Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Losing wieght during a tzom

Starhavah

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 7:37 am
Have you ever wondered what happens to your weight during a tzom? I have. So since I am tracking my weight for anyway right now I got on the scale a few extra times yesterday. This is what I learned. Sunday morning I weighed X. Sunday after the fast (and before I ate) I weighed X-1 (yup that is a whole pound lighter). After eating, I weighted X again. For dinner I had 2 eggs, a bowl of brown rice and a glass of seltzer with a little lemonade for flavoring. This is a pretty typical dinner for me except I usually stick to one egg. This morning (my usualy weighing time) I weighted X-0.5. So it looks like I lost half a pound when all was said and done. I might try the experiment again next year since I can't weight myself on Yom Kippur morning (my scale is electronic). It will be interesting to see if I get the same results.

Has anyone else ever done this? What did you learn?

Star Havah

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 7:56 am
Yes! I also weighed myself a couple of times yesterday.

I was X-2 before I ate. This morning I was X-1.

I try to weigh myself the morning before YK and right after the fast. I don't think you can even use a non electric scale on YK since you aren't allowed to weigh on Shabbot anyway, right?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 8:04 am
When I'm dieting, I try to avoid scales. I'd rather go according to how I look.

Bsimcha

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 8:08 am
I don't think you can weigh on shabbos either.

Here's something strange.
I weighed myself right after shabbos, an hour after we finished eating and I had drank a ton of water.
I weighed 5 pounds more than I did at the end of the fast.
I weighed a gain this morning and I had lost about a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!(from my usual weight!)
maybe I should take on more fasting. What

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 8:52 am
Don't forget the water weighs quite a lot. A litre of water weighs a kilo (2lb)

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:08 am
Whatever the scale said over the course of one day means absolutely nothing. After I go to the bathroom in the morning I lose one pound. Does that mean I actually lost weight? I don't think so.

tovasmom

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:36 am
The conventional wisdom is that it takes about a week for the weight loss/gain to settle on the body. Anyone who weighs themselves more often than that knows there is a fluctuation over the week that is not necessarily true. As far as fasting weight, I think it is water, and for the most part is illusory.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 10:06 am
people fluctuate daily around 2 lbs ... water intake/output - eating food - then excretions ... go figure ...

I wouldn't exactly call one day of fasting a diet ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise