Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Jewish Ghetto Rome Food
1  2  Next

byisrael

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 2:30 pm
Okay - so we have a 24 hour stopover a week before pesach and I figured out where we want to see

I am trying to decide what we do for food

Is there any place we can pick up chalav Yisroel milk for coffee? Or even go down and get a coffee in the morning

We where told kashrus either Yotvata or Baghetto Milky - for sit down, and any of the bakeries with a hechsher.

Which one would you recommend for dinner and which to grab pizza before the flight?
Also is there anywhere I can by food gifts that are kosher lepesach? Or rome/itatlian jewish history books that I can't find in a typical jewish bookstore

We originally go these flights because they are so cheap (500$ less then a short stopover - and we have a bunch of tickets) and I want to enjoy the experience...

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 3:01 pm
I did something like this many years ago. We went to Yotvata. It was delicious. I forgot how to book these kinds of flights - how do you do it?

byisrael

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 3:29 pm
I use skyscanner, which took me to a website called HOP2. I was a bit scared that it would be a scam, its so cheap, but I got the confirmation from Delta and ITA. I called ITA and if they stop trips to Israel they will either put me on an elal flight to rome or cancel and refund the entire thing Smile

Im really proud of myself - we paid $670 per flight. most of our friends going for pesach got tickets in the 1,100$ range with a short stopover. We have a bunch of travelers, so they savings are significant.

Traveller247

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 3:34 pm
I really enjoyed the food in yotvata, not so much in bagetto milky. There's also a heavenly ice cream place there.
There was an amazing pizza place that unfortunately closed down by covid

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 3:39 pm
Traveller247 wrote:
I really enjoyed the food in yotvata, not so much in bagetto milky. There's also a heavenly ice cream place there.
There was an amazing pizza place that unfortunately closed down by covid

Is the gelatto place chalav yisrael ?
I was under the impression that it wasn't....

koshqueen

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 4:11 pm
We went to Rome this summer for a few days! Baghetto milky was very good, and we did a pasta making class at yotvata which was fun (not sure how much time you’ll have for that).

Bona Pizza was delicious, we went back a second time! Great for a quick bite! However not sure if it’s chalav yisrael…

Traveller247

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 4:23 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
Is the gelatto place chalav yisrael ?
I was under the impression that it wasn't....

I was told it is, aside the whipped cream. But this was a number of years ago, things may have changed

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 5:07 pm
Traveller247 wrote:
I was told it is, aside the whipped cream. But this was a number of years ago, things may have changed

Confirmed that you are correct
YUM!

amother
Mimosa

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 6:21 am
Can you guys critique my itinerary?

Landing 5:15 pm ( luggage will be transfered by airline)
Hope to be out of the airport by 6:15
Here is where I need the most guidance.
It will be evening, I think we can do 2 hours of walking and pics - we wont have time for actual touring, which is fine because I have my 4 1/2 year old with us ( I will nap him on the flight so that we don't have a melt down)
Which area makes more sense:
Start in Castello Sant'Angello, head to Piazza Navona, Panetheon and Fonta Trevi
Or Roman Forum, Arch of Titus, Coliseum and Celio Park

I am from Israel so I feel like the ancient roman stuff is a lot like the roman history in israel, and the first option will be more italian renassiance style, which is different, but I wonder if I am leaning in the wrong way, and will regret it.

Head to Yotvata by 9:30 for dinner, then head to bed.

DH will head to 7:45 minyan, while I will do some bakery and souvenir shopping, with dd.

Meet at shul at 8:45, spend an hour in the shul and museum, then head to hotel to eat the baked stuff as breakfast and check out.

Leave hotel at 10, grab some gelatto and walk the ghetto area sites until 12. Pick up some pizza to eat in the airport/ as we travel for lunch and head to the airport. Flight is at 4:00 pm

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 7:00 am
I think your itinerary is very packed for a short time and I'm wondering if you will actually enjoy all that. Also, some of the times allotted may not be realistic. Rome airport is very large and there is lots of walking. In general, Rome is an amazing city. I've been there 7 times. The food is wonderful and so is the atmosphere. But, it's a big city, there's lots of walking, and you will have young children. I would pick one or two things to do and focus on getting good food to eat and walking around the ghetto with them. I have never been to the Castel, so I can't tell you if it's worth your time. That would not be my choice. I think the Trevi fountain will delight your children, so that's a nice idea. I would go to the Roman Forum and see the Arch of Titus. It's a very important part of Jewish history and the Forum is different from Israel (maybe closest to excavations in Beit Shean, but even then not really). Also, it's probably better for the kids since it is a big open space with ruins and grass. Check on the time that the museum in the Great Synagogue opens. I would be surprised if you could get in as early at 8:30. However, it is worth seeing and the Synagogue is beautiful (if you ever have the opportunity to daven there, take it!) There is a book store in the Ghetto associated with the Museum. However, many of their books are in Italian. You might find a few in English or Hebrew.
Yotvata is amazing. I've eaten there at least a dozen times, most recently in November. We love the waiters, one of whom grew up in Egypt and speaks a little Hebrew. What I like most is that Roman Jewish families eat there. Yotvata has a cheese refrigerator since they own a factory. After your meal, you can take a look and buy what you like to take away. I highly recommend Bona Pizza in the Ghetto, Cremeria Romana Gelato, Boccione Bakery (Cornetto and almond cookies), Kosher Cakes for Maritozzi buns with whipped cream. I don't eat CY, so please check to make sure that those meet your needs. I think Yotvata is CY. Check to see about starting dinner at 9:30 at Yotvata. We've gone there late, but I'm not sure of the timing. Also, there is a hotel called the Monte Cenci directly across from Yotvata. It's a small, well run place and you can get good off season pricing. Not sure what size room you need, but it's convenient for the Ghetto. Have a great trip!
About the night touring, I would suggest a night tour of the Colosseum from Dark Rome. It was great and it takes you below where the animals and gladiators were kept. That isn't on the regular tour. See if you think your kids can handle that. You might even need a stroller for the little one. Make sure to book the Colosseum whenever you go, since lines can be long.

gottago

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 7:04 am
Great resource: romeforjews.com

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 7:07 am
We stayed in a hotel in the Ghetto which included kosher breakfast (I think from Ba'Ghetto, which it was right next to).

It was really handy.

You have to pay to see the arch of Titus. (you can see it from afar for free)

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 7:20 am
Little kosher grocery in the Ghetto may have CY milk for your coffee. Also, you might be able to buy a cup to take away from Yotvata. Here is the link for the grocery: https://kosherdelight.it/?utm_.....gmaps

Kosher Cakes in the Ghetto sells coffee. I think they have espresso or latte. Just a note on that, Italians drink tiny cups of coffee and most places do not have huge American style iced coffees. A very large coffee in Italy would be the size of our standard 8 oz cup, even iced.

byisrael

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 8:27 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
I think your itinerary is very packed for a short time and I'm wondering if you will actually enjoy all that. Also, some of the times allotted may not be realistic. Rome airport is very large and there is lots of walking. In general, Rome is an amazing city. I've been there 7 times. The food is wonderful and so is the atmosphere. But, it's a big city, there's lots of walking, and you will have young children. I would pick one or two things to do and focus on getting good food to eat and walking around the ghetto with them. I have never been to the Castel, so I can't tell you if it's worth your time. That would not be my choice. I think the Trevi fountain will delight your children, so that's a nice idea. I would go to the Roman Forum and see the Arch of Titus. It's a very important part of Jewish history and the Forum is different from Israel (maybe closest to excavations in Beit Shean, but even then not really). Also, it's probably better for the kids since it is a big open space with ruins and grass. Check on the time that the museum in the Great Synagogue opens. I would be surprised if you could get in as early at 8:30. However, it is worth seeing and the Synagogue is beautiful (if you ever have the opportunity to daven there, take it!) There is a book store in the Ghetto associated with the Museum. However, many of their books are in Italian. You might find a few in English or Hebrew.
Yotvata is amazing. I've eaten there at least a dozen times, most recently in November. We love the waiters, one of whom grew up in Egypt and speaks a little Hebrew. What I like most is that Roman Jewish families eat there. Yotvata has a cheese refrigerator since they own a factory. After your meal, you can take a look and buy what you like to take away. I highly recommend Bona Pizza in the Ghetto, Cremeria Romana Gelato, Boccione Bakery (Cornetto and almond cookies), Kosher Cakes for Maritozzi buns with whipped cream. I don't eat CY, so please check to make sure that those meet your needs. I think Yotvata is CY. Check to see about starting dinner at 9:30 at Yotvata. We've gone there late, but I'm not sure of the timing. Also, there is a hotel called the Monte Cenci directly across from Yotvata. It's a small, well run place and you can get good off season pricing. Not sure what size room you need, but it's convenient for the Ghetto. Have a great trip!
About the night touring, I would suggest a night tour of the Colosseum from Dark Rome. It was great and it takes you below where the animals and gladiators were kept. That isn't on the regular tour. See if you think your kids can handle that. You might even need a stroller for the little one. Make sure to book the Colosseum whenever you go, since lines can be long.

Thanks
Ok - so since we have little kids and its a short time we don't want major sites in depth - more like walk around,see nice things and take quick pics. Definitely no time for tours.

Saying that would you still say colosseum/ roman forum part of town versus the Trevi fountain/Piazza Navona part of town? Doubt we can do both. I guess I am wondering if we will enjoy it since we don't ahve time for a guide or to really get into the history

I checked and yotvata is open until 11, and I assumed we could do the shul right after the 7:45 davening, but if we cant we can go to the hotel, check out, walk around and get food and do that when it opens at 10 on the way out.

You said that rome airport is very big - does that stand if we only have hand luggage and don't need to deal with baggage?

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:03 am
The distances through the airport are great. There are some people movers, but expect lots of walking. You won't need to collect baggage, but you will have to do passport control, which can be long lines, depending on how many other passengers are waiting. You may get out in an hour, or you may not. The Ghetto is about 40 minutes from the airport. If you only have time for a few things, I would do the Colosseum and Arch of Titus. That's a long walk from the Ghetto, so I'd expect to take a taxi or Uber. If you're walking, you could just do the Ghetto with shul and then the Trevi fountain. Campo Di Fiori market is a short walk from the Ghetto. It's fruits and veggies, flowers, and other products. 2 minutes away is the Leonardo Da Vinci Museum, which your kids might like. It's a little dusty, but his inventions are re-created and you can interact with some of them. That might be good with kids. You could do that with the Trevi Fountain. I would at a minimum get a cab ride to the area near the Colosseum so you could at least see the outside. You can get a glimpse of the Arch of Titus from outside the Forum a short walk from the Colosseum. But you will do well with just staying near the Ghetto and enjoying the food and atmosphere.

doctorima

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:27 am
I agree that trying to cram in too much will not be enjoyable, so it depends what your goal is. If your goal is to do whatever your toddler will most enjoy, then Trevi fountain is likely a better choice than the Colosseum. That said, our goal when we travel is to whenever possible focus on the "bucket list" aspect of a place. I would be sad to have such a long layover in Rome and not even see the Colosseum (and nearby Arch of Titus as a Jew).

Your child honestly won't remember much of anything, but can always find a pretty fountain somewhere else. I get such nachas when my kids come home from school and say that they learned about the Colosseum / Eiffel Tower/ Big Ben / etc. and get to raise their hands and say that they've been there. So that would certainly be my vote.

byisrael

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 1:13 pm
doctorima wrote:
I agree that trying to cram in too much will not be enjoyable, so it depends what your goal is. If your goal is to do whatever your toddler will most enjoy, then Trevi fountain is likely a better choice than the Colosseum. That said, our goal when we travel is to whenever possible focus on the "bucket list" aspect of a place. I would be sad to have such a long layover in Rome and not even see the Colosseum (and nearby Arch of Titus as a Jew).

Your child honestly won't remember much of anything, but can always find a pretty fountain somewhere else. I get such nachas when my kids come home from school and say that they learned about the Colosseum / Eiffel Tower/ Big Ben / etc. and get to raise their hands and say that they've been there. So that would certainly be my vote.

It's so interesting - I guess because the Coliseum and Arch of Titus have so much meaning as a Jew - I feel uncomfortable treating it like the "buket list" ala eiffal Tower - it is such a symbol of the churban to me.
It almost feels like going to snap a quick aushwitz pic - going to Auschwitz for a full tour is important and meaningful, but doing it superficially feels almost wrong....

On the other hand, yes it feels weird to go to rome and not come home with pics under the arch of titus and the coliseum.

Also - dh just told me that he would like to try to get micha marrive in a shul - and online it says 10 min before shkiya which is 7:52 on the day of travel. If we can make that what does this new itinerary sound like:

7:40 - dh does mincha/marriv great synagogue, while I check us in
8:15 dinner at yotvata
9:30 cab to Castello Sant'Angello walk over the bridge to Piazza Navona, Fonta Trevi, if we have energy walk around the ghetto

7:45 - shachris + bakeries to pick up treats for breakfast + lunch for later
Check out 9:45
go to shul museam at 10
pick up gellato
take a cab to the coliseum and arch of titus - no official tour just snap pics
cab to the airport

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:04 pm
As long as you are flexible and roll with whatever happens. Just enjoy, soak it all in and go back another time for a real visit. Its doubtful you can do all you want but so what. Whatever you get, you get!

doctorima

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 3:19 pm
The Great Synagogue is magnificent! If at all possible, I'd encourage you to try to accompany DH to davening there to see it for yourself.

But when we were there several years ago, security was not so simple. You should definitely bring your passport to get in, but you may also need to pre-register, so I'd suggest emailing them in advance to confirm their current security protocol so that you don't end up disappointed and stuck outside.

And I understand that you don't want to just rush through things (which is why we took tours of both the Jewish Ghetto and also the Colosseum/Arch of Titus), but I still wouldn't equate it to Auschwitz. And if this is the only time you have available on this trip, do the best you can and hopefully next time you'll have time for a tour as well.

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 4:35 pm
My husband and I did a nice walking tour (on our own - it was an audio guide) that started near the ghetto. We actually had dinner in yotvata and then did the walking tour which took us to all the main sites in the area and I think ended at the trevi fountain. I would recommend something like that for the night you arrive, you would probably need a stroller though it'll be quite late for your toddler.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics