Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help me put fundraising for my child’s school into perspecti

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:24 pm
Last year my daughter’s school suddenly sent out invitations to a melave malka. It was in a nice hall with no charge. When we arrived we were surprised that it was really a fundraiser. Every family was given a packet and told to reach $5k in fundraising. Over the next few weeks we got lots of phone calls and emails to make sure we were fundraising.
My son who is long out of elementary school was always urged to collect for the school so they can build a new building. We as parents had no choice but to include in the tuition a building fee. The building never got built and they collected from us for 9 years.
I understand making a raffle or auction so whoever wants to contribute will do so but I really dislike when the schools force the students and parents to collect for them.
We are sweating so pay our tuition on time. It’s not easy and it’s a lot of money but paying for our children’s education is important and we make sure we pay. But we don’t have extra to give each time they make another fundraiser.
Now my daughter’s school did it again. They happen to have an extremely wealthy benefactor who agreed to cover all costs before the school opened so I’m not sure why they keep making collections. They tried to get us to agree to raise 5k and we said we can’t do that. They went lower but we really can’t commit. They said every parent is obligated to raise at least $1800. Really? In addition to tuition? I’m so upset because I don’t feel like this is right.
Of course I appreciate everything the schools do and that’s why I chose those schools but I don’t understand how they can force us to raise

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Last year my daughter’s school suddenly sent out invitations to a melave malka. It was in a nice hall with no charge. When we arrived we were surprised that it was really a fundraiser. Every family was given a packet and told to reach $5k in fundraising. Over the next few weeks we got lots of phone calls and emails to make sure we were fundraising.
My son who is long out of elementary school was always urged to collect for the school so they can build a new building. We as parents had no choice but to include in the tuition a building fee. The building never got built and they collected from us for 9 years.
I understand making a raffle or auction so whoever wants to contribute will do so but I really dislike when the schools force the students and parents to collect for them.
We are sweating so pay our tuition on time. It’s not easy and it’s a lot of money but paying for our children’s education is important and we make sure we pay. But we don’t have extra to give each time they make another fundraiser.
Now my daughter’s school did it again. They happen to have an extremely wealthy benefactor who agreed to cover all costs before the school opened so I’m not sure why they keep making collections. They tried to get us to agree to raise 5k and we said we can’t do that. They went lower but we really can’t commit. They said every parent is obligated to raise at least $1800. Really? In addition to tuition? I’m so upset because I don’t feel like this is right.
Of course I appreciate everything the schools do and that’s why I chose those schools but I don’t understand how they can force us to raise

100%
Even those who do agree to raise, where are they finding people who have extra money to give to some random school?

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:07 pm
Schools in which most families get tuition discounts may feel more entitled to spread the burden of fundraising.

I'm not saying it's correct or applicable to your school, OP, but it is an attitude I sometimes hear.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 2:36 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
Schools in which most families get tuition discounts may feel more entitled to spread the burden of fundraising.

I'm not saying it's correct or applicable to your school, OP, but it is an attitude I sometimes hear.

No, we are not receiving a tuition discount

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 2:39 pm
I will add that one year one of my kids schools had a fire. There were a lot of issues with the insurance company and they started a rayze it campaign. We contributed and sent out the link. It was extenuating circumstances and our child’s school was closed until they raised enough money for a temporary rental.

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 2:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
No, we are not receiving a tuition discount

You are not, but are many or most others? In that case, you may just be collateral damage, so to speak.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 2:44 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
You are not, but are many or most others? In that case, you may just be collateral damage, so to speak.

I really don’t think so. I’m sure some are but it’s not the majority.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 2:46 pm
Maybe reframe this as instead of being asked for fundraising, you're being asked for some of your masser. That's what I would do if my kids' school sprang this sort of thing on us. If your masser is earmarked elsewhere or already given in full, just politely bit firmly tell them no. You don't have to commit to fundraising money for anyone or anything if you pay full tuition already. But it's also a little assumed that if you can pay full freight, maybe you can help in other ways. I usually sponsor things for my kids' classes like a trip or special lunch, here and there. The rebbeim and morahs know they can call me to ask for things and I'm usually happy to help. But I would never commit to raise X dollars for the school. It's not my way of doing things.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 2:58 pm
This is standard fare for any nonprofit these days. Just send out the link,do your best and don't sweat it.

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 3:01 pm
Both of my children's schools are doing a fundraiser now. I pay full tuition. I took a page and send it out once. Wtvr I get I get. I won't push it. I do pay fully.

As an aside....why do the schools need 500k or more each year plus tuition .....

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 3:31 pm
I do it for my boys’ school because the rebbeim are paid very modestly and they don’t have a new beautiful building and I want the rebbeim to be taken care of and the school to be beautiful etc for kavod hatorah. These rebbeim are so devoted and are teaching my boys lifelong skills. They deserve to be able to make a wedding for the kids without stress etc

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 8:52 pm
Realize that, typically, tuition about covers the cost of payroll. It doesn't cover building maintenance, supplies, utilities, etc.

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 8:57 pm
I struggle with this also.
We are getting a tuition break so I understand why I need to try.
But I really don't appreciate the pressure, the nonstop calls and texts. My family and friends don't have much money.
This relative will give 18 and this relative 36. But I don't see any way how I can get $1800 or $2500 or whatever goal they want me to set.
I make calls. I send links. But I can't squeeze water from a stone and it's so stressful for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics