Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Books or websites on kashering a kitchen

LNG40

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 11:22 pm
So I know this is a very broad question. I’m a BT, my husband grew up in an MO/Sephardic household. We are now BH on the path of being more religious than what he grew up with. In the last year and a half of marriage we kept our kitchen kosher in a similar style to his mother. We know though that there are many things we should be doing different. We are now moving to a new apartment and want to start off with the kitchen at a higher level so to speak. For our whole marriage we have not lived with a community, although finally we will now in the new place. Point is we don’t really have someone to ask for advice. I know we don’t need to do everything right away but I want to do what we can. We also need to buy mostly all new pots and plates. For example today my husband and I had a good long discussion untangling parve and what we should buy as parve. Again not something he really grew up with. It made our heads hurt for a bit but I think we sorted it out! I’m realizing there are so many other things I want to learn about. Are there any websites or books that explains these intricacies in an easy to digest format? I know so much depends on what your Rav says but since we don’t have one, we prefer to do things Sephardic style but not all my husbands minhagim are purely Sephardic. Any advice or tips is so appreciated!

Light1234

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 7:57 pm
Mazal tov on your apartment, how exciting!
Chabad is an amazing resource. They really have all the answers you need to get started.

https://www.chabad.org/library.....aking

Chabad has an article for basically any koshering question you have, but sometimes, the articles are hard to find (because there are so many). I find it easiest to just type into Google, "Chabad" and "how to kosher oven" (or whatever question you have). Often you'll get to the right page that way.

Is there a Chabad house near you? Usually they offer services to come and kosher your kitchen for you and will do it as a volunteer (with donations if possible).

About the Sephardi customs, so I was Ashkenazi and then married Sephardi. Obviously it depends on the person, but for me, I found that almost everything was the same. My husband (Yemenite) was more lenient on minor issues like changing the tablecloths and using certain dishes, but 99% was the same. That's why I suggest starting with Chabad basics and then you can cut and add later as you figure out what you guys like.

dena613

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:00 pm
Also kashrus websites like OU, Star K, and Chicago CRC have kashering articles.

But please find a rov

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:16 pm
You can call 1-888-GO-KOSHER. Go Kosher specializes in kashering kitchens and deal with a lot of people who did not previously keep kosher. If they don’t service your area in person, they can answer questions on the phone. I haven’t dealt with them in person in nearly twenty years, but they’re still up and running. They are very helpful and they asked us for a donation rather than a set fee if we were able to contribute.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen