Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Snow day- what are your kids doing right now?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:37 am
I hate snow days..too many kids too small of a house not enough space to contain the messes not enough things to do to keep busy all day too much fighting too much food being prepared and eaten all day too many wet soggy gloves and coats and boots all over the living room muddy footprints everywhere..
Well with all that I do want to have somewhat of a productive day. Ish.
What are your kids doing right now?
What are you planning on doing with them soon?

Highstrung

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:43 am
Right now , asking me when they could play out in the snow. I was asked at least 30 times in the last half hour .
Why is it that on snow days with no school my kids wake up super early . But on a regular school day I’m still fighting with them 10 minutes before the bus comes, to get out of bed?

I have to work , so it’ll be a juggle .

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:45 am
My kids are in school. No snow day here.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:49 am
Highstrung wrote:
Right now , asking me when they could play out in the snow. I was asked at least 30 times in the last half hour .
Why is it that on snow days with no school my kids wake up super early . But on a regular school day I’m still fighting with them 10 minutes before the bus comes, to get out of bed?

I think you answered your own question. They wake up early because they want to go play in the snow.

Snow is a hundred times more fun than bed.
Bed is more fun than school.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:52 am
Highstrung wrote:

Same. We were outside playing at an hour I would normally trying to convince them to get dressed because we have to leave in 3 minutes.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:54 am
Are mine the only ones watching a video because...well because ? Sad

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:57 am
Nothing wrong with that, it’s a snow day! I would want them to daven first though

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:59 am
amother OP wrote:
I hate snow days..too many kids too small of a house not enough space to contain the messes not enough things to do to keep busy all day too much fighting too much food being prepared and eaten all day too many wet soggy gloves and coats and boots all over the living room muddy footprints everywhere..
Well with all that I do want to have somewhat of a productive day. Ish.
What are your kids doing right now?
What are you planning on doing with them soon?

You shouldn’t write that you have “too many” kids. That’s not the way we talk.

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 9:05 am
I’m babysitting a neighbor’s child who has been asking to go outside to play in the snow since 7am 😅

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 9:10 am
amother OP wrote:
Are mine the only ones watching a video because...well because ? Sad

Nope, my 7 year old is watching because I’m beyond exhausted. (I should be sleeping, I shouldn’t be on here)

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 9:11 am
amother Bergamot wrote:

I don’t think that’s what she meant. I think she just meant too many for the small space.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 9:15 am
amother Bergamot wrote:

Imamother is a safe place to hide out on snowy days. Op can say whatever she wants. I’m sure she loves every one of her kids passionately.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 10:33 am
amother Wallflower wrote:
Nothing wrong with that, it’s a snow day! I would want them to daven first though

Davening- thanks for reminder.
I turned off video. Now what?
Do your kids find things to do naturally? Mine don't seem to know how to entertain themselves.
With no video to watch they're literally just walking around aimlessly or sitting in one spot asking how much longer until they can watch again or hanging on me kvetching.
How come when I was a kid I remember PLAYING for hours? I don't remember my mother ever telling me can you please fo find something to do and not hang on me ?
How do you teach kids to play?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 10:34 am
Need more activities to introduce to them...whats next?

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 10:38 am
Would you bake with them? Or even play music they can listen/dance too?

My ds was up from 5 so we had some screen time then played Ispy and now he’s coloring

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 10:40 am
OP - can you take a deep breath and visualize with your eyes closes what you would want as a child?
And give your kids those dreams you didnt get to have.
Breathe, smile and go have fun with them.
Just chill with them.
They want memories. They want warm love.
Anything.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 10:41 am
I want to bake but it inevitably turns to fighting.

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 10:46 am
amother OP wrote:
I want to bake but it inevitably turns to fighting.

I think if you set everything up in pre-portion bowls, and then give each kid a certain part of the recipe it will help minimize fighting

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 10:50 am
I hate snow days! Hate them really badly! Right now my kids are playing and fighting in the snow all at once. They keep on coming in for stuff and they're trailing snow all over the place. I'm trying to get some work done, I work from home. Haha, who am I kidding. Nothing's getting done today.

yamz

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 10:55 am
OP, try to reframe for yourself. Remember when you were a kid and you were so excited when you had a snow day? It's just a day to relax, a break from routine. There's no "right way" to spend the day.

First off, food. Easy lunch and easy supper. Maybe a pot of pasta for one meal and toast and scrambled eggs for another. Or french fries and chicken nuggets? Slice some vegetables to go with the meals.

On to activities. See if any of these suggestions appeal to you.

- Let the kids play in the snow and then make hot cocoa. Bonus points if you have mini marshmallows.

-play a boardgame

Build a fort with pillows, blankets, and chairs

- coloring/ crafts. Give them paper, crayons,glue, little pom-poms, buttons, strips of tissue paper....

-Bake cookies. Now you have a snack and activity in one!

- healthier option - make popcorn

- make paper airplanes and have them see how far they can fly

- you take a break while they watch something. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this as long as you're okay with them having occasional screentime! Even if it's a longer amount of time than you usually allow.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics