Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Why won't my baby nap???

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 12:27 pm
I'm at the end of my rope here. Bh my baby is 9 months old and a terrible napper. Here's an example of her schedule. Yesterday she woke up at around 6. I put her in at 10am and she fell asleep at 10:15. By 11:30 she was up and that was it for the rest of the day. Bh she does sleep at night a full 12 hours but I can't understand why she won't take that 2nd nap if she only slept an hour or so. Today she slept from 1045 till around 1130 and is showing no intention of taking another. She's happy, not crying but I really need her to take that 2nd nap. Once my kids get home at 330 it's basically done since I get busy with them and then by 500 she's exhausted but by that time id rather push her till 630 instead of her napping then. Any advice of what I can do to help her???

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:07 pm
what do you mean showing no intention? what happens when you put her in her crib with the lights off ?

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:28 pm
Did you put her in at 230? What happened?

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:28 pm
If she woke at 6am then first nap can't be 10 that's way too late. She's overtired and stays up as a result.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:35 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
If she woke at 6am then first nap can't be 10 that's way too late. She's overtired and stays up as a result.

This. If she wakes at 6:00, her first nap should be at 8:00-8:30.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:41 pm
lamother Winterberry wrote:
what do you mean showing no intention? what happens when you put her in her crib with the lights off ?

She talks and is moving all over the place. Eventually she starts kvetching so I go in multiple times to soothe/ give her a paci but she still doesn't fall asleep. Eventually when my kids start coming home I give up.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:41 pm
amother Blue wrote:
Did you put her in at 230? What happened?

Yes I tried starting from 230 pretty much for an hour

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:42 pm
Try to make the house less stimulating by putting runner rugs in the hallways to muffle footsteps.

Air the place well so she has good air. If you need room-darkening curtains or shades in the room she sleeps in, get them, or just hang up pillow shams on the windows.

She should not be too warm, or too warmly dressed. Cool is good for sleeping.

Many use a pacifyer. That helps the baby self-soothe. The NUK kind is best just in my opinion.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:42 pm
mushkamothers wrote:

She's nowhere near ready for a nap at 830. She literally won't start getting tired b4 930ish

tichellady

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 2:06 pm
She might not need that much sleep if she’s getting 12 hours of sleep at night

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 2:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm at the end of my rope here. Bh my baby is 9 months old and a terrible napper. Here's an example of her schedule. Yesterday she woke up at around 6. I put her in at 10am and she fell asleep at 10:15. By 11:30 she was up and that was it for the rest of the day. Bh she does sleep at night a full 12 hours but I can't understand why she won't take that 2nd nap if she only slept an hour or so. Today she slept from 1045 till around 1130 and is showing no intention of taking another. She's happy, not crying but I really need her to take that 2nd nap. Once my kids get home at 330 it's basically done since I get busy with them and then by 500 she's exhausted but by that time id rather push her till 630 instead of her napping then. Any advice of what I can do to help her???

I wouldn’t do anything differently if she’s sleeping well at night…. Or maybe just have her bedtime at 6 pm?

imaima

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 2:15 pm
amother OP wrote:

Put her to sleep earlier for the morning nap. She could be sleeping by 9 am.

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 2:26 pm
It sounds like she’s way too overtired for naps then.

My baby is 8 months and she takes a nap every hour and a half to two hours besides for before bed when she’s up for three hours straight. She should go in for her first nap much earlier.
Since she sleeps so much at night I would recommend following her sleep cycles and try putting her for a nap every three hours or four and a half hours. Should help if you stay consistent to that

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 2:50 pm
Not every baby needs the textbook amount of sleep. Some literally just need less sleep

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 3:01 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
Not every baby needs the textbook amount of sleep. Some literally just need less sleep

Yes. She sounds low sleep needs. And that’s fine. If she’s getting enough sleep in 24 hours. But the only thing is she’s cranky at night. So I would try a bridge nap before bed if you can.

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 5:17 pm
My baby was low sleep needs and once I just came to terms with that everything felt much easier. I stopped trying to force her to nap when she didn’t need it etc.
first step here tho would be to try and get that first nap earlier so that maybe she’ll be tired for the second nap.
Otherwise, don’t force it if everything else is working
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics