Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Feeling guilty

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 11:48 pm
I don’t know if this is normal but I feel so so guilty when I take my baby out of the house a lot.

Our regular schedule is as follows, wake up at around 8, drop off baby at daycare around 8:45 I head to work by 9 and then pick him up at 1. Once we get home I try to be really intentional about playing with him for a good solid half hour before starting in the laundry/cleaning (I’m still interacting with him at this point obviously but just also focused on other things).

But then I feel like the rest of the afternoon is just always filled with other things whether doctor’s appointments, grocery shopping, getting together with friends (only happens like twice a month but I need it to stay sane), etc.

I usually try to make sure we have a chill afternoon at home every other day so he’s not being dragged around all the time but it doesn’t always work out like that and then I feel so terrible that I’m not doing what’s best for him.

Is this normal to do with babies or should I really try to stay in during the afternoon more often?

smss

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 11:50 pm
Why do you think it's bad? Is he unhappy when you take him out?

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 11:52 pm
It's great for babies to get out into the world, why do you think you should be home all day?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 11:53 pm
smss wrote:
Why do you think it's bad? Is he unhappy when you take him out?

Maybe it’s just because I’m such an introvert that I don’t love when I have to go out all the time…

He’s usually okay, he doesn’t love the car and is much happier at home when he gets my full attention but it’s not like he’s screaming the whole time we’re out

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 11:54 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
It's great for babies to get out into the world, why do you think you should be home all day?

I guess because I feel like he should be getting my undivided attention? Maybe it’s a bit of an unrealistic expectation for myself…

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 12:20 am
amother OP wrote:
I guess because I feel like he should be getting my undivided attention? Maybe it’s a bit of an unrealistic expectation for myself…

You think good parents give their kids undivided attention whenever they’re with them?!!
You’re going to burn out so fast!!!!!!

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 4:43 am
amother OP wrote:
I don’t know if this is normal but I feel so so guilty when I take my baby out of the house a lot.

Our regular schedule is as follows, wake up at around 8, drop off baby at daycare around 8:45 I head to work by 9 and then pick him up at 1. Once we get home I try to be really intentional about playing with him for a good solid half hour before starting in the laundry/cleaning (I’m still interacting with him at this point obviously but just also focused on other things).

But then I feel like the rest of the afternoon is just always filled with other things whether doctor’s appointments, grocery shopping, getting together with friends (only happens like twice a month but I need it to stay sane), etc.

I usually try to make sure we have a chill afternoon at home every other day so he’s not being dragged around all the time but it doesn’t always work out like that and then I feel so terrible that I’m not doing what’s best for him.

Is this normal to do with babies or should I really try to stay in during the afternoon more often?

Youre ana amzing mother!! You can make the little errands into activities with him and talk to him while your shopping etc,

salt

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 4:49 am
He probably loves going different places with you.
I'm sure you're talking to him along the way, smiling at him when you take him out the car, etc.

If you are whisking him out of his crib every afternoon while he's sleeping, or allowing him to get hungry or cold while you're out, it's not so nice, but otherwise it's absolutely fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics