Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where to move? aliya or usa
1  2  3  Next

rockinmom

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 9:28 pm
We need to make a move. we are coming from out of town and need a more mid size community where we can see a future. We are right wing YU and both teach kodesh so that adds a challenge to our search. Have also thought about aliyah but not sure what we can do there employment wise.

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 10:37 pm
Come home to Israel.

One of the 613 mitzvahs into live in Israel Just like keeping Shabbos. Hashem provides Parnassa, He definitely provides a lot in His country. There are lots of opportunities for English speaking in chinuch. If you come to be close to Hashem you'll see tons of success in every area of life. (Coming with a bad attitude or as a chuztnik that's a hindrance).

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 11:18 pm
rockinmom wrote:
We need to make a move. we are coming from out of town and need a more mid size community where we can see a future. We are right wing YU and both teach kodesh so that adds a challenge to our search. Have also thought about aliyah but not sure what we can do there employment wise.

Why cant you be teachers in Eretz Yisrael? 🤔

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 11:36 pm
Israel. I live in the US and based on the antisemitism of younger generations there isn't much of a future here for Jews, unless something changes drastically.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 11:39 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Why cant you be teachers in Eretz Yisrael? 🤔

Because the system can be absolutely brutal. Transferring credentials can be a multi-year nightmare. Kodesh teaching positions are hard to come by. Most people scramble to find multiple jobs to fill the time until they literally can’t anymore and leave the field or leave Israel if they’ve been looking for a job for too long and are simply out of money.

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 11:42 pm
I vote Israel Smile

rockinmom

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 11:59 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
Because the system can be absolutely brutal. Transferring credentials can be a multi-year nightmare. Kodesh teaching positions are hard to come by. Most people scramble to find multiple jobs to fill the time until they literally can’t anymore and leave the field or leave Israel if they’ve been looking for a job for too long and are simply out of money.

This is our dilemma. Without a way of making money aliyah generally fails.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 2:05 am
If you have legitimate credentials from a recognized institute of higher education,transferring credentials should not pose a problem.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 2:06 am
amother Smokey wrote:
If you have legitimate credentials from a recognized institute of higher education,transferring credentials should not pose a problem.

Are you sure about that? Many things you cannot transfer over at all or easily. Do you know for sure that all teaching credentials are transferable?

Rappel

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 2:11 am
rockinmom wrote:
This is our dilemma. Without a way of making money aliyah generally fails.

It is possible to teach before you fulfill your teaching certification, though the salary will be lower.

DH is currently doing a one-year course to get that certification as an English teacher through the מכללה , as someone whom already has an academic degree.

There are various programs like that. It's worth examining.

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 2:33 am
Even though I live in Israel, I have never been one of those who encouraged people to come if they were not 100% committed to the process and had all the details meticulously worked out. I got that it's a huge move and not so simple to just pick up and settle here.

Today I sing a completely different tune! The rise of global antisemitism is absolutely terrifying and I firmly believe that anyone who can, should come. It won't be easy that's for sure, but I don't think staying in Chul is safer or more secure at all.

camp123

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 3:04 am
If you are thinking of aliyah your best option is to visit RBS and go into the American schools and speak to the teachers there. They'll be able to give you are realistic take on employment and salaries. There are opportunities in Israel but you need to come, talk to people and then make an informed decision. Things here change rapidly, new schools need to be opened bc the aliyah rate is so high. Don't listen to people who give you advice from a few years ago, find out what opportunities there are now.

salt

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 3:37 am
I don't think becoming teachers in regular Israeli schools would be so easy for Olim, unless you are thick skinned and have fluent Hebrew, but there is always teaching in American seminaries and yeshivos, teaching in michlalot/ colleges, teaching English to adults, teaching privately.

If your kids are young you will be doing them the biggest favour by making aliya now.

a2z

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 4:56 am
salt wrote:
I don't think becoming teachers in regular Israeli schools would be so easy for Olim, unless you are thick skinned and have fluent Hebrew, but there is always teaching in American seminaries and yeshivos, teaching in michlalot/ colleges, teaching English to adults, teaching privately.

If your kids are young you will be doing them the biggest favour by making aliya now.

Very thick skin

Btw what about remote teaching?

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 5:21 am
I would also check out teacher salaries in Israel. I live here and from what I hear teacher salaries are ridiculously low and many jobs are part time. Full time teaching jobs are difficult to get and also have very low salaries. I have known teachers who left the profession due to pay. Part time teachers sit in the teacher's room between classes and are only paid for the classes they teach. Many teachers don't even earn enough to cover rent, municipal taxes, and Vaad Habayit.

Success10

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 5:24 am
amother Daphne wrote:
I would also check out teacher salaries in Israel. I live here and from what I hear teacher salaries are ridiculously low and many jobs are part time. I have known teachers who left the profession due to pay. Part time teachers sit in the teacher's room between classes and are only paid for the classes they teach. Many teachers don't even earn enough to cover rent, municipal taxes, and Vaad Habayit.

I haven't heard this. I have friends who teach. Teacher's salaries are government controlled and they do nicely, get paid for their hours at home grading tests and speaking to parents.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 5:53 am
I'm not in teaching, so I didn't follow it closely, but didn't they raise teachers' salaries all over, after the labor disputes and strikes that were about two years ago?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 5:59 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
I'm not in teaching, so I didn't follow it closely, but didn't they raise teachers' salaries all over, after the labor disputes and strikes that were about two years ago?

They still are starting on salaries of about 8,000 nis x 2 = 16k which is really tight for a family, unless they go further out where cost of living is lower, but salaries are lower as well....

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 6:03 am
OP the only place to live is Israel. That being said, If you can't make Aliyah at the moment, check out the smaller places that are growing in the States, such as Rhode Island, and Kentucky. I just saw an add this past week about their community and school. Maybe a new start with your family will bring you Simcha and Hatzlocha. We need Torah all over.

amother
Firethorn

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 6:12 am
How old are you children? For children it’s brutal to move to Israel. It’s a huge cultural shock and The Israeli kids will eat them alive. There are a lot of American kids that go of the derech in Israel.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating