Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do I send picture of someone who stole

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:43 am
Hi I work in a clothes gemach people drop of clothes all the time .
One lady we suspected was stealing about two years ago circumstances happened and she never came back to gemach .no full closer with her she said she didn't steal
Anyway twice I saw her as I come random times before 7 in the morning going through bags when she saw me both times she said I forgot something that I was donating and just checking.bith times she yelled at me saying I was accusing her of stealing.
Third time my daughter saw her as she left home early again she was there looking through bags .I told my boss as sadly I don't appreciate being yelled at anyway she told me to take a picture of her today again I came this time she must have seen me inside so dropped a bag of clothes of.
Anyway I have a picture do I send or not to the boss she's a frum lady works in a special needs gan
Or if my boss asked say I don't have a picture my boss is great helps tonnes of people and would gladly give this lady a discount instead of taking
Thank you

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:03 am
It sounds like she really needs the clothes and is embarrassed to get them in the proper way. She may possibly have a mental health challenge.

How much clothing is she taking? Is it really a problem if the clothes are for giveaway at a gemach anyway? Definitely tell your boss about it as it's your achrayus to her.

Obviously stealing is a problem, but I'm saying is it worth making a fuss about it?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:28 am
This is a question for a rav, not imamother.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:30 am
Im so confused if its donated clothing and its a gemach why can’t you just look the other way? She obviously either needs the clothing or is unwell.

salt

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:41 am
amother Crimson wrote:
Im so confused if its donated clothing and its a gemach why can’t you just look the other way? She obviously either needs the clothing or is unwell.

I agree with this.
Or, if it's that important not to have people stealing, lock the gemach up, and have drop off time only at certain hours, when it's open.

Is the purpose of taking the photo so that your boss can reprimand the thief and demand they return the clothes/pay, or in order to help them and give them special secret access so that they are not embarrassed?
If it's the latter, and the boss would deal with it tactfully, I think show her the photo. If it's to reprimand, I would not do it. Tell her she can go in early and try and catch her herself if she really wants to.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 10:29 am
Thanks everyone

momofone613

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 11:20 am
I was a little confused by the wording of the post. But from what I gather clothes are dropped off outside the door of the Gemach. And someone has been taking. She did this 2 yrs ago, then not again until now... so a 2yr break?

If it's a Gamach, and it's for people in need, why is this even a problem? Is the Gamach clothes at a cheaper price? Or is it people can take for free? I'm very confused why this Isa big deal. It doesn't sound like she's taking a lot. So it's what she needs, and it's donations anyway....

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 11:24 am
Nebach, she seems desperate.
I'd let it go & not cause even more shame. It is the responsibility of the gemach to make sure that the bags that are dropped off are not being left hefker on the street.
It's technically not even stealing if there are bags of clothing out on the street.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:10 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
Nebach, she seems desperate.
I'd let it go & not cause even more shame. It is the responsibility of the gemach to make sure that the bags that are dropped off are not being left hefker on the street.
It's technically not even stealing if there are bags of clothing out on the street.

It's a common issue for gemachs (and thrift stores) that people dump bags of clothing at the doorstep at odd hours, and there often isn't anyone there to pick up for a long time. Even though there are official hours for drops offs and people are requested not to drop off outside those times.
It is possible that it isn't a free gemach, that people are expected to make some sort of payment, so it is stealing. It's also not fair that she's taking whatever she wants at the expense of others who need the clothing.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi I work in a clothes gemach people drop of clothes all the time .
One lady we suspected was stealing about two years ago circumstances happened and she never came back to gemach .no full closer with her she said she didn't steal
Anyway twice I saw her as I come random times before 7 in the morning going through bags when she saw me both times she said I forgot something that I was donating and just checking.bith times she yelled at me saying I was accusing her of stealing.
Third time my daughter saw her as she left home early again she was there looking through bags .I told my boss as sadly I don't appreciate being yelled at anyway she told me to take a picture of her today again I came this time she must have seen me inside so dropped a bag of clothes of.
Anyway I have a picture do I send or not to the boss she's a frum lady works in a special needs gan
Or if my boss asked say I don't have a picture my boss is great helps tonnes of people and would gladly give this lady a discount instead of taking
Thank you

This is a question for your Rov.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:17 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
It's a common issue for gemachs (and thrift stores) that people dump bags of clothing at the doorstep at odd hours, and there often isn't anyone there to pick up for a long time. Even though there are official hours for drops offs and people are requested not to drop off outside those times.
It is possible that it isn't a free gemach, that people are expected to make some sort of payment, so it is stealing. It's also not fair that she's taking whatever she wants at the expense of others who need the clothing.

She also needs the clothing.
If people dump trash bags of clothing on the street, despite being asked not to, then I wouldn't say that she's stealing if she's taking things for herself.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:54 pm
amother Wheat wrote:

Technically true.

But there's right and there's right.

Gemach of this sort should ask their rav if this is something to enforce or "not notice".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics