Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Which material kitchen counters are the most practical?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 7:57 pm
After living in your kitchen for a few years, and comparing with others abour stains, chips, cracks, damages and other issues, what counter material would you choose because its the strongest and looks good the longest?

amother
Trillium

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 9:28 pm
Granite

amother
Wandflower

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 9:40 pm
Quartz (the type that’s made of ground quartz and resin) very popular it’s cheap and durable.

amother
Quince

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 9:42 pm
For me #1 is that it can be Kashered.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 10:11 pm
amother Wandflower wrote:
Quartz (the type that’s made of ground quartz and resin) very popular it’s cheap and durable.

This material doesnt chip and doesnt absorb colors from foods and stain?

amother
Bergamot

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 10:16 pm
amother OP wrote:

My white marbelized quartz absolutely stains. I've been told I must have gotten a bad piece, but $5K later there's no one to talk to and nothing to do about it.

Eta I've had it 2.5 years. No chips. Lots of stains.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 10:17 pm
amother OP wrote:

I have quartz, it was installed 6 years ago by previous owners and still looks basically brand new. I find stains come off very easily (though I dont know about if you leave them sitting for a long time, like overnight/days)

Also easily kasherable

SingALong

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 10:46 pm
I have quarts. After 3 years I have Many chips, no stains. It looks beautiful but had I known when I picked it out how much stringer and durable marble and granite is, I would have gone with that and made peace with whatever pattern it came in

amother
Winterberry

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 10:56 pm
I have granite. Not the most fashionable option these days but wins hands down for convenience. 4 years in, looks great.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 11:36 pm
I have quartz, and wish I had gone with granite. I have terrible stains and several chips. Would not recommend at all. My kitchen is 4.5 years old, and my countertops are just not holding up.

Rappel

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 11:41 pm
Stainless steel. Like the industrial kitchens.

I don't have it, but I wish I did!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 11:47 pm
Granite. Extremely practical and durable.

(Stainless steel is great, but it can scratch and dent, so if appearance matters it's not the easiest.)

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:01 am
I probably should have chosen my kitchen about 5 years ago but I'm paralyzed about what counter to get. And I've heard there are different opinions about kashering quartz and granite. I should just ask my Rav but he is hard to reach...

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:25 am
amother Mintgreen wrote:
I probably should have chosen my kitchen about 5 years ago but I'm paralyzed about what counter to get. And I've heard there are different opinions about kashering quartz and granite. I should just ask my Rav but he is hard to reach...

You’re saying you had the means and wanted to redo your kitchen 5 years ago, but didn’t because you can’t settle on a countertop?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:27 am
amother Mintgreen wrote:

Granite is solid stone. Shouldn't be a question about kashering.

Quartz, however, is a manmade material using crushed stone chips in resin, which CAN be a problem of kashering according to some opinions. (Quartzite is also natural stone and not an issue.)

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:27 am
Forgot to mention- I have granite. It came with our house. I actually hate the pattern (it’s very busy) but it doesn’t have a single crack or stain, and I’m not super on top of wiping the counters down the second something spills on it (I won’t leave it for hours either, though).
I hope to replace my counters one day, but will definitely stick with granite since the experience and quality has been great.
I’ve had granite in all my prior homes/rentals and it’s always been extremely durable.

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:11 am
I have granite in the house I rent now. It’s bathroom grade (much thinner than normal kitchen counters) but holding up really well. Moved in more than 4 years ago and it was put in right before we moved in. I think there’s 1 chip, but not noticeable. Won’t stain cuz it’s dark. A pleasure to Clean. I can cut on it without making knife marks. Overall I’m happy with it, but I’d choose a different pattern Wink

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 11:20 am
Seems like Granite is the winner, which I expected to hear.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 11:32 am
amother Aubergine wrote:
You’re saying you had the means and wanted to redo your kitchen 5 years ago, but didn’t because you can’t settle on a countertop?
I'm also organizationally challenged so there are a lit if things I just don't get around to doing.

Also I did call one kitchen place & they came down to measure. But the ladies leave at 2 or 3 & I din't get around to calling back.

Guess I need a place w full time staff...

Obviously it's not the highest priority on my list...

Amarante

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:18 pm
I have granite and it is what is called "bullet proof" as it doesn't need to be sealed and I don't worry about staining.

I think people would be surprised at all of the gorgeous patterns that granite comes in. Some even resemble "marble" or are not "busy" if that is your thing. If you go to a good stoneyard, the variety of slabs is amazing - or just google granite "images"

My granite is Black Galaxy which is black obviously but has flecks of iridescent copper. Last night I was working in the kitchen with the lights on and I was just enjoying how the copper element had such a nice subtle bling. FWIW I have copper accents in my kitchen like copper farmhouse sink; copper hood over range and copper ceiling tiles.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen