Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Do you give vaccines if your child has a cold?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 3:35 pm
My Daughter is 16 month has a low immune system but is so behind on her vaccines cos she has a cold all winter so far. I really dont want to give if she has a cols.
What can I do?
Have you given vaccines with a cold?
If your are anti vaccine please do not respond.
Thanks

amother
Dandelion

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 4:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
My Daughter is 16 month has a low immune system but is so behind on her vaccines cos she has a cold all winter so far. I really dont want to give if she has a cols.
What can I do?
Have you given vaccines with a cold?
If your are anti vaccine please do not respond.
Thanks

I do. My doctor says a cold is fine as long as no fever.

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 5:15 pm
Yes, otherwise we'd probably never get them Very Happy

But seriously, as long as there is no fever, diarrhea, or serious rash, not a problem.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 6:10 pm
If they already had the cold for almost a week then for sure. By then the cold is mainly only congestion and I wouldn't worry too much. Think about how you feel after having a cold for a week. Usually just about better, even if the congestion is still there.

amother
Camellia

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 6:58 pm
Absolutely not
You don’t give a baby who’s immune system is overloaded vaccines

happy chick

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 7:02 pm
Depends what kind of cold and which vaccine. If it's a cold where she's really under the weather, no. But if it's mostly just a runny nose, yes. Also, I would try to give a more mild vaccine that has less potential for reaction.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 7:04 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
Absolutely not
You don’t give a baby who’s immune system is overloaded vaccines

I wouldn't say 'absolutely not' in all circumstances. My child had low immunity and Dr said better he should have it with a cold then not at all. He had colds so often he would never have had it had we waited.

He had no bad side effects from it.

amother
Camellia

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 7:07 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
I wouldn't say 'absolutely not' in all circumstances. My child had low immunity and Dr said better he should have it with a cold then not at all. He had colds so often he would never have had it had we waited.

He had no bad side effects from it.

Doctors are not the end all. Sometimes they don’t know. The truth is vaccines overload the immune system and you should never give them while a child is on antibiotics or fighting something

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 7:08 pm
Not ideally, but I would if they were delayed in important vaccines. I’d only give one at a time though, not a few to catch them up.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 7:16 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
Doctors are not the end all. Sometimes they don’t know. The truth is vaccines overload the immune system and you should never give them while a child is on antibiotics or fighting something

My child had low immunity and Dr felt he should have the vaccine even with a cold rather the catch something worse. He'd already had chickenpox twice that winter, pneumonia, RSV and c-diff.....

Guess there are no blanket rules either way, ask a Dr who knows your child.

amother
Clematis

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 7:27 pm
Not every vaccine is equally important. You need to discuss with your dr. The specific vaccine and if there is a real risk your child might actually contract the disease. And then make your decision accordingly to wait or to go ahead now.
Some of them can really wait a year with zero issue - even if it means they’ll be “off schedule”. For example, Hep B can wait. Polio, unless it’s currently in the US. Chicken pox, unless it’s currently in your city. Rotavirus- don’t bother if you already messed up the schedule, you need all 3 in a very specific time frame.
Also, your dr. Should explain the risks or what to look out for in case ch”v something is wrong. Like Rotavirus is dangerous bec of dehydration, he should review under what criteria to call him or go to the ER.
To conclude, educate yourself or at least find a pediatrician who will educate you.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 7:45 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
My child had low immunity and Dr felt he should have the vaccine even with a cold rather the catch something worse. He'd already had chickenpox twice that winter, pneumonia, RSV and c-diff.....

Guess there are no blanket rules either way, ask a Dr who knows your child.

Chicken pox twice? In the winter? Uumm you sure?

amother
Aster

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 8:07 pm
My eleven-year-old child had low immunity as a baby. I used an old-fashioned super-experienced pediatrician (no longer alive). He advised me to give vaccines in the summertime. This baby was a bit off schedule but slowly caught up. When I was growing up most Drs tried avoiding vaccines when a child wasn't feeling well. Why overwhelm their system?
good luck with your decision.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 8:12 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
Chicken pox twice? In the winter? Uumm you sure?

Yes I'm sure. I'm talking about my child why do you doubt it? I'm answering op as to why I vaxxed when dc had a cold. You don't like my advice, fine, but don't ask me 'if I'm sure' just because it doesn't sit well with you.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 8:49 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
Yes I'm sure. I'm talking about my child why do you doubt it? I'm answering op as to why I vaxxed when dc had a cold. You don't like my advice, fine, but don't ask me 'if I'm sure' just because it doesn't sit well with you.

I’m wondering how the first bout didn’t provide immunity

tweety1

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 9:16 pm
No way! I have a close friend who recently did that. The kid ended up being home close to 5 weeks! The kid was nearly hospitalized. Dr had no idea what is even wrong with kid. Kept on going for testing. Everything came back fine. They eventually concluded that the kids reacted to the vaccines from already having a low immune system.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 10:05 pm
I’m an NP and I try not too.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 10:09 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:

Doubting because medically chicken pox you gain immunity for life. Twice in one winter seems like it may have been misdiagnosed

amother
Ballota

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 10:52 pm
Nope. I’d push off even for a cold

effess

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 11:14 pm
I push off when my kid is not feeling right.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics