Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Is this what everyone is doing monthly???

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 11:03 pm
I legit called around 30-40 pharmacies this month and last month to get my sons ADHD meds. And this month by the time my doc sent the meds to the pharmacy requested they were out!
I can’t see myself doing this monthly! My son is on Focalin RX and his insurance covering generic brand only.
Anyone’s pharmacy is making sure to have their refills for them monthly?

I’m in the brooklyn area

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 11:15 pm
It’s a nightmare yes . Some of the Jewish pharmacies are able to help long time patients but mostly it’s a struggle for everyone.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 11:34 pm
Yes, unfortunately.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 11:42 pm
Yup. I stopped having the doctor use electronic prescriptions and write them on paper instead. That way, if I show up and they don't have, I can just take the rx and try the next place and not have to chase the doctor down to send it elsewhere.

emee2

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 11:48 pm
I’m new at this too. Is there anywhere that has it? I’m going to run out in 3 days 😭

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 11:50 pm
We're out already for over 2 weeks and are just dealing with it. Not sure what else to do.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 11:55 pm
My husband had to switch meds because of the shortages. Not ideal but better than nothing.

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 11:59 pm
I finally gave in and started using my insurances option of 90 day mail in prescription. The first order did get stuck but I was able to get an emergency sample supply

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 12:06 am
What does 90 day mail in prescription mean?

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 12:15 am
Have you tried capsule? Don't know if they have the specific medicine but they are an online pharmacy that has free delivery and takes most insurances

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 12:24 am
We switched to a drug with better availability.

iamamommy

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 2:26 am
You mentioned you are in Brooklyn, not sure if you looked and/or can go to other areas easily (ie travel farther), but, best thing is to cast a wide net: try contacting pharmacies in other boroughs maybe (or even try Long Island and/or Monsey) pharmacies, if you can get there. I have had to travel to other states to get for my child.

Sadly, the National/International shortage makes is hard everywhere. Capsule, I saw suggested by another poster, only services a few States (I think PA, NY maybe NJ and CT), but they, and many other online places, are not able to fill certain medications because it’s the fact that the manufacturers are low on supply and/or slow in production. Also, depending on which distributers/warehouses each pharmacy uses will determine if a supply is even accessible. The type of shortage waxes and wanes every few months (ie a pharmacy out of it now may have in two months, but then those which have some in stock now may not have any in a few months) it goes in cycles.

Good luck in your quest and sorry you are in the boat we are all finding ourselves in these days.

Agreed, it is very (beyond) frustrating, and everyone who is in “this” (ie in need of only one type of (or class of) pills, or even only one brand (or its generic) which is “the only” one for their child) is in the same situation ever since the start of COVID, sorry you are in it too, but know you are not alone.

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 2:40 am
We are having this problem in Israel as well.
My bil had to travel and hour to the only pharmacy which had his in.
We also had to shop around but found still near us.

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 3:26 am
Not in NY but similar issue with another brand- Vyvanse.

To add to any shortage due to supply chain issues, we have to add to it the fact that the government in the USA actually made this shortage worse. The FDA put an artificial cap on how much any one manufacturer can store the ingredients and make each month. Instead of it being supply and demand.

So when Vyvanse was allowed to be made into a generic last fall, the generic companies were limited on how much they could make. And insurance companies decided they would only cover the generic even if it wasn't available. So anyone who took Vyvanse now is switching brands. Which impacts all the other ADHD meds.

Thank our brilliant government.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 3:59 am
Alas, that is true, in general, even without caps. The shortages all over have created people to switch from one classification of pills to another, making the demand for certain brands (or generics) to only aid the supply/demand issues - it’s been a mess for the past few years and it lulls, then spikes, in various ways. We were doing well b”H with obtaining meds, then we weren’t, cycling on/off over the past three years. A friend told me recently she traveled to another state to receive her child’s prescriptions, but we cannot easily do that every month. However, we do get the same fear every month our child will not get what is needed, it’s exhausting.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 4:53 am

Last edited by amother on Tue, Feb 13 2024, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

imasinger

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 7:46 am
If any of the pharmacies you'd call are part of a national chain, you can ask them to look up the nearest branches that have at least 30 days supply in stock.

After that, it's worth it to call that branch directly and confirm, then get the dr to send the e-scrip over ASAP.

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:13 am
I didn’t read the other replies so I’m sorry if this is repeated info. However sometimes you can have your insurance override the generic policy if you can only get the name brand. Call your company up and explain. They know of the shortages-they have lists every month of all the drugs that are back ordered.
But yes it’s very frustrating. Some drugs that were harder to get before are doing better now. Hopefully that can give you some hope. But just try to refill and look around as early as you can. I know of all drugs it’s hard with a controlled substance bc they really have tighter rules with prescriptions and pharmacies giving out info. Hatzlacha. Just know you’re not alone. The whole country is suffering through this and has been for months and months if not over a year already.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)