Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Eating too much?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:40 pm
My 15mo old baby loves to eat. Both me and my husband don't eat large portions but baby can eat an adult size portion and still ask for snacks cookies or cake. How can I know if he's eating the full portion for enjoyment or this is the portion a baby should eat? I don't want to get him used to unhealthy habits.

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:49 pm
let him eat as much as he wants. He is a baby.Don’t ration food.

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:53 pm
I agree: don't ration food.

If he is getting fat, propose less energy dense food, like veggies, fruit, chicken breast, white fish, boiled potatoes, warm beverages, and don't have lots of sugary snacks lying around.

eating enough protein is important for satiety.

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:58 pm
Let the kid eat.
He is young enough that you can control choices.
If it’s too much you will see signs that he can’t handle the volume.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 1:01 pm
When I'm full, I also like snacks, cookies and cake. Lol. Feed him as much real food as he wants, but start to set healthy limits around treats.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 1:06 pm
Thank you for your reply he can eat 5 meatballs whereas we can only eat 3. He can eat 2 slices potato kugel etc.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 1:08 pm
He is getting fat. I think he eats more for enjoyment. I don't want eating to be an activity. At the shabbos meal he can eat as much as a grown adult.

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 1:24 pm
I’m going to be the voice of dissent. It sounds excessive to me. Have you mentioned to the doctor? I personally would be concerned about prader willi.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 1:47 pm
amother Stone wrote:
I’m going to be the voice of dissent. It sounds excessive to me. Have you mentioned to the doctor? I personally would be concerned about prader willi.

I'm thinking of a different disorder, but yes, I would do testing. I would also reflect on what his eating habits were as a baby if he was bottle Tongue Out fed.

You're not arguing with the other posters. Above eye and others wrote not to be too concerned. Then, OP introduced new information which changes things.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 2:11 pm
Thank you Stone and Lone Green
I am obviously concerned enough that I'm questioning it, but didn't want to run to doctor as a first time mom if others would tell me it's normal. In addition both me and my husband don't eat a lot so maybe it is normal but I do feel it's off. He's only 15 months not 5 years old!

Lawngreen what was your thinking?
He was on formula from day 1 until 12 mo and his bottles were always a struggle. He took way less than the recommended ounces and would not finish the full bottle. Once we switched to solids it's like he discovered something he really enjoys. I can tell he's not hungry but he asks for more.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 2:17 pm
I just googled prader wili and it does not describe him at all. He doesn't meet any of the description aside from eating but even in food he's extremely picky in the type of food he eats. He'll rather skip a meal than try anything outside of his 6 food options

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 2:26 pm
My kids are like this. They were never heavy or even chubby but tall kids. They ate like football players from aroun 10m to 2 years and then became super picky and eat much less.

I would’ve worry too much but you can ask the do. To check his weight.

I also followed BlW and intuitive eating so served food at meals and relatively set snack times. Food wasn’t always available but at meals they ate till full.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 2:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for your reply he can eat 5 meatballs whereas we can only eat 3. He can eat 2 slices potato kugel etc.

You seems to eat very little so your portions aren't typically adult sized.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 2:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you Stone and Lone Green
I am obviously concerned enough that I'm questioning it, but didn't want to run to doctor as a first time mom if others would tell me it's normal. In addition both me and my husband don't eat a lot so maybe it is normal but I do feel it's off. He's only 15 months not 5 years old!

Lawngreen what was your thinking?
He was on formula from day 1 until 12 mo and his bottles were always a struggle. He took way less than the recommended ounces and would not finish the full bottle. Once we switched to solids it's like he discovered something he really enjoys. I can tell he's not hungry but he asks for more.

That changes a lot. It's likely he's not excessively hungry if bottles were a struggle. So I doubt it's a disorder that comes with insatiable appetite.

I'm so not an expert on this, but the first thing that comes to mind is that maybe he's making up for lost time? If he under ate for the first 12 months, he may have to eat more now to catch up. If he's in the 98% for weight, that's probably not the case, but if he's heading towards where he belongs that makes sense.

Eta most children will ask for more cookies and cake even if they're not hungry. Nothing the least bit abnormal about that.

scruffy

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 2:52 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
You seems to eat very little so your portions aren't typically adult sized.

This. I don't think 3 meatballs is an adult portion.

My toddler can put away 5 meatballs if they're in the mood. Or a full bowl of soup or a whole sandwich.

They can also go on an eating strike for a day

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 3:06 pm
amother OP wrote:

3 meatballs is a very small portion for most adults.... and how large are these potato kugel slices? It's all relative depending on the size.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics