Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Looking to redo kitchen on a budget
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:15 pm
I live in Monsey o redid my kitchen with nothing custom all standard it’s big total kosher of cabinets and counters which included backsplash was 18,500k

I did 2 French door fridge freezers $1400 each
1 dishwasher $650
2 stoves each $900
Faucets x3 $130 from Home Depot

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:22 pm
This thread shattered my broken dreams, each reply piercing my soul like jagged shards of glass. Every whispered promise, every flicker of hope, now lies in ruins at my feet. Each heartbeat now echoes with the agony of what could have been, a cruel reminder of my dreams now dashed against the cold, unforgiving screen. In the darkness of this desolation, I am left to grapple with the bitter reality that my aspirations were mere illusions, fading into oblivion like stars swallowed by an endless night.

On a serious note, we are slowly saving for a new kitchen and I was under the impression that it shouldn't cost more than 40K. Thank you for enlightening me. May we merit to win the Oorah auction soon.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:25 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
Interior design was actually the cheapest part of my kitchen. I think the designer was disappointed how few hours it came to. We did tile, backsplash and counter in one store and choose kitchen and handles in a second. Then we chose furniture - she gave me a paint color and done.
Oh I also spent around $1250 on a kitchen layout planner.

Who was your interior designer?

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:31 pm
amother Plum wrote:
There is no cost of labor that's why it's so low. When you redo a kitchen the cost of the contractor is a large factor.

I wrote above that installation of the kitchen was $4,000 and installation of the backsplash was $1,000. Those are some of the labor costs.

I did write that I am unsure what my flooring cost to install as we did tiling in other parts of my house too.

I also did not include electric and plumbing costs. I am not sure of the pricing because this was part of an extension that was done overall.

But some people listed pretty high prices for cabinets alone. I was trying to point out that a mid level, not huge kitchen does not have to cost a lot.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:33 pm
amother Natural wrote:
And how much did you pay the contractor?

The contractor was hired to extend our house. The kitchen was just part of the job. I guess you can add 15% for that.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:36 pm
happy7 wrote:
If you are going to hire a designer, you need to add that into the cost.

I hired a decorator for 2 hours to help choose our kitchen. Costed about $300 total.

Dream Cabinetry has very experienced designers that come free along with the kitchen. They did an amazing job.

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:40 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
I wrote above that installation of the kitchen was $4,000 and installation of the backsplash was $1,000. Those are some of the labor costs.

I did write that I am unsure what my flooring cost to install as we did tiling in other parts of my house too.

I also did not include electric and plumbing costs. I am not sure of the pricing because this was part of an extension that was done overall.

But some people listed pretty high prices for cabinets alone. I was trying to point out that a mid level, not huge kitchen does not have to cost a lot.

You are giving OP false hope. The contractor fee is the most expensive part. With no addition, my contractor fee for my kitchen redo (including plumbing and electrical) was about 35k. This was 6 years ago and prices have increased.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:49 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
Who was your interior designer?

I used Racheli Heimes in Lakewood. She did quite a few beautiful kitchens. I believe she charges $150/hour.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:50 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
The contractor was hired to extend our house. The kitchen was just part of the job. I guess you can add 15% for that.

Many charge 20%. Or more. That'd also why you got things cheaper...this was a small part of a big job.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 10:16 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
I used Racheli Heimes in Lakewood. She did quite a few beautiful kitchens. I believe she charges $150/hour.

Thank you so much. I’m in Brooklyn.

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 10:34 pm
Redid my kitchen about a year ago
Approx 55k
For comparison, my kitchen is 264sq ft
Fabuwood cabinets + 53 ft quartz counter 22k
Floor tile 3k
Backsplash 1500
2 ss sink and faucets 1100
Appliances 7k (1 fridge, 2 each gas range, microwave, dishwasher)
Contractor 20k including plumbing, lighting, tiling, painting, electric, cabinet installation and molding and under cabinet heat. Didn't move walls but did take down a built in pantry.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:33 pm
Which contractor did you use and were you happy?

amother
Blushpink

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 1:34 am
We recently renovated and put in a cheap but beautiful kitchen on a budget. (In Brooklyn)

Hopefully can give hope to some of you.

Plumbing: 5k, it was $1000 a point but we had to put in plumbing from scratch- so we did 5 points cuz we thought we’d use 2 fleishig- gas/ sink, 2 milchig- gas/ sink and 1 island sink… we did plumbing first, early in the game. But only used 3 points in the end… fleishig gas & sink plus island sink for milchig and did the rest convection (electric).

Cabinets (mostly drawers) & double pantry: $9070 for simple white shaker wood cabinets from a Chinese store which included installation.

Quartz countertops & 96” island plus waterfall: $4670 (from a Chinese place which included installation)

Sinks a little under 1k (Kraus workstation sinks with filter at fleishigs and hot water tap by milchigs, beautiful gold faucets for a great price 100 each on Amazon)

Backsplash tiles: about $620 plus labor (got someone to finish up a bunch of stuff- hard to say)

Appliances: $1800 for a huge fridge/ freezer (fridgidaire twins) scratch & dent- we did this cuz we needed very big but too pricey full price.

$250 for 1 microwave, convection stovetop was gifted, & I had an oven and a dishwasher already (fleishigs). Still have space for convection microwave for milchigs.

Hardware: $140 for gold pulls

Flooring: did one tile for full floor including kitchen open concept- cost a lot- but hard to divide up how much was kitchen cost.

Electricity: did our whole house over so hard to know how much just for kitchen

(Demo also did whole old house)

amother
Lily

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 2:33 am
amother Valerian wrote:
This thread shattered my broken dreams, each reply piercing my soul like jagged shards of glass. Every whispered promise, every flicker of hope, now lies in ruins at my feet. Each heartbeat now echoes with the agony of what could have been, a cruel reminder of my dreams now dashed against the cold, unforgiving screen. In the darkness of this desolation, I am left to grapple with the bitter reality that my aspirations were mere illusions, fading into oblivion like stars swallowed by an endless night.

On a serious note, we are slowly saving for a new kitchen and I was under the impression that it shouldn't cost more than 40K. Thank you for enlightening me. May we merit to win the Oorah auction soon.

Here is what we did - not in lakewood, but can be done anywhere

My husband went down to main street and picked up a bunch of the guys who hang around looking for work. They did all the demo together - although we did need to pay for a specials building dumpster, it was pennies compared to a contractor, we paid them by the day.
Dh put the cabinets in himself (youtube is a great resource) the countertop installation included the sinks, although DH did have to connect the plumbing and faucet.
We did the same flooring in the kitchen as the rest of the house, because I like the look and high quality LVP holds up just as well as time, and its also DIY friendly ( that was another day picking up guys to help with the work). Backsplash we paid a tiler to do the installation.

Oh and BTW - we found super high end solid wood, white oak shaker cabinets on facebook marketplace from someone who change there mind about the kitchen they ordered, for the price of the lowest end cabinets (5,000$) but that was total mazal. We ended up having a surplus of cabinets because the kitchen we bought was bigger then needed, and we used it to build built ins in the dining room. It was another day of renting a u-haul, getting workers, shleping cabinets....

We spent 25k on the whole thing - but we did not need to change plumbing or electric. We did it all over bein hazmanim and it was a super stressful time, living with no kitchen, but hearing what other people spend makes is worth it - OMG!

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 9:12 am
amother Lily wrote:
Here is what we did - not in lakewood, but can be done anywhere

My husband went down to main street and picked up a bunch of the guys who hang around looking for work. They did all the demo together - although we did need to pay for a specials building dumpster, it was pennies compared to a contractor, we paid them by the day.
Dh put the cabinets in himself (youtube is a great resource) the countertop installation included the sinks, although DH did have to connect the plumbing and faucet.
We did the same flooring in the kitchen as the rest of the house, because I like the look and high quality LVP holds up just as well as time, and its also DIY friendly ( that was another day picking up guys to help with the work). Backsplash we paid a tiler to do the installation.

Oh and BTW - we found super high end solid wood, white oak shaker cabinets on facebook marketplace from someone who change there mind about the kitchen they ordered, for the price of the lowest end cabinets (5,000$) but that was total mazal. We ended up having a surplus of cabinets because the kitchen we bought was bigger then needed, and we used it to build built ins in the dining room. It was another day of renting a u-haul, getting workers, shleping cabinets....

We spent 25k on the whole thing - but we did not need to change plumbing or electric. We did it all over bein hazmanim and it was a super stressful time, living with no kitchen, but hearing what other people spend makes is worth it - OMG!

You are super geshikt

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 9:22 am
amother Blushpink wrote:
We recently renovated and put in a cheap but beautiful kitchen on a budget. (In Brooklyn)

Hopefully can give hope to some of you.

Plumbing: 5k, it was $1000 a point but we had to put in plumbing from scratch- so we did 5 points cuz we thought we’d use 2 fleishig- gas/ sink, 2 milchig- gas/ sink and 1 island sink… we did plumbing first, early in the game. But only used 3 points in the end… fleishig gas & sink plus island sink for milchig and did the rest convection (electric).

Cabinets (mostly drawers) & double pantry: $9070 for simple white shaker wood cabinets from a Chinese store which included installation.

Quartz countertops & 96” island plus waterfall: $4670 (from a Chinese place which included installation)

Sinks a little under 1k (Kraus workstation sinks with filter at fleishigs and hot water tap by milchigs, beautiful gold faucets for a great price 100 each on Amazon)

Backsplash tiles: about $620 plus labor (got someone to finish up a bunch of stuff- hard to say)

Appliances: $1800 for a huge fridge/ freezer (fridgidaire twins) scratch & dent- we did this cuz we needed very big but too pricey full price.

$250 for 1 microwave, convection stovetop was gifted, & I had an oven and a dishwasher already (fleishigs). Still have space for convection microwave for milchigs.

Hardware: $140 for gold pulls

Flooring: did one tile for full floor including kitchen open concept- cost a lot- but hard to divide up how much was kitchen cost.

Electricity: did our whole house over so hard to know how much just for kitchen

(Demo also did whole old house)

Thanks! Can u post the contact info for the Chinese stores you used?
Also do you have a link to the faucets on Amazon?
Where did you buy the backsplash?

amother
Quince

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 10:29 am
First off, you don't need a contractor. You or DH can be your own contractor. As long as you know what needs to get done and in which order, you can hire your own guys. Especially if you won't be moving plumbing, gas, electricity.
The kitchen place does the kitchen cabinets installation. The floor place does the floor installation. The countertop place does that. Have your faucets so they can install them as well. Then if you're handy, you can do it on your own and if not get an electrician or handyman to connect your appliances and install lighting.

It's not as convenient but it's totally doable.

amother
Blushpink

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 3:46 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
Thanks! Can u post the contact info for the Chinese stores you used?
Also do you have a link to the faucets on Amazon?
Where did you buy the backsplash?

Sure!
Cabinet place: L & T modern kitchen 7184390081

Counter place: I Door inc (718) 359-0288 (super honest- made my price lower after they took final measurements)

Faucet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....title
Similar to one they sell in the frum stores
(I specifically wanted 2 handles not to get mixed up on Shabbos with hot and cold)

Backsplash: https://www.bedrosians.com/en/.....HI28G
I found it on Walmart.com with free shipping but took a while to come. You can get discounts directly from bedrosians and they advised to play around with the shipping for how many boxes per order. (The shipping price changes).
https://www.bedrosians.com/en/.....HI28G

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 11:23 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
Which contractor did you use and were you happy?

Bump

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 11:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
How much did your kitchen cost? Looking to redo on a budget. Would like 2 dishwashers, sinks, ovens. Don't need anything huge or glamorous. Would need to knock down a small wall.

Two years ago we redid our pretty small kitchen due to a flood. We did it the cheapest possible way, with Formica counter tops and the cheapest decent looking kitchen possible. One dishwasher (which we had) two ovens (we only got one new) etc. It cost about $30k including the floor putting in a second sink, adding a small wall. The kitchen has totally fallen apart and did not last. Cabinets are chipped and the doors are always coming off. If you want your kitchen to last you’ll have to spend a lot more than we did…
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries