is fish sticks once a week and chicken nuggets once a week- they can choose to request it for a lunch or to replace a dinner they don't like (I have one kid who won't eat salmon so she always has her fish sticks when the rest of us eat salmon). Otherwise they can eat what we're eating, oatmeal or yogurt, or a sandwich, (or one of mine likes beans straight from the can for dinner sometimes. 🤷🏼‍♀️). Mostly they eat what we're eating - home made hamburgers, chicken and rice, homemade chicken nuggets( cube cutlets, bread, bake), pita and chumus and veggies,

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:54 am
I either make fish chicken taco pasta soup for dinner and sometimes will eat it. Very picky and only wants noodles usually or yogurt

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 6:08 am
From experience, the younger my kids are exposed to more foods and flavors, the less picky they are
I haven’t given any of my kids baby food jars since 4 kids ago, I just give them what I make, WITH spices. Don’t give them bland things they’ll just have no taste for flavor as they get older
My older ones are still beyond picky, my younger ones eat whatever I make for supper

Also, OP, it might be worth it for you too do some reading about processed foods and additives and how it affects the body
Not to change anything, just to give you knowledge so when you give these foods, you know how much and why

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 6:12 am
You can get ones that have cleaner ingredients - without additives and fillers. It's better than puff pastry things like borekas, or refined starchy things like frozen pizza etc.

We do either fish sticks or frozen felafel balls once a week.

I rotate proteins each night to make it easier - shabbos leftovers, dairy, fish, chicken/meat, eggs / beans. None of my regular dinners take more than 20 mins hands-on time.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 6:21 am
Quick lunch ideas?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics