Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Plus Size Fashion- Safe Haven
What's the best way to get fitted for a bra when plus sized?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 8:38 pm
I have been ordering what I think is my size online, but I want the best fit possible. The size that I measure as doesn't remotely work, and according to Google, that's how it is for plus size women with back fat. A store having rave reviews from straight size women doesn't mean anything for plus size. Also, it complicates things that "plus size" is often used to describe bras that are very large cup, even if small to medium band. I'm not a large cup size compared to my body size.

ETA: I'm currently in Boro Park.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 8:57 pm
I think a highly recommended bra store from real life people includes plus size women- where do the plus size women of Boro park and Lakewood for ex get their bras if not the local stores?
Maybe start a thresd with your location asking for recommendations from plus size women for a local stores and fitter.

happy7

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 8:59 pm
Go to a proper lingerie store. Some of the not Jewish one are really good and might even have specialty for plus size women. They won’t be cheaper than a frum store though. Good quality is expensive.
Don’t go to a department store.

amother
Dustypink

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 8:59 pm
happy7 wrote:
Go to a proper lingerie store. Some of the not Jewish one are really good and might even have specialty for plus size women. They won’t be cheaper than a frum store though. Good quality is expensive.
Don’t go to a department store.
Please give us an idea of a store please.

Perrys

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 9:01 pm
Myself!!!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 9:02 pm
I am not plus size but happy With myself lingerie.
I’d think it’s self explanatory that plus size doesn’t mean larger cup so not sure where you’ve been before that didn’t get that.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 9:03 pm
Saposh

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 9:16 pm
amother Floralwhite wrote:
I’d think it’s self explanatory that plus size doesn’t mean larger cup so not sure where you’ve been before that didn’t get that.

It's not that the stores didn't get it, it's that it's much harder to Google search it.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 9:30 pm
I get all my bras from Mary Lerner on Central Ave. in the Five Towns. They are good at fitting me, do not make me feel self conscious about my size, and they do alterations to make the bras fit just right.

msym

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 10:11 pm
I heard that orchard corset is supposed to be great on the lower east side

amother
Daisy

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 10:43 pm
amother Floralwhite wrote:

It's possible that they are a great store if you're not plus sized but I had a different experience. They didn't measure me correctly, they didn't bother to measure underneath for a proper band sizing. They also didn't have anything in stock. They ordered something custom for me but I had to pay in advance and by the time I got it fixed to size, I was unable to return it. It was terribly uncomfortable and I wore it just that one time.
Lingerie shop was a bit more helpful but they also had a limited selection.
Saposh seemed pretty helpful. They're probably the best in fitting and might have a couple of pieces for you but once you're fitted, your best bet is probably still online.

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 11:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have been ordering what I think is my size online, but I want the best fit possible. The size that I measure as doesn't remotely work, and according to Google, that's how it is for plus size women with back fat. A store having rave reviews from straight size women doesn't mean anything for plus size. Also, it complicates things that "plus size" is often used to describe bras that are very large cup, even if small to medium band. I'm not a large cup size compared to my body size.

Where did you get your online information? Did you try "a bra that fits" guide?

I found measuring myself online so much closer than being measured in a store near me. They gave me a 42B. After measuring myself online, I am very comfortable in a 38DD. Online gave me a slightly larger cup, maybe E or F, so it's still not foolproof, but they were still way closer to my actual size than being measured in the store. My advice would be to order similar sizes in different brands and return the ones that don't fit.

ETA: I agree that Saposh is the best. I don't live in Boro Park, but I used to, and they did actually fit me correctly (I wasnt plus size then, though).

chili-n-cholent

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 11:13 pm
I'm very happy with Clara at Myself, I've used others there and was not happy.
It's worth it to wait for her as she's great with fitting and making the correct alterations for a bra to fit properly and be comfortable.
If something doesn't feel right, you need to speak up! When I felt like wires were digging into my underarms lovely pudge she got the seamstress to cut the wires and pad them in soft fabric, she's also gotten one cup taken in to even things out.
Would highly recommend just be ready for a long wait, your best bet is getting there at 10:55 right before the store opens.

amother
Steelblue

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 11:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

I have the same problem. Ppl that need a band my size usually need bigger cups.

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 2:29 am
I think Your Top Priority is also a good choice

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 5:26 am
amother Mimosa wrote:

As a plus size woman (size 2x) I second this. I did not have a good experience by myself as all. I waited for Clara and for me it was a waste of time. I tried on like 15 different ones. I ended up buying one because I felt so bad for the fitter but my next stop was your top priority.

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 7:44 am
What about something in the city like BraTenders? I haven't been there since I became plus size but they did a great job on my tricky size several years ago and I saw many BP-type ladies there including teenagers.

notna

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 8:15 am
amother Mimosa wrote:

Where is this located?

amother
Phlox

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 8:37 am
1338 48th St, Brooklyn, NY 11219
TOP PRIORITY

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 9:00 am
amother Phlox wrote:
1338 48th St, Brooklyn, NY 11219
TOP PRIORITY

They are in a temporary store now on 50th street
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Plus Size Fashion- Safe Haven