Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I love the extracurriculars

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:37 am
This is really a spinoff of a different thread that a mother was complaining about the constant trips, chagigas, performances

Throw tomatoes at me.
But I actually really appreciate all the variations activities.
My daughter is actually a really really bright student. Kind of quiet. She's well liked but known as "the genius".
I love that the extracurricular activities, especially the planning before gives her the opportunity to be known as other things, and allows girls to discover her in a different way.
And she learns so much about herself.

Being put in charge of the refreshments meant she has to get over her shyness and call each girl in the class to discuss what they can bring.

Being put on the costume committee made other girls realize that she has an eye for lace trimming.

Being in charge of a shavia iyun, she learned that she's not good at writing song lyrics, but she's very good at directing the choir.

And she learned so much about her friends also, and made different friends that she wouldn't have necessarily naturally been drawn to.

There has to be a balance. And the money is a problem.
But I've really learned that extracurricular is really not a total waste of time in the full educational picture.

Anyone else agree.

amother
Electricblue

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:39 am
I agree I think they are very needed and are a big positive in my kid’s life.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:48 am
So much, for dd who doesn't shine as much academically but does artistically and needs to move, and for dd who is a straight A student and can be seen as also creative by both her classmates and the school.

As long as the school has a balance that not all the extracurriculars are loud and shouty, and there is room for girls who don't like loud and shouty to duck out of that kind after trying it. Some of my best memories are of spending the whole color war day in a side room making a beautiful banner and joining everyone else for presentations later on, knowing they had enjoyed the sports and the craziness and we all contributed.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:51 am
I also love the extracurriculars but I wish they would just give me a price at the beginning of the year so I don’t have to constantly send it small amounts of money and I really wish they would have an end time! Not knowing what time to pick up makes my nights really challenging.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:53 am
"Extracurriculars" outside the frum world refers to optional activities and clubs that are done after school or occasionally before school. Only done by those students who opt into them.

But here we are talking about mandatory activities that are being done during the school day by all students? Or are we using it the regular way above.

amother
Electricblue

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:55 am
amother Dustypink wrote:
"Extracurriculars" outside the frum world refers to optional activities and clubs that are done after school or occasionally before school. Only done by those students who opt into them.

But here we are talking about mandatory activities that are being done during the school day by all students? Or are we using it the regular way above.

That’s not true. They have plenty included in the regular day. You are talking about the extras on top of that.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:58 am
amother Electricblue wrote:
That’s not true. They have plenty included in the regular day. You are talking about the extras on top of that.

You mean like subjects like art, music, and gym? Nobody calls those extracurriculars, those are just classes/subjects.

At the high school level, you might have kids dedicating a period of their school day to something like band or maybe yearbook, but it would still be optional and voluntary.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:05 am
I agree extra circular is needed. It sounds like in your school your kid got a variety in my daughter's school that's not the case and I wonder if her school is the only one.

It's not fair when a school play has the same main actors every year just rotating roles. It's not fair when a certain family is expected to alway be the leading roles. Like a few sisters always get the main parts.
It's not fair when the wealthy kids have been going to gymnastics since they were little and that's why they end up. With certain roles. It makes me want to rob a bank go into debt to be able to afford my kids the opportunity. It actually puts my young teens down because they feel like they are not good at anything. And the school is beeming with pride at their major talent.

It would be nice if schools could teach some talent each year something different. With a play they could switch up the jobs. There is a big difference between a clumsy girl with to left feet and a girl who can't do something because she was never able to work on that skill. It's also even more rewarding when it was worked on.

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:41 am
I agree with OP. I also took tremendous issue with calling it "not learning". Not all learning requires sitting at a desk in a classroom filling out worksheets. These "informal" experiences are just as much learning as what's happening in the classroom. I understand the money issue, and I would be peeved about that too if it was really adding up. And I do believe that it shouldn't be that every week there's another "thing". But there should be something monthly. Like when the sofer or matzoh baker comes to school to give a demonstration. Or going to the tzitzis factory or a museum. Even something fun with a purpose, like teamwork exercises at a ropes course. These are all things my kids' schools have done, and all things I was glad happened and felt were great educational experiences. Education is about more than sitting at a desk while the teacher drones on.

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:52 am
Not speaking as a parent but as a recent student myself- I was an academically strong kid and I loved the extracurriculars. They're not only for the kids who struggle in the classroom! It's a chance for everyone to enjoy, let loose, interact with girls from other classes and grades, and create positive memories. Even for a high schooler, 8 hours of school sitting in a classroom all day is a lot and can really be draining. We have high expectations of students, why not give them a chance to enjoy?
As for the money, I don't think it's right for the schools to not be up front about things and constantly throw fees at you, but I will iyH be happy to pay to give my daughters the experiences I loved in HS
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics