Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Edible Cookie dough?
1  2  Next

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 1:58 pm
If you are from the "I love homemade food in mm" camp, this question is for you.

Would you eat edible cookie dough, assuming it's packaged appealing and clearly labeled so it's clear it's the kind that's safe to eat raw (egg-free and heat-treated flour on the label)? With a cute little spoon in a cute jar?

Last edited by watergirl on Thu, Feb 29 2024, 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

mha3484

Yes for sure as long as its labeled why not.

amother
White

Yum, edible cookie dough is the best! If it looks clean and is packaged up nicely, for sure!!

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:03 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Yes for sure as long as its labeled why not.

I'm thinking of older people on my list who wont want to eat it? Maybe I should just stick with what I usually do.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:08 pm
Definitely not, I would dump it, just being honest, and I do like raw cookie dough. Besides I doubt it's considered a food and wouldn't qualify as shalach monos but you can ask your Rav.
I vote do your regular thing.

scintilla

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:09 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Definitely not, I would dump it, just being honest, and I do like raw cookie dough. Besides I doubt it's considered a food and wouldn't qualify as shalach monos but you can ask your Rav.

Curious why you would dump it? The 2 things she mentioned would make it totally safe. I'd be fine eating it.

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:12 pm

It's meant to be eaten raw, you make a bracha on it. Also, you only need to give to ONE person, the rest is just for fun. So really, the mishloach manos I give to my older neighbor and kid's rebbes would take care of each person in my families requirement.

also, for those who followed my other thread (and I may regret posting this under my name!) but maybe this could be my side hock!

Last edited by watergirl on Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:12 pm
Honestly? No.

I'd assume your oven broke down and you were forced to get creative. Maybe I'd take it and bake it myself?

scruffy

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:13 pm
I would keep it only if it looks very clean, professionally packaged and still cold to touch when I get it.

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:16 pm
Yes! This would be a shalach manos I would hide and eat myself without sharing with anyone!!! This would probably be my favorite one!

Bubbles77

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:16 pm
watergirl wrote:
I'm thinking of older people on my list who wont want to eat it? Maybe I should just stick with what I usually do.

They can always stick it in the oven for a fresh hot cookie if they don't want it raw! More likely they won't go through the trouble but if this is what you want to do you don't have to let that stop you

chili-n-cholent

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:18 pm
Yum! If it's from somebody I know, and it's wrapped nicely and I know they run a clean kitchen I would eat it all up myself and maybe share a tiny bit with dh Very Happy

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:19 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
Yes! This would be a shalach manos I would hide and eat myself without sharing with anyone!!! This would probably be my favorite one!

That's what I think I would do if someone sent it to me! I think I'm going to do it.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:20 pm
watergirl wrote:
It's meant to be eaten raw, you make a bracha on it. Also, you only need to give to ONE person, the rest is just for fun. So really, the mishloach manos I give to my older neighbor and kid's rebbes would take care of each person in my families requirement.

also, for those who followed my other thread (and I may regret posting this under my name!) but maybe this could be my side hock!

I'm curious what a Rav would say because dough is essentially made to be baked so even though you created an "edible" form it still might not be qualify as a food. Of course you don't need to really worry about that if you're giving others.
Why wouldn't I eat it? Probably because I'd still have my concerns even though it's heat treated, I still don't consider it edible food, like I said I do nibble on my own dough but I wouldn't eat a bowl of it.
I would love a roll of dough that I could slice an bake!

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:47 pm
Only if in a sealed commercial package, and even then probably not. I don't care for it even in ice cream, so why would I eat sweetened Play-Doh on its own?

Tao

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 3:34 pm
Yes, absolutely. I was recently eating bought cookie dough and said to my husband, "We have to do this one year for MM!" Now I just have to think of a theme to tie it in with LOL LOL

mommyla

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 4:20 pm
I got it once from one of the professional places and I thought it was awful! (And I’ll eat an entire bowl of actual cookie dough given the opportunity.) I guess it’s a matter of taste because lots of people seem to like it.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 4:23 pm
Tao wrote:
Yes, absolutely. I was recently eating bought cookie dough and said to my husband, "We have to do this one year for MM!" Now I just have to think of a theme to tie it in with LOL LOL

Your theme could be...
1. Tzeddaka - give a lot of 'dough'
2. Sound of music - 'doe' a deer
3. We often do themes with 7 - and one year we did 'do', re, mi, fa, so la, ti

Princess23

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 4:26 pm
watergirl wrote:
If you are from the "I love homemade food in mm" camp, this question is for you.

Would you eat edible cookie dough, assuming it's packaged appealing and clearly labeled so it's clear it's the kind that's safe to eat raw (egg-free and heat-treated flour on the label)? With a cute little spoon in a cute jar?

Ya, I use to get them while pregnant. It’s almost like ice cream.

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 4:30 pm
Your theme could be...
1. Tzeddaka - give a lot of 'dough'
2. Sound of music - 'doe' a deer
3. We often do themes with 7 - and one year we did 'do', re, mi, fa, so la, ti

Ok I never do themes but I love the play on dough!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics