Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Chicken soup the night before

blueberry32

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:07 am
How would you prepare soup veggies the night before making the soup? Specifically carrots, zuchhini, onion, celery? Will they not taste fresh?

gdgirl

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:09 am
I do this all the time so I can just put up the soup quickly in the morning. no issues, no special prep, just peel and put in a bag in the fridge till you make the soup. I do it with carrot, zucchini and sometimes chayote.

penguin

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:15 am
I had to google chayote. (And spellcheck here never heard of it!) What does it taste like?

blueberry32

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:18 am
Perfect thanks. Can I do it with an onion also?
And same never heard of chayote.

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:26 am
I also do it the night before it makes it so much easier. I peel, carrots, clean celery, chop onions, prepare the dill, parsnip, sweet potato. It all goes in a Ziploc bag. In the morning I just add to the bones and let it cook with spices.

gdgirl

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:28 am
chayote, is harder than zuchini.. hard to describe but I think ive heard it described as a low carb potato? I peel it and cut in half and remove this big soft seed from the middle and then just cut again in quarters or eighths. we like it:) not so easy to find but walmart usually has it so I use it when walmart plus delivers it:)

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:35 am
I peel veggies and seal in a bag for the fridge. (If you use onion, that should be salted and kept separate).
I rinse and keep the chicken/bones in a separate bag, so that everything stays fresh for the next day when I'm ready to start the soup.
(If you leave them to sit together, they become a gooey mush.)

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:54 am
If you are chopping onion the night before, you should be aware that there are halachic issues with using onion that is peeled and left overnight, even if it is covered in a container.

I put my onion in a mix of salt water or oil and salt if they will not be cooked until the next day.

gdgirl

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 10:27 am
I think we are speaking about whole onion here, correct? does anyone actually put diced/chopped onion in chicken soup?!

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 10:43 am
gdgirl wrote:
I think we are speaking about whole onion here, correct? does anyone actually put diced/chopped onion in chicken soup?!

I slice my onion for chicken soup. But others mentioned prepping onion the night before. Presumably that means it's peeled and root is removed, which is an issue even if you don't dice it.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:14 am
What is the problem with onions? I peel and prep onions in advance all the time and never knew it was an issue. If it's for chicken soup I peel and leave it whole in the fridge. If it's for veg soup/ cholent I peel and dice it.
If it's for under chicken on the bone I slice it

Married 10 years and never knew this was an issue

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:21 am
amother NeonPurple wrote:
If you are chopping onion the night before, you should be aware that there are halachic issues with using onion that is peeled and left overnight, even if it is covered in a container.

I put my onion in a mix of salt water or oil and salt if they will not be cooked until the next day.

What does it help halachicwise, if the peeled onion is in salt water overnight?

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:26 am
amother Rainbow wrote:
What is the problem with onions? I peel and prep onions in advance all the time and never knew it was an issue. If it's for chicken soup I peel and leave it whole in the fridge. If it's for veg soup/ cholent I peel and dice it.
If it's for under chicken on the bone I slice it

Married 10 years and never knew this was an issue

https://oukosher.org/blog/cons.....free/

mizle10

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:27 am
I sprinkle salt on my onions if I'm leaving them overnight

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 10:34 pm
I'm not a rav (and I don't pretend to posken for others), but I learned that if the onion is spiced or dressed in some way, it no longer qualifies as simply a raw onion. There are similar issues for peeled eggs and garlic. Here's a link to the OU for more information. https://oukosher.org/blog/cons.....ra%20(Niddah%2C%2017a),foods%20is%20ruach%20ra'ah.

This is one of these technical Kashrut issues. I don't remember ever learning it, but I also don't remember my mother ever peeling onions in advance or shelling hardboiled eggs in advance.

Just as an aside on the topic of eggs, I like to watch cooking shows. Ina Garten, who grew up in a traditional home, but cooks really traif food, always separates her eggs into a glass bowl when baking. I think this is hilarious. She must have seen her mother do that. She has commented that she does it just in case she gets a "bad egg." What else could that mean.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 10:39 pm
gdgirl wrote:

When people put a whole onion in the chicken soup, they cut off the root. That is the halachic issue. If the root is cut off and it's being left raw overnight, it needs to be mixed with oil or salt.
https://outorah.org/p/49216/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics