Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chassidish cheder in Monsey
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 12:49 pm
What are some good options for a serious neutral chassidish cheder in monsey with a descent secular education (if there’s even such a thing)
Bais Dovid (I know it’s not “chasidish” but it’s a pretty good mix by now) would be something I would consider but I’m a little skeptical because of what I heard about them. In a nutshell, I get the feeling that it’s kind of like a factory in the sense that each kid is just a number in a big pool of kids, and also that they haven’t really adapted the new style of disciplining. So if I’m correct, it’s not a hitting free and bully free school. I heard that they can still hit the kids sometimes and that they say kids are gonna be kids when it comes to bullying, which to me this means that they couldn’t be bothered to deal with bullying the right way. I wish there was a cheder like bais Dovid but in smaller.
What are some other options?
Can someone differentiate vien from imrei binah? What is their patent body like? All chassidish or do they have a mix of also litvish/yeshivish?
What about Ateres Tzvi (I forgot what their new name is?) Do they still have the very modern chasidish crowd? At one point they had kids from families with tv and some didn’t even keep shabbos properly, that style. How are they now?
Sorry for such a long post.
Any and all info will be greatly appreciated!

Peersupport

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 4:42 pm
People are very happy at Ohr Hatorah. They're nice and small and seems like everything you're looking for.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 5:25 pm
I think before you decide where to send, first see where you are accepted. Getting accepted into most of the chederim you mentioned, isn’t for the faint of heart. You need lots of pull and persistence.

Talmud Torah dmonsey is not that hard to get in and I think it’s considered pretty good cheder. It’s run by rabbi Moskowitz.

Ohr Hatorah I wouldn’t consider in the same category as the imrei binah or vien at all. It’s very frum and don’t believe they put lot of emphasis on secular studies. A lot of people from satmar, tashbar put in there. It has a very diff learning style than any other cheder and think they’re trying to attract the serious chassidish kollel style people. That’s as far as I know, but I’m not very familiar.

As far as diff between vien and imrei binah, I think they’re actually pretty similar but not sure.

Ateres Tzvi is called baar yeshaya, don’t know if it’s still as you’re asking, but it’s considered more modern chassidish.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:05 pm
Ateres Tzvi which is now beer yeshaya is extremely modern some moms go with pants and are not shomer Shabbos.

Regarding the good places apply and see where you get in.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:07 pm
If you don’t know much about Vien or imrei binah then you arnt getting in. They are both impossible as they have room for siblings and basically no one else.

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:25 pm
If your child has any learning issues , he will fall through the cracks in Bais Dovid. Also the secular studies dept has gone down the drain in the last few years . I do not recommend.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:00 pm
Thanks all for your replies.
So basically it seems like parents don’t have a choice anymore. You just need to be happy with the cheder that accepts you. How sad…

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:02 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:
Ateres Tzvi which is now beer yeshaya is extremely modern some moms go with pants and are not shomer Shabbos.

Regarding the good places apply and see where you get in.

I guess it didn’t change much then. Thanks for this

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:05 pm
You need to decide what is most important to you and find a few places that prioritize that.

Yes, it's not a great situation

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
I guess it didn’t change much then. Thanks for this

It did change, it became way more modern then it used to be.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:15 pm
Talmud Torah D'monsey is a good neutral cheder, but I don't know what their English department is like. It is a chassidish cheder after all & they're most likely on par with other chassidish cheders.
Munkatch is also a good option.
I send to Sanz, and I'm quite impressed with their English department. They have different teachers for different subjects. They still don't learn a ton, but they do learn more then it used to be the norm.

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:16 pm
Don’t even bother trying to get into imrei bina, they don’t even send applications cuz they have no room. And if you don’t know what type they are it means you have no pull there so you have no chances.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:23 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
It did change, it became way more modern then it used to be.

Laugh

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:27 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
If your child has any learning issues , he will fall through the cracks in Bais Dovid. Also the secular studies dept has gone down the drain in the last few years . I do not recommend.

I hope my son won’t have learning issues, it’s too early to tell. Is that their only downfall? I know their secular studies have dropped drastically but what about discipline and bullying?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:29 pm
Talmud Torah D'monsey is a good neutral cheder, but I don't know what their English department is like. It is a chassidish cheder after all & they're most likely on par with other chassidish cheders.
Munkatch is also a good option.
I send to Sanz, and I'm quite impressed with their English department. They have different teachers for different subjects. They still don't learn a ton, but they do learn more then it used to be the norm.

What is Talmud Torah d’monsey? What kind of parent body?
What can you tell me about sanz? What is the parent body like?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:32 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
Don’t even bother trying to get into imrei bina, they don’t even send applications cuz they have no room. And if you don’t know what type they are it means you have no pull there so you have no chances.

I have a neighbor that sends their, they look very chasidish and bilingual home but one family is not everything. I heard that imrei binah is supposed to be like the old vien, but based on this discussion, this doesn’t seem to be the case.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
What is Talmud Torah d’monsey? What kind of parent body?
What can you tell me about sanz? What is the parent body like?

Talmud torah D'monsey is a mix of more chilled chassidish & more neutral chassidish.
Sanz is a mix of very chassidish & neutral chassidish.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:03 pm
Talmud torah D'monsey is a mix of more chilled chassidish & more neutral chassidish.
Sanz is a mix of very chassidish & neutral chassidish.

What is the difference between neutral chassidish and chilled chassidish?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
What is the difference between neutral chassidish and chilled chassidish?

Neutral would be frum chassidish but just don’t belong to a chasidus and chilled belonging to a chasidus but chilled?

amother
Lightcyan

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
Neutral would be frum chassidish but just don’t belong to a chasidus and chilled belonging to a chasidus but chilled?

Chilled meaning
Nail polish
Trimmed beard
Watching at home
Very munkatch cheder type
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics