Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What age do boys start feeling embarrassed being naked?
1  2  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:21 am
My seven year old will walk out of his room without underwear on. He’s not embarrassed at all. Is this normal? When do boys start feeling uncomfortable being naked in front of others?
Back to top

amother
Salmon


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:22 am
Every kids is different. My 12 year old daughter has no issue being undressed, and my 4 year old son wouldn't even take off his shirt if he's not in his room or the bathroom.
Back to top

amother
Phlox


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:31 am
amother OP wrote:
My seven year old will walk out of his room without underwear on. He’s not embarrassed at all. Is this normal? When do boys start feeling uncomfortable being naked in front of others?


My 7 yo same, but he's kinds immature.

I think they need to be taught this around 9 if they haven't chapped yet.
Back to top

amother
Burgundy


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:33 am
amother Salmon wrote:
Every kids is different. My 12 year old daughter has no issue being undressed, and my 4 year old son wouldn't even take off his shirt if he's not in his room or the bathroom.


This. My 10 yo is almost as tall as me and starting to change and she still has no problem being naked around anyone. (Drives me crazy and really concerns me)
My 8yo also. No problem being naked but is more careful just becuase she knows it's not ok. 10 yo has inattentive adhd so she's too distracted to make an extra effort.
10 and 8 yo are girls
Younger kids also boys and girls. And so when it's time to get dressed/undressed I always supervise. It's time consuming and annoying but it's what has to he done.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:46 am
amother Phlox wrote:
My 7 yo same, but he's kinds immature.

I think they need to be taught this around 9 if they haven't chapped yet.


My son is also immature but tall and big for a seven year old. I do tell him he can’t come out of his room undressed but he doesn’t care at all. On shabbos he walked out of his room butt naked when guests were there
Back to top

amother
Burgundy


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:51 am
amother OP wrote:
My son is also immature but tall and big for a seven year old. I do tell him he can’t come out of his room undressed but he doesn’t care at all. On shabbos he walked out of his room butt naked when guests were there
🫣
Back to top

amother
Bottlebrush


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:52 am
amother OP wrote:
My son is also immature but tall and big for a seven year old. I do tell him he can’t come out of his room undressed but he doesn’t care at all. On shabbos he walked out of his room butt naked when guests were there


I thought you meant in front of parents and siblings. Did he know guests were there? In that case sounds like he might be missing some social skills.
Back to top

amother
Teal


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 1:12 am
My 9 yr old son doesn’t care and it drives me nutssssd. 8 ye old daughter doesn’t either . I have to tell them daily to stop .
Back to top

ray family




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 1:20 am
Some of my children are more comfortable than others being undressed. But under no circumstances would a 7 year old walk out of his room naked.
Q do you walk around less dressed? Or does your husband( I don’t mean naked) If that’s the norm then maybe that’s part of why he’s comfortable with it
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:52 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
I thought you meant in front of parents and siblings. Did he know guests were there? In that case sounds like he might be missing some social skills.


Yes he knew they were there but the concept of being embarrassed of being naked is not there at all
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:54 am
ray family wrote:
Some of my children are more comfortable than others being undressed. But under no circumstances would a 7 year old walk out of his room naked.
Q do you walk around less dressed? Or does your husband( I don’t mean naked) If that’s the norm then maybe that’s part of why he’s comfortable with it


No we do not walk around less dressed but my younger kids do so maybe he feels like if they can why can’t I (the seven year old is the oldest)
Back to top

dena613




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:46 am
Age 2-3

I teach my boys and girls that we only get dressed in our room or the bathroom, with the door closed. It's an expectation that is taught.
Back to top

amother
Cerise


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 11:04 am
Oddly, my kids age 10 and under have no problem running around in their underwear or less in front of parents and siblings, but would be embarrassed to be seen even in pjs in front of guests.
Back to top

amother
White


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 11:10 am
I don't think its about being embarrassed. Some people are more comfortable with their bodies. Its about teaching that it is not socially acceptable. I never let my kids go around undressed from the time they can understand. Obviously they don't always listen, but I don't think tgere is anything wrong with being more comfortable undressed. My dh would walk around in underwear all day if it was socially acceptable. He is more comfortable that way.
Back to top

amother
Salmon


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 11:14 am
ray family wrote:
Some of my children are more comfortable than others being undressed. But under no circumstances would a 7 year old walk out of his room naked.
Q do you walk around less dressed? Or does your husband( I don’t mean naked) If that’s the norm then maybe that’s part of why he’s comfortable with it


Don't most people walk around less dressed at home?
Less dressed is not a comparison to being naked at home.
Back to top

amother
Crystal


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 11:24 am
Some will never feel embarassed. Ask dh how many fully grown men are comfortable walking around the mikvah, waiting on line talking to each other with nothing on.
It’s just a house rule here that they don’t walk around naked. Everyone above toilet training age has bath robes to wear to and from the bath/ shower and the robe goes on before underwear comes off and stays on until underwear is on.
Back to top

creditcards




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:09 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
Some will never feel embarassed. Ask dh how many fully grown men are comfortable walking around the mikvah, waiting on line talking to each other with nothing on.
It’s just a house rule here that they don’t walk around naked. Everyone above toilet training age has bath robes to wear to and from the bath/ shower and the robe goes on before underwear comes off and stays on until underwear is on.


Where do they go with their bathrobes? Don't they get dressed and undressed in the bathroom?
Back to top

amother
Salmon


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:18 pm
creditcards wrote:
Where do they go with their bathrobes? Don't they get dressed and undressed in the bathroom?


We put on a robe after bath/shower & get dressed in the room. It's hard for kids to get dressed in a steamy bathroom after a shower.
Back to top

amother
Bergamot


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 1:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
No we do not walk around less dressed but my younger kids do so maybe he feels like if they can why can’t I (the seven year old is the oldest)
Maybe that’s why. My 7 year old definitely gets it but he has older sisters so it’s very much on his radar.
Back to top

amother
Honeysuckle


 

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 1:07 pm
My kids are all embarrassed to walk around naked. Ages 4 to 12. They can walk around in underwear. My 12 year old wouldn't walk around in underwear either. All on their own. I never taught them. I let them see my legs. Otherwise I'm fully covered. My hair is covered all the time.
Back to top
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Chinuch Meyuchad (spec Ed) Boys Cheder
by amother
0 Today at 3:26 am View last post
If you have a pesach kitchen- did you start cooking?
by amother
57 Today at 3:15 am View last post
Boys Israeli soldiers
by amother
3 Today at 2:11 am View last post
Feeling guilty
by amother
5 Today at 12:20 am View last post
[ Poll ] Until what age do you consider your child a baby? Poll
by amother
43 Yesterday at 1:34 pm View last post