Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby sleep cycle

Sarah Stein

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 10:33 am
My 10 week old was napping andn sleeping at night amazingly! He now started waking up every half hour 45 minutes during naps and in the night too. It seems he is not connecting sleep cycles. I seem to be doign everything right like a bedtime routine, swaddling, dark quiet room, put him down awake etc etc etc
This has been going on for 2 weeks now. He is on a real routine eating playing sleeping etc...
does anyone know how I can get my amazing napper back ASAP please!!
Thanks

Last edited by Sarah Stein on Mon, Feb 26 2024, 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 10:36 am
10 weeks is really young.
Personally I don't think it's old enough for the kids to have even settled into a pattern especially because stick in one growth spurt, and the whole thing restarts and changes.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 10:38 am
Thats normal. He is so little still.He was probably just really a sleepy newborn before this.
Drop the expectations and roll with it.

SweetAngel

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 11:18 am
Maybe he just needs less sleep now? How many naps and how many hours at night is he sleeping?

Sarah Stein

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 11:42 am
He is tired after awaking after 30 minutes only so I resettle him and he sleeps another 30 to 45 minutes. he was sleeping 8 until 8 without waking up now wakes up from 1 every hour. he again is still tired just needs resettling...

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 11:44 am
Sarah Stein wrote:
My 10 week old was napping andn sleeping at night amazingly! He now started waking up every half hour 45 minutes during naps and in the night too. It seems he is not connecting sleep cycles. I seem to be doign everything right like a bedtime routine, swaddling, dark quiet room, put him down awake etc etc etc
This has been going on for 2 weeks now. He is on a real routine eating playing sleeping etc...
does anyone know how I can get my amazing napper back ASAP please!!
Thanks

Babies don’t need to learn how to connect sleep cycles they naturally will start to when they’re developmentally ready. Naps usually lengthen around 6 months. It’s normal that your baby was napping nicely beforehand since they’re usually rly sleepy as newborns and then they wake up more and are learning more things
I always tell people to take advantage of the sleepy newborn stage! Because then reality kicks in lol. They’ll sleep and you’ll sleep eventually. Hang in.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 11:45 am
Sarah Stein wrote:
He is tired after awaking after 30 minutes only so I resettle him and he sleeps another 30 to 45 minutes. he was sleeping 8 until 8 without waking up now wakes up from 1 every hour. he again is still tired just needs resettling...

Mazel Tov. Is this your first baby? Its really normal what your describing. When he wakes up feed him if he is hungry.

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 11:51 am
amother Sapphire wrote:
Mazel Tov. Is this your first baby? It’s really normal what you’re describing. When he wakes up feed him if he is hungry.

This. Most babies really don’t sleep the night at 10 weeks so what you experienced was amazing but NOT the normal. Somestimes newborns nap well as newborns since they’re so sleepy. But now what you’re experiencing is normal for babies. I guess consider yourself lucky that you got some nice sleep. lol. And when he’s ready he’ll do that again.

SweetAngel

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 12:00 pm
Could it be that he’s not eating enough during the day?
Also when you say you resettle how are you doing so?

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 12:01 pm
Going to echo everyone and say this is completely normal, and will change naturally with age. This is not a skill you should be teaching or expecting to.

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 12:02 pm
Also will add that a wake window of 30 minutes throughout the day sounds very short.

Sarah Stein

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 12:03 pm
Yes its my first.
He was a big baby so never so sleepy newborn..
When he awakes at night he is not hungry (when I feed him he eats slow and calm doesnt seem to interested..)
I use a pacifier untill he falls asleep again

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 12:05 pm
Sarah Stein wrote:
Yes its my first.
When he awakes at night he is not hungry (when I feed him he eats slow and calm doesnt seem to interested..)

That's what nighttime feeding looks like. It doesn't mean he's not hungry. If he latches and continues feeding you can assume he needs to eat.. otherwise he will turn away once your letdown starts.

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 12:09 pm
Sarah Stein wrote:
Yes its my first.

Is the milk supply okay?

Sarah Stein

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 12:14 pm
yes I have tons of milk.. he is eating well and bh a very happy baby. If I let him get up after these short naps he is tired. So babsically I need help in getting him to naturally sleep longer..

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 12:29 pm
Sarah Stein wrote:
yes I have tons of milk.. he is eating well and bh a very happy baby. If I let him get up after these short naps he is tired. So babsically I need help in getting him to naturally sleep longer..

10 week old babies usually sleep for 30 minutes at a time. That's not a short nap, it's a regular nap. Occasionally he will nap longer without your intervention. Why do you think he's tired?

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 12:34 pm
Sarah Stein wrote:

You can’t really get him to naturally sleep longer. He will naturally do it on his own. Short naps are very age appropriate. You can lengthen the nap that is fine. Don’t force it though and don’t make yourself crazy either.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 12:42 pm
Sarah Stein wrote:
Yes its my first.

A big baby is still a sleepy newborn. He is probably hungry at night. Babies should be eating night and day. Are you formula feeding or nursing?
I see you referenced your milk.
A breastfed baby should be nursing at night for a while.
Dont push and force him to sleep. As your baby gets biologically older he will sleep for longer stretches naturally. He is a newborn/ infant at 10 weeks. Nursing at night is for hunger, thirst and comfort and it's important to be there for him for those needs of his.

Sarah Stein

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 9:06 am
just an update, I went off dairy and MAGIC!! he naps amazing and is sleeping at night BH
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics