Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Nursing home themed mm
Previous  1  2  3  Next

love2run

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 2:00 pm
Wooooowww everyone chill out!
I think it can be a very cute themed idea if done right and respectfully. No need to attack OP over such an innocent question. Can't Believe It

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 2:21 pm
Pill bottles and inside put the money candy. (Candy with $ on the side)

With apple juice.

https://bloomskosher.com/produ.....bulk/

613mitzvahgirl

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 2:27 pm
It’s not an innocent question. It’s a very rude question. I just can’t get over the fact how low can ppl go and agree with this idea. This just isn’t at all excusable. I’d be mortified if I saw this, especially coming from Yidden who just witnessed the horrible horrific tragedy in simchas Torah! I’m just so hurt and mad right now!! I just can’t!!

love2run

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 2:33 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
It’s not an innocent question. It’s a very rude question. I just can’t get over the fact how low can ppl go and agree with this idea. This just isn’t at all excusable. I’d be mortified if I saw this, especially coming from Yidden who just witnessed the horrible horrific tragedy in simchas Torah! I’m just so hurt and mad right now!! I just can’t!!

Hate to disagree with you but I think you are being a little dramatic. This has nothing to do with being low or the tragedy we went thru on Simchat Torah. She isn't making fun of anyone here. She thought of an idea that can be very cute and well presented if done right.
But we can agree to disagree and I still think there is no reason to be so harsh to OP. With everything we went thru on Oct 7th I'm surprised people aren't being a little nicer to someone asking a question.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 2:38 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:

With apple juice.

Very bad idea don’t do this. Never send candy in a pill bottle. I hope I don’t need to explain.
This thread is unbelievable it’s going from bad to worse. Op please don’t take this personally. Some things are just not acceptable even in the name of a matching costume mm theme.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 2:38 pm
It’s not just a question- it’s a lack of derech Eretz to the elders in the community, and then to make fun of them when they did so much for us. You can call me stupid and crazy, I don’t care. I care about the elderly and frankly I feel like this generation is at an all time low. I’m not one to judge, just saying my feelings.

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 2:39 pm
I'm assuming this is a joke.

love2run

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 2:47 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
It’s not just a question- it’s a lack of derech Eretz to the elders in the community, and then to make fun of them when they did so much for us. You can call me stupid and crazy, I don’t care. I care about the elderly and frankly I feel like this generation is at an all time low. I’m not one to judge, just saying my feelings.

I think it all depends on how you look at it. You're looking at it from the perspective of making fun. I'm looking at it from the perspective that if my kids wanted to dress up like their bubby and Zaidy its bec they love them and respect them. Just like my kids want to dress up as a kallah or Mordechai or a rabbi. No one is making fun here.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 2:49 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
Very bad idea don’t do this. Never send candy in a pill bottle. I hope I don’t need to explain.
This thread is unbelievable it’s going from bad to worse. Op please don’t take this personally. Some things are just not acceptable even in the name of a matching costume mm theme.

I’m saying buy bottles online. And put the candy with the wrapper inside.
But you’re right.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 2:54 pm
You can dress up like your Bubby and Zaydie and give out their specialties and favorite foods. That is respectful. Mocking old people and giving applesauce and dentures is not OK.

The later is even worse than the year someone gave newborn diapers with a date inside.

Class is more important than being the “most creative “.

love2run

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 3:02 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
You can dress up like your Bubby and Zaydie and give out their specialties and favorite foods. That is respectful. Mocking old people and giving applesauce and dentures is not OK.

The later is even worse than the year someone gave newborn diapers with a date inside.

Class is more important than being the “most creative “.

Ofcourse! That's why I said if it is presented well. I was not commenting on what people were suggesting I was just sticking up for OP being jumped on for asking a question that I believe was very innocent but came across the wrong way.
That's all

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 3:06 pm
I got dressed up as a fancy old lady when I was a child. My brother was an old grandpa. We looked adorable! Nothing wrong with it!

We did not match mm to "theme"!
Who knew about themes then??? LOL there was no such a thing!

Tao

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 3:18 pm
Omg. I can't believe people are taking this so personally!
Firstly. Kids generally want to dress up as something they like/want to be. Hence, the disproportionate amount of kallahs/princesses/fairies/policemen/firemen that go running around every year. I say, if your kid loves her Bubby so much she wants to be her, that's amazing!

Secondly. It's a huge bracha to reach old age. Especially someone who has raised beautiful yiddishe doros and lived to see and enjoy them. This is not a bracha given to many in the past (I mean, unless you're going back to the Torah's times). Old age should be celebrated!

Thirdly. Why do you think a costume is "making fun"? I think it's the opposite; giving it chashivus! If my kids dresses up as a kallah, does that mean I'm mocking marriage? I mean....

Fourthly. Many people are in an old age home just because they need some assistance, it's not davka a bad thing. I recently met a man who is 94 ba"h. He jogs every day. He speaks 7 languages fluently. He is tall and straight-backed, and a great conversationalist! I really enjoyed speaking with him. As soon as he left I said, "Now THAT is what you mean when you wish people arichas yamim!" This guy is so full of life and simchas hachaim. Yeah, he lives in an old age home; he is, after all, not 21 anymore. But there's nothing to make fun of there, only a whole lot to admire!

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 3:35 pm
love2run wrote:
I think it all depends on how you look at it. You're looking at it from the perspective of making fun. I'm looking at it from the perspective that if my kids wanted to dress up like their bubby and Zaidy its bec they love them and respect them. Just like my kids want to dress up as a kallah or Mordechai or a rabbi. No one is making fun here.

Bubby and Zeidy theme is not the same as nursing home theme.

love2run

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 4:03 pm
Tao wrote:
Omg. I can't believe people are taking this so personally!
Firstly. Kids generally want to dress up as something they like/want to be. Hence, the disproportionate amount of kallahs/princesses/fairies/policemen/firemen that go running around every year. I say, if your kid loves her Bubby so much she wants to be her, that's amazing!

Secondly. It's a huge bracha to reach old age. Especially someone who has raised beautiful yiddishe doros and lived to see and enjoy them. This is not a bracha given to many in the past (I mean, unless you're going back to the Torah's times). Old age should be celebrated!

Thirdly. Why do you think a costume is "making fun"? I think it's the opposite; giving it chashivus! If my kids dresses up as a kallah, does that mean I'm mocking marriage? I mean....

Fourthly. Many people are in an old age home just because they need some assistance, it's not davka a bad thing. I recently met a man who is 94 ba"h. He jogs every day. He speaks 7 languages fluently. He is tall and straight-backed, and a great conversationalist! I really enjoyed speaking with him. As soon as he left I said, "Now THAT is what you mean when you wish people arichas yamim!" This guy is so full of life and simchas hachaim. Yeah, he lives in an old age home; he is, after all, not 21 anymore. But there's nothing to make fun of there, only a whole lot to admire!

Thank you for being able to say it so much better then me!

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 5:45 pm
love2run wrote:

That's why others were saying a Bubby/Zeidy theme would be more appropriate, with suggestions for it including babke and gelt to give out like a loving Bubby/Zeidy would do. OP suggested a "nursing home" theme, and suggestions included pureed food, gummy teeth, and prunes. Can you see the difference?

Highstrung

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 5:51 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:

With apple juice.

Why money? Not all grandparents / elderly have money.

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 6:52 pm
If people bH have no real life experience with nursing homes they might think this is an ok MM theme. Anyone who understands what a nursing home is really like will be horrified by this theme.

My dh works in a nursing home and I used to. Hashem should bentch all of us to never be taken out of their homes and cared for by poorly educated, overworked, underpaid caregivers. Hashem please let us never be vulnerable and at the mercy of others.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:12 pm
I don’t think OP should be bashed and I’m not into being offended by every little thing. But I am now dealing with an elderly parent. It. Is. Not. Fun. So while I wouldn’t be offended by a nursing home MM theme, I would definitely not be amused. OTOH a Bubby and Zeidy theme giving out traditional goodies is a nice idea.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:28 pm
Because the op sees the lucrative Side of nursing homes and opulent lifestyle that Those involved in the executive level of the nursing homes in our community live by and therefore, she wants to pay homage to that Luxurious lifestyle, or even worse, advertise to her community that she is a part of that lifestyle That’s why she wants to do it. How sad.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics