Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Is there such a thing as too many books?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:02 pm
I have a two year old and we already own like 50 picture books, most of them board books.

I am so tempted to keep buying, but would you say it's a waste? They're relatively affordable and I enjoy getting them for him.

I probably read five to him each day

I don't want to use the library yet because he still tears out pages, will stand on books etc

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:06 pm
If you have the room, go for it. But I find they like the same books over and over again. Also, I never found books to be inexpensive ($5-$15 each really adds up) But you do you!

giftedmom

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:06 pm
Do you have the space?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:07 pm
I don't know about too many. But if you already have 50 I don't really see the point.
Start getting books for the next level, basic stories, etc..

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:11 pm
amother Green wrote:
I don't know about too many. But if you already have 50 I don't really see the point.

Yeah this.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have a two year old and we already own like 50 picture books, most of them board books.

I am so tempted to keep buying, but would you say it's a waste? They're relatively affordable and I enjoy getting them for him.

I probably read five to him each day

I don't want to use the library yet because he still tears out pages, will stand on books etc

I can’t imagine it’s a problem to have too many books, unless you’re pushing him to read new books all the time. Toddlers learn best by rereading the same book again and again (until you think you might go crazy and then you still need to read it another 100 times.)

But if you just have all those books for choice and he’s not getting overwhelmed by all the choices, I can’t see that it would be a problem.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:12 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Do you have the space?

Yeah I do have space..

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:13 pm
amother Green wrote:

Thanks. I did start getting some of those. But he's destroyed almost all the non board books which is why I keep getting those

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:14 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
I can’t imagine it’s a problem to have too many books, unless you’re pushing him to read new books all the time. Toddlers learn best by rereading the same book again and again (until you think you might go crazy and then you still need to read it another 100 times.)

But if you just have all those books for choice and he’s not getting overwhelmed by all the choices, I can’t see that it would be a problem.

Thanks!

He definitely likes reading the same book ten times in a row LOL

I usually tell him to get a different one after our third rerun!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:16 pm
amother Navy wrote:
If you have the room, go for it. But I find they like the same books over and over again. Also, I never found books to be inexpensive ($5-$15 each really adds up) But you do you!

You're right that it adds up, but for the same price of a latte for me I somehow enjoy getting something for him more..

bsy

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:16 pm
I say this as someone who loves books and grew up with tons of books. Don't get more board books. Use what you have and save the space to accumulate regular books when he's a bit older

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:17 pm
bsy wrote:
I say this as someone who loves books and grew up with tons of books. Don't get more board books. Use what you have and save the space to accumulate regular books when he's a bit older

Ok, thanks for your input!

lucky14

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. I did start getting some of those. But he's destroyed almost all the non board books which is why I keep getting those

I think the point is to start accumulating a library for when he’s a bit bigger. He’s probably fine with reading the books you already own over and over. And like someone else mentioned- the repetition is good. Eventually he’ll be ready to move on to higher level books and then what will you do with all of those board books?

Editing to say I see bsy and I wrote basically the same thing 🙂

Last edited by lucky14 on Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:20 pm
I have 2 dedicated closets for toys. Plus a playroom and toys in my kitchen cabinets lol so I get you. Buy all the books you want... IF you can afford the $ and space and it's not overwhelming (you may want to rotate some out).

At 2 I'd start building a real library rather than board books. Hachai has laminated pages and the series I Go To... is perfect for a young toddler.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:31 pm
Why dont you take him to the library and read the books there. When he gets attached to a certain book you could buy that book. I have lots of board books. I buy the ones that teach alphabet and other concept that could include older kids. I rotate my books. I find these board books are Excellent for beginner readers. I wouldn't buy too many boars books that are very toddler staged centered.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:35 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
I have 2 dedicated closets for toys. Plus a playroom and toys in my kitchen cabinets lol so I get you. Buy all the books you want... IF you can afford the $ and space and it's not overwhelming (you may want to rotate some out).

At 2 I'd start building a real library rather than board books. Hachai has laminated pages and the series I Go To... is perfect for a young toddler.

I would love if they made the I go to series in board books. It's easier for my kids to turn the pages I start reading them that series I go to the doctor when they are about 15 months old

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:36 pm
mushkamothers wrote:

Thanks! The laminated ones are a good idea. We have a few that are well loved!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:37 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
Why dont you take him to the library and read the books there. When he gets attached to a certain book you could buy that book. I have lots of board books. I buy the ones that teach alphabet and other concept that could include older kids. I rotate my books. I find these board books are Excellent for beginner readers. I wouldn't buy too many boars books that are very toddler staged centered.

This is a great idea!

Yeah I have some that skew older, like one about the weather etc.

Deep Blue

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:52 pm
Just want to say again about the educational value of re-reading and deep reading books.
Make aure your books are quality.
Also many classics come in board books and are for a bit older like corduroy, Harold and the purple crayon, llama llama...

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:25 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
I would love if they made the I go to series in board books. It's easier for my kids to turn the pages I start reading them that series I go to the doctor when they are about 15 months old

I actually dislike board books. They’re so big and bulky and I find that as soon as they move past that stage, they like the feel of turning pages.

The laminated pages of the Hachai books are brilliant! I wish all my books had it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics