Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Nursing home themed mm
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 9:46 pm
Any ideas?

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 9:51 pm
Apple sauce
Tea
- old people food

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 9:52 pm
Prunes?

613mitzvahgirl

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 9:57 pm
Um, excuse me- but this shouldn’t be allowed. To make fun of older people and their situation is totally inexcusable. I’m so upset how you can think to ask this. But then again I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt thinking your phone or computer was hacked bc nobody in their right frame of mind would ask this. I really hope this is the case.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 10:04 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
Um, excuse me- but this shouldn’t be allowed. To make fun of older people and their situation is totally inexcusable. I’m so upset how you can think to ask this. But then again I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt thinking your phone or computer was hacked bc nobody in their right frame of mind would ask this. I really hope this is the case.
lol

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 10:09 pm
Mike n ikes as pills
Candy CANES
Teeth gummies
Applesauce

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 10:14 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:

Maybe she or her husband work at a nursing home. It's bringing awareness not making fun of anyone. Please don't get upset over costumes. It a mitzva to dress up and it brings joy to all who see it.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 10:25 pm
Can you please explain - what is a “nursing home themed” mm?

Please do not say that everyone in the family is dressing as “old people” with nursing home foods as the food? …?!

I Agree with previous poster, please say it’s s typo or please try to get us to understand where something would not be seen as offensive in this theme mm… If, for example, all the bubbies and zaydes (whom are on any mml list) receive a bag or pack with ie waxed false teeth (the candy ones) prunes, tea applesauce and some poem about “aging with grace” - while some may find funny, most may find in poor taste (by the way being older doesn’t always mean pureed food, tea or prunes in anyone’s diet (I have seen foods served in nursing homes to residents, having visited many elderly relatives a”h/zt”l at meal
times - perhaps if you do so you will see why rethinking such a theme is suggested by many here.

Maybe, can we all, as collective mothers/imas suggest other themes and foods to explore…

Sorry OP but - not really understanding this thread title or idea.

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 11:19 pm
Have you never seen those adorable babies dressed as old people with walkers?
I personally don’t see anything wrong with what OP is asking
If those little kids with walkers gave mm with the above mentioned ideas, I’d think it’s adorabke

agreer

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 12:29 am
Horrible theme.
Please abort.

no, I don't think toddlers with walkers and white hair are cute.
Maybe b/c I was fortunate to see my grandparents get old... this just seems like a very insensitive theme.

Reality

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 1:25 am
When little kids dress up as Bubby and Zaidy I think it's cute. But the mishloach manot given out is usually with a positive spin like the good old days. So people give traditional oatmeal cookies, Bubby's famous chicken soup or food from the "alte heim".

A nursing home theme in my opinion is very disrespectful and giving out gummy false teeth and prunes is just beyond gross.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 1:34 am
Old fashioned mm like, paper plate with doily, a hamantash, an orange, and a grape juice. In a plastic bag.

Or a homemade babka for a Bobby, Or for food a Bobby would make. Or muhn cake. Kindel. Traditional food, there is a type of cookie that resembles gefilte fish.

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 2:49 am
I agree this is offensive.
My had Parkinson’s and died YOUNG in a nursing home, and he lost his teeth due to a medication, couldn’t swallow well, and was eating this mushed up food in his early 60s.

You can be bubbies and zeidies and eat old fashioned food. Do not make fun of peoples bodies not functioning

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 3:15 am
amother Magnolia wrote:
I agree this is offensive.
My had Parkinson’s and died YOUNG in a nursing home, and he lost his teeth due to a medication, couldn’t swallow well, and was eating this mushed up food in his early 60s.

You can be bubbies and zeidies and eat old fashioned food. Do not make fun of peoples bodies not functioning

This.
Don’t do this op. I can’t believe this needs to be said. There is nothing cute or funny about lack of bodily function. Whether it comes about as a result of illness or whether the person needs a walker or can’t chew and digest food because they’re old, it’s not a theme for mm, it’s a tragedy.

Rappel

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 3:37 am
*sarcasm alert*

Hmmmm... Ideas:

*Urine catheter full of apple juice
*Miniaturized Suction tube -- bonus if you fill it with a gooey gel-like substance.
*Hammer-toe cookies
*A gematria explaining the connection between Hazalah's phone number and pain
*A sepsis pre-starter pack -- just shake this anonymous powder into a glass of water, and drink!!
*A variety of unlabeled pills, meant to be taken all at once. Guaranteed to give a creative result every time (see the Hatzalah gematria for a deeper explanation)
*A thoughtful notebook, in order to write down the numbers of all the people they would want to be called when they code.

I'm out of ideas for now, but everyone else is invited to build on this start.

Last edited by Rappel on Thu, Feb 15 2024, 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 3:44 am
Yes I don't think the theme is suitable. I think you could do something old fashioned and elegant looking with a lace napkin and/or pearl decorations. And food that a bubby would make. Something that glorifies old age instead of... well, the alternative.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:43 am
If the brand “Zayde’s” sells near you and it is yoshon/pas the way that suits your hashgacha - maybe that brand bulka with a babka for bobby like previous poster said, and gelt bc lots of bubbies and zaydes give gelt …and say something like have a rich (meaning well lived not wealthy) life with your bobby and zayde enjoy time with them and our theme ….otherwise dress the kids in the older get-up and give any-type nosh …like everyone else …no mm incorporated theme needed, IMH(or not so H)O.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 12:29 pm
I agree that this is not a nice theme. If you wanted to do a granny style thing like chicken soup, tea, grandma's cookies, that could be cute. Otherwise- really tacky if its davka nursing home. I once saw a family who did a homeless theme- couldn't believe making fun of the poor on Purim of all days. Be thoughtful about how you this. You could do medical and have everyone dress up like doctors- but please be careful about using candy like medicine- I think it sends a potentially dangerous message to young children.

amother
Heather

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 1:09 pm
I once got one along this theme don’t remember everything but remember a pill box by days of week filled with some stuff and maybe glasses…. Don’t think it was making fun but was just things older ppl usually tend to need.

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 1:40 pm
amother Heather wrote:
I once got one along this theme don’t remember everything but remember a pill box by days of week filled with some stuff and maybe glasses…. Don’t think it was making fun but was just things older ppl usually tend to need.

It’s really insensitive. “Old people” is one thing but literally making a theme out of people’s body breaking down is not right.
Imagine a cancer theme or an Alzheimer’s theme like come on. Have some sensitivity
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics