Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
ISO 'Kashered' Harry Potter books

Mommy1!

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 12:56 am
Based on Kosherbooks.org it seems like books 4+ need some kashering before I can let my kids read them. Kosherbooks lists a bunch of pages that need to be blacked out. Does anyone have copies of 4-7 that I can borrow or buy off them (Lakewood area). Thanks!

amother
Lily

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 11:27 am
Seems to me that if you feel portions of the books need to be censored, you shouldn't be bringing those books into your home at all. Speaking as someone whose kids practically memorized the series, uncensored.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 11:43 am
OP its not so simple.
Im not certain what parts youre referring to, but being that harry potter doesnt have real profanity, im assuming it might be referring to some romance elements...but they play a real part in the series. The romance is quite light and doesnt get explicit, but if you arent ok with the idea (and I hear that) then im not sure if it even makes sense to read the series...from book 4 onwards im not sure you can erase it all without leaving major gaps and leaving the reader confused

(Unless its not about the romance? Can you share examples of what needs to be removed?)

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 11:56 am
If you need to kasher, don't let your kids read them.
It ruins the story and parts don't make sense. It also just encourages your kids to find the blacked out sections from someone else's copy. Speaking as someone who's BY high school had blacked out lines/pages from Shakespeare and other books. Practically everyone went home to find what was blacked out.

Some of the blacked out sections are probably the Yule ball where it mentions an Xmas tree, a boys and girls dance, and there is some not very graphic kissing. Plus violence. You should read to see if you are OK.

amother
Navyblue

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 12:07 pm
I crossed out the kissing scenes.

amother
Daphne

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 12:56 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
I crossed out the kissing scenes.

Could you or any other poster let us know which volumes and pages they're on?

watergirl

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 1:03 pm
I read the entire series to my kids out loud and edited as I went. When they took the books to read, I crossed out one word (hint - Mrs. Weasley's epic threat to Bellatrix). They got the books from their friends and looked up what word I crossed out. Meh, not a big deal to me at all honestly. Crossing out the word made them want to look it up.

watergirl

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 1:04 pm
amother Daphne wrote:
Could you or any other poster let us know which volumes and pages they're on?

This is a very easy google, I just did it. Google "what harry potter books have kissing scenes". You'll get a list.

mitzvahgirl1988

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 1:12 pm
I agree with what everyone says, if you cross out certain scenes, the kids will find a way to read what was crossed out, one way or another.
Either don’t let them read it or don’t cover the words.
Crossing out the words only makes problems.

amother
Hunter

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 1:14 pm
mitzvahgirl1988 wrote:
I agree with what everyone says, if you cross out certain scenes, the kids will find a way to read what was crossed out, one way or another.
Either don’t let them read it or don’t cover the words.
Crossing out the words only makes problems.

Agree. Also, hp books are super tame

mitzvahgirl1988

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 1:17 pm
Yes. It simply talks about human emotions and basic attraction. If you cross that out then the characters become robots.
There is literally maybe a few hugs I don’t think much else.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 2:32 pm
At what age would you let your kids read books 4 and on?

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 2:43 pm
watergirl wrote:
I read the entire series to my kids out loud and edited as I went. When they took the books to read, I crossed out one word (hint - Mrs. Weasley's epic threat to Bellatrix). They got the books from their friends and looked up what word I crossed out. Meh, not a big deal to me at all honestly. Crossing out the word made them want to look it up.

So then would you say its not worth crossing out?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 2:50 pm
Mommy1! wrote:
Based on Kosherbooks.org it seems like books 4+ need some kashering before I can let my kids read them. Kosherbooks lists a bunch of pages that need to be blacked out. Does anyone have copies of 4-7 that I can borrow or buy off them (Lakewood area). Thanks!

The HP books are probably the easiest to find almost anywhere. You can order online from literally dozens of places or buy in person at any bookstore, or places such as Target, Walmart etc. I've seen it for sale in grocery stores and thrift shops. You can definitely easily find used copies to buy online, hardcover or paperback. It's probably the most ubiquitous series that anyplace that carries books will be selling.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 3:50 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
At what age would you let your kids read books 4 and on?

Nothing at all to do with the romance, kissing scenes etc, I made my daughter wait til 6th grade only because I felt the complexity and INTENSITY of the plot would be wasted on a younger kid. Not to mention the trauma of so many deaths, and scary scenes.
The complexity of the plot by books 6 and 7, and the complex themes and elements (Harry only saved everyone by being ready to die for them...etc) really is not meant for younger kids.

amother
Hunter

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 3:57 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Nothing at all to do with the romance, kissing scenes etc, I made my daughter wait til 6th grade only because I felt the complexity and INTENSITY of the plot would be wasted on a younger kid. Not to mention the trauma of so many deaths, and scary scenes.
The complexity of the plot by books 6 and 7, and the complex themes and elements (Harry only saved everyone by being ready to die for them...etc) really is not meant for younger kids.

I’m not so sure about that. I read them as they came out. I read the 4th book in 3rd grade and completely understood it
The seventh book came out the summer I was going into 10th grade I believe, so I can’t comment on that, but I believe I would have completely understood it at a younger age
I wouldn’t underestimate younger kids

peace2

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 4:27 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
I’m not so sure about that. I read them as they came out. I read the 4th book in 3rd grade and completely understood it
The seventh book came out the summer I was going into 10th grade I believe, so I can’t comment on that, but I believe I would have completely understood it at a younger age

I read it in elementary school and then many many times after (I can open a random book to a random page and know what's happening, anyone else?) The first time I read it I got the plot and the story but I definitely appreciated the writing and depth more as I got older.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 5:01 pm
amother Hunter wrote:

Im really referring to books 6 and 7. Especially 7.
I think a 9 year old would read it at a very surface level. Its also quite dark for that age.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 6:22 pm
I've been a fan myself, but I don't let my kids read the series. I'm not comfortable with them reading the problematic parts. And so, they happily and proudly have one less obsession cluttering up their minds. I am frankly jealous.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room