Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Taking pictures of frum jews at vacation destinations
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Starflower

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:31 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
A influencer recently posted a video with a baby crying in a doona and you could see a bit of the mother, maybe just her skirt. The baby was crying in a restaurant and the influencer was furious at the mother for bringing her baby to a restaurant.

I was so turned off, I immediately unfollowed her after following her for several years. How disgusting to post a video of someone’s baby to shame them! Such an abuse of her large follower count to use it to shame a mother who went to a restaurant with her baby while on vacation. It’s barely possible to hire a babysitter when you’re on vacation. Are nursing mothers not allowed in restaurants? Besides the mother was rocking the doona and you could tell she was stressed and felt bad.

Honestly she should have picked up the baby and calmed her down outside.

NechaMom

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:38 am
amother OP wrote:
Even if street photography is legal, a person that takes pictures & posts/sends around pictures of frum jews they encounter at vacation destinations, are just horrible people that lack middos and mentchlicnkeit.
Even if said people aren't doing anything wrong, just strolling the street or davening at the beach, it's still horrible of someone take a picture of them & post it for the world to see.

Agree.
I’m surprised anyone would think otherwise.

freilich

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:43 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
A influencer recently posted a video with a baby crying in a doona and you could see a bit of the mother, maybe just her skirt. The baby was crying in a restaurant and the influencer was furious at the mother for bringing her baby to a restaurant.

I was so turned off, I immediately unfollowed her after following her for several years. How disgusting to post a video of someone’s baby to shame them! Such an abuse of her large follower count to use it to shame a mother who went to a restaurant with her baby while on vacation. It’s barely possible to hire a babysitter when you’re on vacation. Are nursing mothers not allowed in restaurants? Besides the mother was rocking the doona and you could tell she was stressed and felt bad.
what an obnoxious entitled woman. Uch

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:47 am
The fact that this is a topic that is even being debated shows how far we have fallen.
Anyone with a solid moral compass knows that this is wrong, period.

amother
Latte

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 10:07 am
freilich wrote:
what an obnoxious entitled woman. Uch

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. She suffers from infertility and was probably very pained and triggered. Still not ok though to post the video of the baby.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 10:10 am
amother Latte wrote:
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. She suffers from infertility and was probably very pained and triggered. Still not ok though to post the video of the baby.
This post triggered me. The world doesn't owe her because she doesn't have children yet. Perhaps if she would go out of her way to be extra kind and considerate to people she would probably have a yeshua just for going against her grain. (middah knegged middah)

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 10:31 am
I was recently at a nice dairy restaurant midday with my husband, thought my baby would nap through it, but she woke up and I was uncomfortable. As soon as she started making some noise I had the easier pack up the food and we finished eating in the car. Was disappointing but I wasn't going to take away from the other couples who were out to enjoy the legal holiday vacation day with their spouses.
I know in a restaurant midday it would be more accepted to have a baby there. But it was my choice not to bother others that way.

I saw that post by the influencer. The infant was screaming and the mother seemed to be pushing the doona back and forth in the way of a mom that's used to hearing this as background noise (my assumption 😉) If she would've been complaining simply about it being inappropriate to bring a baby at all, that would be her triggered. But to try to enjoy a nice dinner with a baby screaming... That's not mentchlich. Again, just my opinion. And we don't know anyone's whole story. So it's my THEORETICAL opinion.

(And I'm not anti babies, I bring my little nursing babies wherever I go. But not on others cheshbon).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 10:35 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
I was recently at a nice dairy restaurant midday with my husband, thought my baby would nap through it, but she woke up and I was uncomfortable. As soon as she started making some noise I had the easier pack up the food and we finished eating in the car. Was disappointing but I wasn't going to take away from the other couples who were out to enjoy the legal holiday vacation day with their spouses.
I know in a restaurant midday it would be more accepted to have a baby there. But it was my choice not to bother others that way.

I saw that post by the influencer. The infant was screaming and the mother seemed to be pushing the doona back and forth in the way of a mom that's used to hearing this as background noise (my assumption 😉) If she would've been complaining simply about it being inappropriate to bring a baby at all, that would be her triggered. But to try to enjoy a nice dinner with a baby screaming... That's not mentchlich. Again, just my opinion. And we don't know anyone's whole story. So it's my THEORETICAL opinion.

(And I'm not anti babies, I bring my little nursing babies wherever I go. But not on others cheshbon).

All this is irrelevant to the fact that someone took a video of someone else's crying baby, and posted it for the world to see. This isn't the way to handle issues.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 10:45 am
amother OP wrote:
All this is irrelevant to the fact that someone took a video of someone else's crying baby, and posted it for the world to see. This isn't the way to handle issues.

True. I got off topic, sorry. I agree fully about the picture taking part not being mentchlich.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 10:47 am
There are 2 ppl I know of that take street photography and post on insta. One posted that no matter what, he doesn't remove a photo when asked because why should he? The other one at least removes it when asked. Doesn't mean it's right in the first place, but at least he does that.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 10:51 am
There are 2 ppl I know of that take street photography and post on insta. One posted that no matter what, he doesn't remove a photo when asked because why should he? The other one at least removes it when asked. Doesn't mean it's right in the first place, but at least he does that.

Now I want to know who these people are so I can go thru their pages and see if I'm on them 🙈

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 10:55 am
I agee that she shouldn’t have taken a video of the baby. She could have cropped the baby out. But that being said, in my family, as basic mentschlichkeit, we were taught that you don’t bring your baby or even kids who aren’t old enough to handle it to a restaurant. You hire a sitter. Other people are paying a lot of money for a nice restaurant experience and they don’t have your shrieking baby in mind in that experience.
Personally, I’d just feel bad for a mother in such a situation and be her DLKZ that the sitter canceled and she couldn’t get a replacement and that it was an important dinner that couldn’t be rescheduled. BUT I fully understand someone for getting highly irritated in such a situation

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:13 am
amother Lightgray wrote:
I agee that she shouldn’t have taken a video of the baby. She could have cropped the baby out. But that being said, in my family, as basic mentschlichkeit, we were taught that you don’t bring your baby or even kids who aren’t old enough to handle it to a restaurant. You hire a sitter. Other people are paying a lot of money for a nice restaurant experience and they don’t have your shrieking baby in mind in that experience.
Personally, I’d just feel bad for a mother in such a situation and be her DLKZ that the sitter canceled and she couldn’t get a replacement and that it was an important dinner that couldn’t be rescheduled. BUT I fully understand someone for getting highly irritated in such a situation

This is irrelevant to the thread & topic at hand.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:25 am
I’m still from the generation where I feel like you don’t take pictures of other people without their consent. (Unless they are a performer in a Disney parade.)

I really think it is wrong to take pictures of other people. Posted or otherwise.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:28 am
amother OP wrote:
This is irrelevant to the thread & topic at hand.

Sorry, I lost reception when I was trying to send it earlier and it only went through after you had said that to the other poster

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:29 am
amother Jade wrote:
This post triggered me. The world doesn't owe her because she doesn't have children yet. Perhaps if she would go out of her way to be extra kind and considerate to people she would probably have a yeshua just for going against her grain. (middah knegged middah)

The world does not owe her but how dare you think you understand or know Hashem’s plans. I’m guessing you are young and have skated through life. You have no right to say such a statement. It is incredibly hurtful to any one with challenges.

amother
Starflower

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:58 am

Are they frum people doing Humans of Judaism type pages of non Jews making fun of us?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 12:02 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:

While that all may be true,

Who hasn't had a situation where their baby or child wouldn't quiet down in public? A little understanding, please.

We don't know why this mother had to be there. I can't believe someone would video this and send it around.

Goldengoose

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 12:16 pm
taking someone's picture intentionally is rude, posting it on SM is horrible. I would say 99% of the time there's an element of mockery, hence the picture taking in the first place.
shouldn't be okay for anyone but as jews we should all know better.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 12:22 pm

Disgusting!
He should just because if I don't want a (possibly unflattering) picture of myself to go viral I am entitled to some privacy.

I know someone who had her married children posted on one of these Instagram pages. He refused to remove it even after being asked to do so.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette