Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help Me Figure out a Career
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 10:58 am
Hi Imas! Im Hoping someone can help me with a career dilemma/question
So, Im working in the same industry for 5+ years now, and I like it, but its not my dream job at all. (desk job)
My dream job would be working with people, listening to their problems and helping them get through it. Ive always been told by friends and family that I am a great listener, and problem solver. I gain satisfaction of listening, hashing out, and helping someone reach a decision, or even just gain clarity on their situation. I enjoy analyzing an issue, breaking it down and help people understand it better.
It is interesting that at the same time, Im not teacher material. I do not enjoy helping people learn with books.
I hope this ramble is not confusing lol
Bottom line is,
Is the a career, other than being a therapist, where I can utilize my strengths and help people?
I say other than therapist, because I know the schooling for it is long and hard, And im not sure if That would be the right time for my current stage in life.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:02 am
Life coach?

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:04 am
Case Manager

Intake Coordinator

Liaison

Academic Advisor

HR

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:05 am
Director of a healthcare place, coordinator there’s so many things you can do with your skill set

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:06 am
I work in staffing and recruiting. My boss actually had a first career as a social worker. I really like helping people. You can really improve some ones quality of life by helping them find a better job. But you dont have the emotional burden of being a therapist and the schooling.

If you like the elderly you can also do a lot with seniors.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:23 am
amother Rainbow wrote:
Life coach?

This sounds interesting.
How is it different than a therapist? Do I need a degree for this?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:24 am
amother Magenta wrote:
Director of a healthcare place, coordinator there’s so many things you can do with your skill set

Can you elaborate re the bolded please?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:26 am
mha3484 wrote:
I work in staffing and recruiting. My boss actually had a first career as a social worker. I really like helping people. You can really improve some ones quality of life by helping them find a better job. But you dont have the emotional burden of being a therapist and the schooling.

I tried recruiting, its not for me.
I need more than that

The emotional burden doesn't scare me. I have big shoulders, I can see myself working with it

And I dont think I would work well with seniors..

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:27 am
amother Apricot wrote:
Case Manager

Intake Coordinator

Liaison

Academic Advisor

HR

How do I get into this? Where can I find more info about these jobs?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 6:21 pm
Anyone? Please

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 6:24 pm
mha3484 wrote:

I’m interested in this.
What do you do- is it like a shadchan for jobs? What part of it are you involved in?
Do you need to know about different careers in order to place people (because you understand their strengths and how it matches what’s necessary to succeed in that field)?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 7:07 pm
Coaching
Doesn't have to be life, it can be something else that you know a lot about. Business coach, mindset coach, etc.
Brooke Castillo has a podcast and runs the life coach school
Don't buy Any fancy courses yet, just follow coaches on ig and listen to podcasts and see what you like

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 7:14 pm
You can become a career coach!

Or maybe working for one of the medical referral organizations would work for you?

jd1212

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 7:21 pm
Do you have a bachelor’s? An MSW or MHC is only 2 years + 2 years of paid supervision

Light1234

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 7:23 pm
Hi there,

It is amazing to hear that you enjoy helping people, breaking down problems, and are not afraid of emotions. I have a feeling that many people really need a trustworthy and strong person in their lives!

I want to push your buttons a little bit and question why exactly you're not considering therapy -- therapy given by a frum lady that is! You do NOT need to go to school for psychology nowadays. There are courses for frum women who want to do general talking/supportive therapy. I know that the Family Center has this in Yerushalayim: https://nevefamilyinstitute.org/. I am sure there are similar programs New York. I'm not an expert but I think the key is just to be transparent with your clients about what you're offering, I.e. you aren't a clinical psychologist but a support.

I also wanted to point out that you might want to consider whether you need to work full or part time. Coaching and therapy does not necessarily guarantee full time work.

There are so many other supportive roles you can consider. One that came to mind is Career Counselor. This would make amazing use of your skills. I saw a post in my city for this recently at the Jewish employment agency, maybe it can give you an idea. Here's the post. https://jvstoronto.applytojob......idget

Another idea is that of school guidance counselor for older high school girls who are figuring out life decisions, or seminary girls. You can look around at social organizations and charities who need support people, mentors, or community leaders.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:13 pm
Light1234 wrote:
Hi there,

It is amazing to hear that you enjoy helping people, breaking down problems, and are not afraid of emotions. I have a feeling that many people really need a trustworthy and strong person in their lives!

I want to push your buttons a little bit and question why exactly you're not considering therapy -- therapy given by a frum lady that is! You do NOT need to go to school for psychology nowadays. There are courses for frum women who want to do general talking/supportive therapy. I know that the Family Center has this in Yerushalayim: https://nevefamilyinstitute.org/. I am sure there are similar programs New York. I'm not an expert but I think the key is just to be transparent with your clients about what you're offering, I.e. you aren't a clinical psychologist but a support.

I also wanted to point out that you might want to consider whether you need to work full or part time. Coaching and therapy does not necessarily guarantee full time work.

There are so many other supportive roles you can consider. One that came to mind is Career Counselor. This would make amazing use of your skills. I saw a post in my city for this recently at the Jewish employment agency, maybe it can give you an idea. Here's the post. https://jvstoronto.applytojob......idget

Another idea is that of school guidance counselor for older high school girls who are figuring out life decisions, or seminary girls. You can look around at social organizations and charities who need support people, mentors, or community leaders.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!
I wish there was something like the Neve Fajily institute in Brooklyn! Does anyone know if there is?

I actually really like the school guidance counselor idea
The issue is that I'm chassidish, and chassidish schools don't have guidance counselors... I doubt litvish girls would feel comfortable connecting to me, I look chassidish

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:14 pm
jd1212 wrote:
Do you have a bachelor’s? An MSW or MHC is only 2 years + 2 years of paid supervision

Nope, I have none Sad

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:15 pm
amother Currant wrote:
You can become a career coach!

Or maybe working for one of the medical referral organizations would work for you?

Is a career coach similar to a recruiter? Because I did try recruiting, it wasn't for me. It wasn't enough

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
This sounds interesting.
How is it different than a therapist? Do I need a degree for this?

You don't need a degree.

You can take a course just as this one:
https://www.coachproacademyus.com

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:39 pm
I'm thinking some sort of nutritionist coach might be really interesting. You would have to take your skills in a bit of a different direction, but it would fit your criteria.

Most people don't need a whole lot of specialized knowledge for nutrition. They need to be able to problem solving and non-judgmental way to figure out how to actually eat healthier.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics