Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Do u have a dumping room or closet
1  2  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:45 pm
I have this one room particularly that attracts all the wandering items and toys from the house...I struggle with overcoming clutter and hoarding habits

I feel like such a failure because it's a tiring cycle

not even sure what I want to hear

Maybe that its norm even in perfect ppls houses

I have this taunting voice in my head that I will never be organized and chaos is my core

Sad
Back to top

amother
Impatiens


 

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:46 pm
I wish I had only 1 room
Back to top

amother
Wine


 

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:00 pm
I have loads of such places.
I'm doing yael wiesners declutter challenge and am up to day 16
So I've gotten rid of or out of my house
One plus two plus three plus four... Through sixteen... Items.
So I think ice done around 100 items so far.
It feels so good!!!!

And I'm inspired to listen to declutter podcasts.
So tonight I got my living room floor cleared, my laundry transferred, and cleared some extra supplies by putting them in a high deep cabinet (podcast suggestion.) I can see my bedroom floor!!! Woohooo!!!!!

It is such a mechayeh.

I hope I make it strong to day30.
I can see why pesach cleaning will be easier with less STUFF.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box.
Hatzlacha!!
Back to top

amother
Apple


 

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:18 pm
amother Wine wrote:
I have loads of such places.
I'm doing yael wiesners declutter challenge and am up to day 16
So I've gotten rid of or out of my house
One plus two plus three plus four... Through sixteen... Items.
So I think ice done around 100 items so far.
It feels so good!!!!

And I'm inspired to listen to declutter podcasts.
So tonight I got my living room floor cleared, my laundry transferred, and cleared some extra supplies by putting them in a high deep cabinet (podcast suggestion.) I can see my bedroom floor!!! Woohooo!!!!!

It is such a mechayeh.

I hope I make it strong to day30.
I can see why pesach cleaning will be easier with less STUFF.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box.
Hatzlacha!!
Wow! You're just like me, only I didn't start the declutter challenge and still can't see my bedroom floor!!!! Where can I find more info on this challenge?
Back to top

amother
Apple


 

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:19 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
I wish I had only 1 room
Is there no thumbs up emoji?
Back to top

amother
Charcoal


 

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:25 pm
amother Apple wrote:
Is there no thumbs up emoji?


You may not be logged in
Back to top

amother
Blush


 

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:51 pm
Yes!!! It's a big room and gets all my junk. Online orders, returns, extra food, toys, arts and crafts, e.v.e.r.y.t.h.I.n.g. goes back there. I clean it every so often and 2 days later you can't tell
Back to top

amother
Salmon


 

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 11:26 pm
Yup. It used to be my miklat, like every other neighbor on my street who did the same thing.

Well, that got cleared out very quickly on Oct 8th. It's now the 'warmest' room in
our home. We have pillows, chairs, candies and comic books in there.

All the junk was dispersed around the house.
Back to top

amother
Chicory


 

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 11:36 pm
Of course! I'm not the neatest and I have several. Totally normal. There's an episode of Friends where a really neat character has this locked closet and her husband is going nuts thinking of what could be in there, and **spoiler** it turns out to be her junk closet... This question makes me think of that Smile. Maybe some really neat people don't have a catchall spot but I think many do. A closet is probably better than a room, because then you're giving up valuable living space you could probably use for other things. That's what I try to keep in mind when I work on decluttering. We don't really need a bigger house, we can make better use of the space we have.
Back to top

amother
Apple


 

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 11:39 pm
Thank you for this thread! Makes me feel normal!
Back to top

amother
Apple


 

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 11:39 pm
My mother did not have a dump room.
Back to top

amother
Hyssop


 

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 11:52 pm
No, but I used to. It's been a long journey. I'm glad that I can live in my house now.
Back to top

amother
Honey


 

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 2:56 am
amother Wine wrote:
I have loads of such places.
I'm doing yael wiesners declutter challenge and am up to day 16
So I've gotten rid of or out of my house
One plus two plus three plus four... Through sixteen... Items.
So I think ice done around 100 items so far.
It feels so good!!!!

And I'm inspired to listen to declutter podcasts.
So tonight I got my living room floor cleared, my laundry transferred, and cleared some extra supplies by putting them in a high deep cabinet (podcast suggestion.) I can see my bedroom floor!!! Woohooo!!!!!

It is such a mechayeh.

I hope I make it strong to day30.
I can see why pesach cleaning will be easier with less STUFF.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box.
Hatzlacha!!

Where can I get information to follow this challenge?
Back to top

amother
Apricot


 

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 3:13 am
a dump room or catchball spot is a form of procrastinating
it's a way of saying 'these items don't have a home'

ideally every single thing in your home should serve one of two purposes

1. clear functional use [costumes for Purim-not if you don't have kids who dress up though...]
2. sentimental or monetary value [your wedding photos or your bar of gold - um who has that?]
Back to top

amother
Natural


 

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 3:20 am
amother Apricot wrote:
a dump room or catchball spot is a form of procrastinating
it's a way of saying 'these items don't have a home'

ideally every single thing in your home should serve one of two purposes

1. clear functional use [costumes for Purim-not if you don't have kids who dress up though...]
2. sentimental or monetary value [your wedding photos or your bar of gold - um who has that?]


What about items in transition?
Where do they go?
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:40 am
Thank you for all replies

Regarding declutter challenges, yes I've done those and that's why I feel so disheartened.

It's an endless cycle of falling back into clutter habits sometimes even with 1-2 yr break of being on top of things...

I agree that clutter is a form of decision procrastination . Also coupled with the fact of never experiencing norm organized environment and routine growing up so in some sense id need a complete personality or gene transplant.

I hover between being sick of mess and chaos and hating to be a slave to housework. my mom at least made peace with her extreme hoarding.

Does that resonate with anyone?
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:42 am
amother Apricot wrote:
a dump room or catchball spot is a form of procrastinating
it's a way of saying 'these items don't have a home'

ideally every single thing in your home should serve one of two purposes

1. clear functional use [costumes for Purim-not if you don't have kids who dress up though...]
2. sentimental or monetary value [your wedding photos or your bar of gold - um who has that?]


for hoarders everything has sentimental value. Sad
Back to top

Rappel




 
 
    
 

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:44 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for all replies

Regarding declutter challenges, yes I've done those and that's why I feel so disheartened.

It's an endless cycle of falling back into clutter habits sometimes even with 1-2 yr break of being on top of things...

I agree that clutter is a form of decision procrastination . Also coupled with the fact of never experiencing norm organized environment and routine growing up so in some sense id need a complete personality or gene transplant.

I hover between being sick of mess and chaos and hating to be a slave to housework. my mom at least made peace with her extreme hoarding.

Does that resonate with anyone?


If you're in Israel, I'm currently taking a household management course with Batya Scharf. She's great at encouraging habit building, and how to analyze your personal situation, break down problems and create solutions. I highly recommend her
Back to top

amother
Wine


 

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:55 am
https://yaelwiesner.com/pre-pesach-purge/
Her challenge is to throw out or give away items according to the gematria of the date in Adar. So today, yud zayin, I need to get rid of 17. You're supposed to do it with a buddy for accountability. (I'm not.). She sends a daily email reminder.
I work ahead sometimes and mark down, "did day 16, and 4 more."

I also checked out minimal mom and clutterbug because they were recommended on this site. I started listening to clutterbug last night. She sometimes doesn't use the nicest language, like she'll say ****, so I'm happy none of my kids were around.

She said that people are taught how to clean up their house, but not how to declutter, and washing dishes and doing laundry doesn't prevent pileup! She said deluttering needs to be done daily. If you constantly are trying to put away and hide things before friends come, you need to get rid of half of your stuff.
LOL

Other good advice I got was to declutter your hotspot (like a dresser, counter, table) three set times a day to a five min. Timer.

I also liked her or minimal mom (don't remember which) five Fs-
First work for FIVE minutes on clearing the FLOOR.... Maybe ill manage to learn those2 Fs well and be able to move on to the next 3 Smile

Anyhoo, gotta go and tackle Decluttering my laundry room!
Back to top

amother
Chicory


 

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:18 am
I recommend A Slob Comes Clean- Dana K. White. She has a blog, podcast, and several books. I like to listen to them on hoopla (library app). Decluttering at the Speed of Life is good. I've made better progress using her methods than random challenges where I tend to lose steam.
Back to top
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Weekday dining room tablecloth
by amother
4 Wed, Apr 17 2024, 1:17 pm View last post
by btov
Can I leave zucchini and peppers room temperature?
by amother
4 Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:29 am View last post
Unicorns or dining room chairs
by amother
33 Thu, Apr 11 2024, 2:05 pm View last post
Chair covers for dining room armchairs
by amother
1 Thu, Apr 11 2024, 11:08 am View last post
Dining room table protector
by amother
0 Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:38 am View last post