Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Potato kugel HELP
  Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 12:38 pm
amother Lily wrote:
It’s because you’re mixing up my posts and hers. I use water, she uses oil. Try both and let us know which you liked better. Very Happy

No no, Im not mixing up, I think.
But I mainly kept reading to add water to reheat , not oil.

amother
Oldlace

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Just a quick update for those who aren’t sick of hearing about my kugel saga.

The overnight version was a huge hit.
Apparently there’s something special about that super baked wet kugel.

However, it’s 2 different things.
Like I’d make 1 for Thursday that’s just fresh, and then continue to overnight one for Friday/sbabbos.

Question…
Do I need to make 2 different kugels? Or whatever is left after Thursday supper can then be covered and overnighted or it doesn’t work this way?

For the foreseeable future I will still be making more than 2 kugels since I’m trying it all out.

Another update.
As many many of you mentioned, there’s nothing like fresh kugel. The leftover rewarmed slices were good. But not the same.
Still no one complained.

I even got an “I love you” note stuck onto my phone from one of my sons. He clarified that it’s because of the abundance of delicious kugels I made and not “just because”
I’ll take it gladly.

Gut shabbos everyone.
Thank you for sticking around and cheering me on and helping a lost mama out.
We are a wonderful nation, taking our potato kugels so seriously.

Coming up next week.
The best cholent recipe and hidden TRICKS.
I sort of suck at that too. But I promise that’s where it ends. From there on out I’m a balabusta. As you can recall, I felt the intense need to share that part about myself on my very first post.

❤️

If kugel which is pretty standard was a ride, brace yourself for chulent!

amother
Begonia

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
No no, Im not mixing up, I think.
But I mainly kept reading to add water to reheat , not oil.

Add water for overnight style reheating

sara1232

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:15 pm
schoolbus wrote:
I personally don’t like the taste of Yukon potato kugel

Update: I tried making my kugel today with Idaho potatoes and I didn't like it. The yukon is a lot lighter, which I prefer.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:37 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
If kugel which is pretty standard was a ride, brace yourself for chulent!

Are you gently suggesting I should stay clear of that topic?
Am I kind of reading between the lines ?

I can imagine we’ll get more recipes but less techniques?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:38 pm
sara1232 wrote:
Update: I tried making my kugel today with Idaho potatoes and I didn't like it. The yukon is a lot lighter, which I prefer.

Interesting -
I’ll try Yukon and compare.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:39 pm
sara1232 wrote:

Interesting -
I’ll try Yukon and compare.

bp1234

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:42 pm
amother OP wrote:

No!!! Please do cholent next!!!! Mine comes out so different every week! Sometimes delicious, sometimes not as much. I don’t follow an exact recipe, but not sure what it is that can take it from eh to yum! Would love love love to hear!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:48 pm
bp1234 wrote:
No!!! Please do cholent next!!!! Mine comes out so different every week! Sometimes delicious, sometimes not as much. I don’t follow an exact recipe, but not sure what it is that can take it from eh to yum! Would love love love to hear!

You got my vote. I feel the same way.

Lately I keep hearing of people doing it in the oven and they claim they’re never going back to a crockpot. Let’s start a new thread next week and see if people are as enthusiastic about cholent as they are about kugel.

At least I’ll have 1 person responding. Thank you bp1234

amother
Oldlace

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:51 pm
amother OP wrote:

Totally not. Please do!
You'll get more recipes and even more techniques.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:56 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
Totally not. Please do!
You'll get more recipes and even more techniques.

Great- we got another vote.

This time I’ll offer my entire neighborhood cholent (and kugel!!) for Thursday night supper so I won’t feel bad about doing so many cholents.
I happen to have 3 crockpots. 6 burners(meat) and 2 meat ovens.
I think we can handle every option here.
See you on the other side.

Why does this make me so giddy with joy?

Ok, time to embrace the shabbos and kugels.

amother
White

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 3:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Seltzer vs water , ok, there were some recipes with selzter which I will now have to try.
And Yukon. So I will def try your recipe because it has a few components I need to try. Thank you.

Oops now I got mixed up I meant to say I don’t like Yukon! I only use Idaho. Yukon gives off a sweeter kugel and color is more yellow. The Idaho is not sweet and gives a more white color. I personally only use Idaho for kugel and use Yukon for mashed potato recipes

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 4:29 pm
I mix in a few Idaho into the Yukon. Heaven

amother
Mintcream

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 4:42 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
I mix in a few Idaho into the Yukon. Heaven

I mix in a few Yukon to the Idaho 😊

Some people like kugel moist in my family and others like it more thick- potatoey, so this makes the texture a good compromise.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 2:26 pm
I know we’re all sick of hearing about potato kugel. Especially on a Sunday.
But I do feel the need to share that the vitamin c kugel stays white no matter what!
Now I’m not sure if that means anything at all but figured I’d share.
Also, my family enjoyed the leftover kugel today and no one complained.

I am raising kugel monsters here.

Overnight ones are preferred. But there’s something about fresh kugel.

I’ll continue to test more on Wednesday/Thursday.

Until then, enjoy your kugel break.

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 2:54 pm
No! No breaks from kugel!

For my part, I tried baking the kugel only on 400 instead of at 350 or 375 or whatever my oven was already set on. Definitely makes a very big difference! I think we'll just have to continue that for future weeks.

My kugel stays white enough without any tricks though, even though there's a break between peeling and processing. Right after processing I mix with the eggs and oil and straight into the oven.

Looking forward to the cholent thread also!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 3:01 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
No! No breaks from kugel!

For my part, I tried baking the kugel only on 400 instead of at 350 or 375 or whatever my oven was already set on. Definitely makes a very big difference! I think we'll just have to continue that for future weeks.

My kugel stays white enough without any tricks though, even though there's a break between peeling and processing. Right after processing I mix with the eggs and oil and straight into the oven.

Looking forward to the cholent thread also!

Do you overnight it? I guess that’s the term people use when they mean they covered it tightly and baked on a lower temp for a while.

I would love to start the cholent thread since I want to know if I need to order special meats, but I think I’ll wait until Tuesday to at least let the people have 2 days break of shabbos food. Although 1 of my sisters claim she’d love to eat shabbos food all week.
Sunday and Monday leftover shabbos food. Tuesday shnitzel, Wednesday she’s ready for the fresh shabbos food again.
My kids might be taking that gene from her.

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 3:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do you overnight it? I guess that’s the term people use when they mean they covered it tightly and baked on a lower temp for a while.

I would love to start the cholent thread since I want to know if I need to order special meats, but I think I’ll wait until Tuesday to at least let the people have 2 days break of shabbos food. Although 1 of my sisters claim she’d love to eat shabbos food all week.
Sunday and Monday leftover shabbos food. Tuesday shnitzel, Wednesday she’s ready for the fresh shabbos food again.
My kids might be taking that gene from her.

No, I bake mine uncovered at the same temp for 1.5 or 2 hours or so.

I tried once to do overnight but it just tasted like cholent and ruined a perfectly good kugel. (Unless I was doing it wrong.)

I have been making a pareve cholent recently, and it's not bad, but I'd love to have a REALLY good cholent.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 3:18 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
No, I bake mine uncovered at the same temp for 1.5 or 2 hours or so.

I tried once to do overnight but it just tasted like cholent and ruined a perfectly good kugel. (Unless I was doing it wrong.)

I have been making a pareve cholent recently, and it's not bad, but I'd love to have a REALLY good cholent.

1.5-2 hours seems like the regular time people bake for regular kugel. You didn’t lower the temp after you did 400 this week?

I happen to like parve cholent , but that’s not what the boys want around here.
Hopefully the people on here will be as helpful about cholent as they were about kugel.

I was/am so so thankful to every single response sharing their recipe, method, trick -and tip.
It gave me such a boost of confidence and feel good feeling.

Apples

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 7:16 pm
Op, thanks for this thread! It was a fun read! Just to give you some more ideas, ill share how I make potato kugel. I do a mix of regular loose potatoes and Yukon gold. I don't like Yukon gold by itself, but it definitely enhances the kugel. So a mix of both works well. And I also half of the potatoes fine shredded and half grated. I like the texture of the shredded, but not fully shredded, then its too much. So half and half was a great compromise! One more thing, I add the eggs after the potatoes are processed without beating it first. I find when the eggs are beaten the tend to settle more on the bottom of the kugel.
Hope this helps you in any way!
Page 12 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics