Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Can I add sleeves from an old tee shirt

Gittu

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:58 am
To a short sleeve top?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 11:14 am
My seamstress did it. It was about $20.

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 7:24 pm
You can, but would it be worth the cost? Fabric from an old shirt has already started to deteriorate from wear, even if it doesn't look that way to you, and shouldn't be attached to a new garment because the garment will outlive it. And if it will cost you $20 to have the job done, why not spend an extra $20 or $25 and buy a top with long sleeves instead?

The only justification I can think of for this kind of transplant surgery is if there is something special about the top: it's a team or work uniform that doesn't come in long sleeve style, it's a vintage item with sentimental value, like your grandmother's wedding gown, or was a gift from someone special and you absolutely have to wear it, and it fits too snugly to allow wearing a long-sleeve shell underneath.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:52 pm
zaq wrote:
You can, but would it be worth the cost? Fabric from an old shirt has already started to deteriorate from wear, even if it doesn't look that way to you, and shouldn't be attached to a new garment because the garment will outlive it. And if it will cost you $20 to have the job done, why not spend an extra $20 or $25 and buy a top with long sleeves instead?

The only justification I can think of for this kind of transplant surgery is if there is something special about the top: it's a team or work uniform that doesn't come in long sleeve style, it's a vintage item with sentimental value, like your grandmother's wedding gown, or was a gift from someone special and you absolutely have to wear it, and it fits too snugly to allow wearing a long-sleeve shell underneath.

I spent $35 dollars on the t shirt I added sleeves to, $10 dollars on a new black t shirt for the sleeves, and $20 for my seamstress to sew them together. Was it worth it? Absolutely not. I spent $65 dollars on this random t shirt. But it makes me so happy every time I wear it 🖤
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing