Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Taking pictures of frum jews at vacation destinations
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:07 pm
Even if street photography is legal, a person that takes pictures & posts/sends around pictures of frum jews they encounter at vacation destinations, are just horrible people that lack middos and mentchlicnkeit.
Even if said people aren't doing anything wrong, just strolling the street or davening at the beach, it's still horrible of someone take a picture of them & post it for the world to see.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:08 pm
Why?

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:09 pm
You’re in public, anyone can take a picture of you without your permission. If you have a problem with it, stay inside.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:12 pm
amother Grape wrote:
You’re in public, anyone can take a picture of you without your permission. If you have a problem with it, stay inside.

No, I shouldn't have to stay inside because someone wants to post pictures of people on Instagram. Nope.
A frum person going around taking pictures of people & posting pictures, just lacks basic middos and mentchlichkeint imho.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:13 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Why?

Why what? Doesn't a couple taking a walk deserve their personal space & not have their pictures posted on Instagram for thousands to see? Doesn't women that is sitting and saying Tehillim at the beach, deserve her privacy from social media?

allthingsblue

It’s not something I do and I think you can ask them not to take a pic of you but I wouldn’t label someone horrible because of it

amother
Tuberose

I agree with OP. Why the need to send it around? Not nice!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:14 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
It’s not something I do and I think you can ask them not to take a pic of you but I wouldn’t label someone horrible because of it

You don't always realize that they're taking a picture. They don't want you to realize.

amother
Tealblue

allthingsblue wrote:
Why?

Some people take liberties with regard to dress and other things on vacation. Maybe picture some very chashuv guy with a long white beard wearing a polo shirt and holding his wife’s hand. They’ll be embarrassed to have a picture of that snickered at by hundreds of people even if you’ll say awww so cute what’s wrong.

allthingsblue

amother OP wrote:
Why what? Doesn't a couple taking a walk deserve their personal space & not have their pictures posted on Instagram for thousands to see? Doesn't women that is sitting and saying Tehillim at the beach, deserve her privacy from social media?

There’s a lot of things people do that bother me but I don’t call them horrible people…

amother
Tuberose

amother Grape wrote:

Taking pictures is one thing. Sending it around is another.

amother
OP

amother Tealblue wrote:
Some people take liberties with regard to dress and other things on vacation. Maybe picture some very chashuv guy with a long white beard wearing a polo shirt and holding his wife’s hand. They’ll be embarrassed to have a picture of that snickered at by hundreds of people even if you’ll say awww so cute what’s wrong.

I'm not even talking about this.
Just pictures of people minding their own business & doing their own thing.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:15 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:

If the liberties are within Halacha I don’t see the problem

Sure I get the need for privacy and value my privacy (and vacation in private areas) but I wouldn’t get so worked up over a picture

(If they’re not within Halacha they shouldn’t have done that in the first place )

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:17 pm
Btw op I agree that it’s not a nice thing of someone to do! I just don’t get the point of calling someone a horrible person. If anyone here goes around taking pics of people on vacation and posting them, you’re more likely to get them to stop by explaining nicely why it bothers you than by calling them a horrible person

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:17 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

Sure I get the need for privacy and value my privacy (and vacation in private areas) but I wouldn’t get so worked up over a picture

(If they’re not within Halacha they shouldn’t have done that in the first place )

Just like I said, you might say what’s wrong but they’ll be embarrassed. The potential for embarrassing another Jew should stop you from doing something even though it’s something you find harmless.

First Lady

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:18 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:

Wouldn't taking such a picture and forwarding it to others be the epitome of Lashon Horah and Hamalbin Pnei Chaveiro B'Rabim? It's something you can never take back. I cannot fathom anyone thinking that this is OK.

amother
OP

allthingsblue wrote:

Going around snapping pictures of people doing their thing, for the sole purpose of publicizing the pictures, is just a low thing to do. Let people have their personal space & live their lives without it being blasted for the world to see.

amother
Clear

I don’t know that I’d say they’re horrible people but I agree that it’s an obnoxious thing to do.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:19 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
Just like I said, you might say what’s wrong but they’ll be embarrassed. The potential for embarrassing another Jew should stop you from doing something even though it’s something you find harmless.

Good point

I still don’t get the point of labeling someone a horrible person for doing this

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:20 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Btw op I agree that it’s not a nice thing of someone to do! I just don’t get the point of calling someone a horrible person. If anyone here goes around taking pics of people on vacation and posting them, you’re more likely to get them to stop by explaining nicely why it bothers you than by calling them a horrible person

The people that do this, do it in a way that you don't realize that they're taking your picture.
Then you hear from others that it's circling on social media, and when you contact them to remove the picture, they refuse. Because street photography is legal....
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette