Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler climbing out of crib

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 3:06 pm
so my 3 yo son just recently figured out how to climb out of his crib. but still didn't give us much trouble till yesterday. it took over two hrs to get him to sleep, he just kept on coming out of his crib. and he wanted to sleep in abba's bed, but he didn't stay there long either. obviously, if we had give him ices or juice he would have gone to sleep no problem, he was sooo tired, but I'm not intersted in starting with any 'crutches'. tonight right off the bat, I told him he can go into abba's bed but if he comes out he's in his crib and tonight it took over an hour and then my husband lay with him and sang and finally he allowed himself to be put in the crib and passed out. so I plan on moving him to a bed with a small rail tom night. but how do I keep him there? I can't even keep him in the crib, what'll I do with a bed??!! please advise.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 3:12 pm
my kids still come out of their beds. some nights are better than others. sometimes they go to bed with minimal fuss, and other times it can take almost two hours for them to fall asleep. it's a normal part of life, B"H, albeit frustrating at times.

perhaps after the novelty wears off, he'll go to sleep nicely. but it may take a couple of weeks. maybe you'll be able to promise him a small treat or something for the next day for going to bed nicely. maybe you'll have to be "tough guy." experiment! hang in there.

ChanahLeah

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 7:43 pm
I went thru this with my older kids, and it is a pain to not have them confined to a crib. I just had to keep walking them back to their bed and once they realized that I wasn't going to give in and let them sleep with me, or be up, they gave up and started staying in their own beds. It will get better, but I do understand what you are going thru. I am thoroughly enjoying that my 1 year old is in his crib and not showing any attempt to climb. Hang in there and stay strong. I learned for me it was all about the follor thru..

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 7:46 pm
I take my toddlers out of cribs and into a bed by two ... make a big deal about it ... buy FUN sheets and stuff ... he needs his space and to start being a little boy and not a baby ...

ny_ima

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 7:58 pm
count ur blessings that he didnt do it till now! 3 yrs? thats really something.
my kids started climbing out under a year. when I see my kids start to climb... I take the initiative to actually teach them how to do it safely, rather than to wait till they jump out and ouch!
try to give him something special to take to bed (abba's pillow?) if he stays. close ur door so he knows he has no place but in his own comfy bed. keep rail down so he wont hurt himself getting out.
good nite ds pinkandyellow!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics