Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby’s eczema flares up after a bath
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 12:16 am
Even a quick bath makes the eczema flare up terribly. Baby is miserable. Immediately after bath I cover baby with lotion. It helps minimally. Any advice? Any completely natural shampoo recommendations? (Currently using cetaphil baby shampoo)

octopus

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 12:18 am
The best thing after a bath is good old fashioned Vaseline. Yes it's messy. And cotton pj's. It might just be your lotions that are setting him off . If it's out of control you may need to use a da of hydrocortisone prescription strength and a dab if bactriban.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 12:20 am
octopus wrote:
The best thing after a bath is good old fashioned Vaseline. Yes it's messy. And cotton pj's. It might just be your lotions that are setting him off . If it's out of control you may need to use a da of hydrocortisone prescription strength and a dab if bactriban.

I put Vaseline or aquaphor, and sometimes aveeno lotion and hydrocortisone. It hardly helps. After a bath is horrible

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 12:21 am
Is something in the soap irritating it further?

octopus

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 12:23 am
I would also think it's the soap or shampoo. Did you ever try to see if his/her skin reacts after a plain just water bath with no soaps and shampoos?

octopus

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 12:24 am
And by the way Aveeno can be irritating. I never have found it helpful.

octopus

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 12:25 am
Also what stage is the eczema up to. Is it just red and rough or peeling red scales already flaking off? My little one just made a comeback from his eczema and I'm so excited.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 12:45 am
octopus wrote:
I would also think it's the soap or shampoo. Did you ever try to see if his/her skin reacts after a plain just water bath with no soaps and shampoos?

Good idea I will try that.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 12:46 am
octopus wrote:
Also what stage is the eczema up to. Is it just red and rough or peeling red scales already flaking off? My little one just made a comeback from his eczema and I'm so excited.

It turns red then starts flaking then turns red again…

chaya2947384

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 12:47 am
My sister was just like this, and regardless of cetaphil soap as great as that is, getting her skin wet was the problem - the solution, only bathe them once a week, or less, and immediately after my mother would slather her head to toe in Aquaphor. Aveeno is nice but it's still got perfumes in it which burn eczema/dermatitis. By the time she was 4-5 it wasn't an issue anymore

Now when she learned to walk and realized we couldn't catch her when she ran around the house greased up with Aquaphor, that's another problem ...

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 12:58 am
chaya2947384 wrote:
My sister was just like this, and regardless of cetaphil soap as great as that is, getting her skin wet was the problem - the solution, only bathe them once a week, or less, and immediately after my mother would slather her head to toe in Aquaphor.

How odd. Did you ever figure out the root cause?

I mean, she can't be allergic to water.

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 1:01 am
Our dermatologist told us to bathe little ones once a week

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 1:11 am
DrMom wrote:
How odd. Did you ever figure out the root cause?

I mean, she can't be allergic to water.

I just googled it. It’s not allergies to the water, but the eczema getting wet can be the irritant

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 1:29 am
Albolene is "clinically proven" to help heal eczema. (Whatever that means.)

dena613

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 1:39 am
Dove is supposed to be good.
If your baby has eczema you really should only bathe her when really necessary, because its bad for eczema

nechama2

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 1:46 am
tichellady wrote:
Our dermatologist told us to bathe little ones once a week

So did ours! Without soap!
We ended up bathing even less frequently than that as we realized that the longer he went without a bath the clearer his skin got. Sometimes I just washed him with a damp washcloth. By the age of one the eczema had cleared completely and now has regular frequent baths.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 1:52 am
Colloidal oatmeal aveeno shampoo?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:16 am
amother OP wrote:
Good idea I will try that.

Try a soap free bath first so you'll know if it's the water or the soap.
Almost all cases of eczema happens in the gut and comes out on the skin. Usually clears up by the time the kid is out of toddlerhood. Some even faster. (Very few cases are environmental. And those usually stick around)

One thing I've done for my kids with dry skin. Is ACV. It was actually my kids pediatrician who recommended I use that instead of soap. Just add some to the bathwater and wipe kid down w wet washcloth. My babies smelled like gan eden!

ACV has many amazing healing properties. It's amazing for yeast/fungus infections (which in some cases is the cuase of eczema), indigestion, gas pain, speeding up metabolism, generally for digestion. (taken internally) and so many other things.

But I never tried it on a child with eczema. I wonder if anyone here has tried it.

Refuah sheleima to your baby.

Rabbit613

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:19 am
I used to put oatmeal in a sock in the bath. The juice would run into the bath. It is supposed to calm the eczma.
Also make sure the water is not too warm because that irritates it even more.

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:27 am
My doctor said a bath every night but no soaps or anything. You do need to put a special oil or moisturizer in the water since water alone dries the skin out. Bh my baby is doing really well after starting this
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics