Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
10 Week Old Sleep Patterns

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 6:47 am
My 10 week old has been giving us a run for our money since day one. We swaddle him in a happiest baby swaddle (snoo swaddle) and put him in a bassinet (not a snoo) and he doesn’t sleep long stretches. He’s a very big baby (over 16 lbs) and he’s been congested since he’s been born (doctor doesn’t think it’s anything). He loves sleeping in the bouncer when we bounce it but it’s not a real option.

I ordered a larger size swaddle. He’s too young to go without being swaddled or he will wake himself up with the Moro reflex.

Any suggestions?

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:15 am
amother OP wrote:
My 10 week old has been giving us a run for our money since day one. We swaddle him in a happiest baby swaddle (snoo swaddle) and put him in a bassinet (not a snoo) and he doesn’t sleep long stretches. He’s a very big baby (over 16 lbs) and he’s been congested since he’s been born (doctor doesn’t think it’s anything). He loves sleeping in the bouncer when we bounce it but it’s not a real option.

I ordered a larger size swaddle. He’s too young to go without being swaddled or he will wake himself up with the Moro reflex.

Any suggestions?

Not all babies like swaddles. Also the Moro reflex doesn’t integrate until 3-4 months and at that age he may be rolling which is too old to be swaddled. So may as well slowly get rid of the swaddle. Keep arms out etc. it doesn’t sound like the swaddle is working anyways really.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:33 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
Not all babies like swaddles. Also the Moro reflex doesn’t integrate until 3-4 months and at that age he may be rolling which is too old to be swaddled. So may as well slowly get rid of the swaddle. Keep arms out etc. it doesn’t sound like the swaddle is working anyways really.

I’ve let him try without it but he wakes himself up.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:38 am
amother OP wrote:

Any suggestions?

How long of a stretch is he doing? They don’t need long stretches at 10 weeks they still wake up a lot at that age to eat.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:41 am
Saline and nose Frida for the congestion, and check for tongue ties -- congestion is a sign? Does he sleep with an open mouth?

Also, put him on his stomach.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:53 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
How long of a stretch is he doing? They don’t need long stretches at 10 weeks they still wake up a lot at that age to eat.

He does 3-3.5 hours between feeds.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:54 am
Babies don't sleep long stretches at 10 weeks. I would not ignore the congestion though, he must be so uncomfortable. And there has to be a reason.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:01 am
amother OP wrote:
He does 3-3.5 hours between feeds.

He sleeps 3 hour stretches now at night? Sounds rly good for that age. But yes look into the congestion. Maybe he has a dairy allergy?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:06 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
He sleeps 3 hour stretches now at night? Sounds rly good for that age. But yes look into the congestion. Maybe he has a dairy allergy?

No he doesn’t. He goes 3-3.5 hours between feeds. He will sleep maybe 2 hours but usually he wakes every 40 minutes or so and needs assistance. I want to sleep train him and start pushing him to eat every 4 hours. He’s a really big guy and has plenty of weight on him

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:09 am
amother OP wrote:
No he doesn’t. He goes 3-3.5 hours between feeds. He will sleep maybe 2 hours but usually he wakes every 40 minutes or so and needs assistance. I want to sleep train him and start pushing him to eat every 4 hours. He’s a really big guy and has plenty of weight on him

His weight has nothing to do with his body's need for feeding every 3-3.5 hours. He needs hydration, blood sugar stabilization, and his stomach just doesn't have a huge capacity even if he's a big baby. Please don't do this, it's not ok. And I don't know any doctor who thinks it's ok to sleep train at 10 weeks, most likely because babies that age are not capable. Their brains are different, he is doing exactly what he should be doing at this age. It's like if you complained that he cries instead of saying mama. This is what ten weeks looks like. Your baby is normal and healthy. He will change as he gets older.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:14 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
His weight has nothing to do with his body's need for feeding every 3-3.5 hours. He needs hydration, blood sugar stabilization, and his stomach just doesn't have a huge capacity even if he's a big baby. Please don't do this, it's not ok. And I don't know any doctor who thinks it's ok to sleep train at 10 weeks, most likely because babies that age are not capable. Their brains are different, he is doing exactly what he should be doing at this age. It's like if you complained that he cries instead of saying mama. This is what ten weeks looks like. Your baby is normal and healthy. He will change as he gets older.

Can’t like this enough. 10 weeks is too early to sleep train. He may be waking up for other reasons besides for eating (comfort etc)

lilytee

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:15 am
Babies are not a one size fits all and for that reason they need to be fed on demand.

Is this your first?

Not all babies like to be swaddled but most do. After a feeding they should generally fall asleep. If your baby is more comfortable in a sitting position like a bouncer than something might be bothering them.

This combined with the congested part points to a possible intolerable. The most common ones are dairy and wheat.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:17 am
I would sleep train at 12 weeks. I’d try to get him to eat every 4 hours. I think he could do it. My doctor did said if he was formula fed then she would recommend cutting a feed/some ounces because he’s so big. She told me to not wake him for feeds. I think he would go 4 hours and generally be happier if he slept better. That’s where my question started

amother
Yarrow

Before jumping to sleep training you need to look into the congestion more. It could really really be bothering him and causing the wake ups. You can’t sleep train a baby that is in discomfort or in pain. They need the comfort and being responded to. When a baby has a medical red flag they can’t be sleep trained. Need to look into the issue first more. Maybe his adenoids, tonsils etc I’m not sure but something is bothering him. Check for any oral restrictions again even if he was checked already it can be missed by some pediatricians.

amother
Snow

amother OP wrote:

Absolutely no! You can’t force a ten week old to go a specific amount between feeds! That’s borderline abuse. You are withholding food for no reason. A baby should be fed on demand no matter the weight.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:38 am
amother OP wrote:

Any suggestions?

He is newborn. Dont worry about sleep stretches. Feed him in middle of the night.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:39 am
amother OP wrote:
I would sleep train at 12 weeks. I’d try to get him to eat every 4 hours. I think he could do it. My doctor did said if he was formula fed then she would recommend cutting a feed/some ounces because he’s so big. She told me to not wake him for feeds. I think he would go 4 hours and generally be happier if he slept better. That’s where my question started

No way. This is abusive. Where are you getting these ideas from. Please dont do this.

Babies should be fed on demand, when they want to eat. Feeding rigidly at four hour intervals is outdated and neglectful.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:43 am
Op, is this your first baby? Research demand feeding before you do this to your baby. Its harmful and abusive in the short term to limit feedings and schedule them like this and its shortsighted for the future emotional health of your infant.
It's unanimous in the medical world today that demand feeding is the correct way to feed tour baby.
So before you take outdated advice from your pushy outdated neighbor/aunt/cousin, do your own research.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:28 am
My baby also had congestion very young. We used saline drops all the time, it helps (though they scream when you do it, but then it helps).

Don't put him on his stomach, it is a SIDS risk. You can also get swaddle that is a sleep sack with velcro to swaddle the arms.

I would try white noise and black out shades, that will hopefully help him settle for longer.

I would also try a pacifier if he seems interested.

At this age, they need to eat every 3 hours, but hopefully you can stretch his sleep a bit in those 3 hour intervals.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 11:08 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:

This.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics