Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Anybody else wonders - is skincare a scam?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

synthy

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:28 pm
Btw the skincare markups on high end brands are INSANE. You can buy a 1 oz bottle of a fancy oil for $10, When you can literally buy 16 oz of the same thing for that price or cheaper (just without the fancy dropper bottle). What you’re paying for it the fancy bottle and the name.

scruffy

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:40 pm
synthy wrote:
Btw the skincare markups on high end brands are INSANE. You can buy a 1 oz bottle of a fancy oil for $10, When you can literally buy 16 oz of the same thing for that price or cheaper (just without the fancy dropper bottle). What you’re paying for it the fancy bottle and the name.

And there are brands out there that will repackage the same product for $80

amother
Currant

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:41 pm
ahuvasrob wrote:
I think the sun is actually healthy for you. So many health benefits which you can't get properly in any other way or from any other applications

It damages your skin. If you want good skin wear sunscreen every day even in the winter.

amother
Currant

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:42 pm
peace2 wrote:
A lot of it is overpromising. You get the best results by moisturizing, using sunscreen, and staying hydrated. Genetics plays a big role. I really don't think any of those serums, creams, etc. do much of anything. Overdoing skincare is probably bad for your skin in the long run (like exfoliating too much)

I really don't believe this. It can make a huge difference if you are using the right products.
Skincare changed my life.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:46 pm
amother Currant wrote:
It damages your skin. If you want good skin wear sunscreen every day even in the winter.

But this is what they’re saying now. 30 years ago they said the opposite. So maybe this is also part of marketing?

How can you believe anything?

amother
Lotus

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
But this is what they’re saying now. 30 years ago they said the opposite. So maybe this is also part of marketing?

How can you believe anything?

They didn't say different 30 years ago. I was told this as teen.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:53 pm
I agree lots of skincare products are a scam as in they're way overpriced & make phony claims. This doesn't mean a good moisturizer & maybe some targeted products if you have skin problems won't do you any good. Personally I believe washing face twice a day is counterproductive. We're better off not even washing every day.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:00 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
They didn't say different 30 years ago. I was told this as teen.

True, but the tanning craze was real and skin brands were selling tanning accelerating products.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:02 pm
amother Olive wrote:
I agree lots of skincare products are a scam as in they're way overpriced & make phony claims. This doesn't mean a good moisturizer & maybe some targeted products if you have skin problems won't do you any good. Personally I believe washing face twice a day is counterproductive. We're better off not even washing every day.

Same as hair care and shampoo. Years ago we were being told to use the strongest shampoos and to wash often. Nowadays we’re being told the total opposite.

Seems like trends to me.

amother
Lotus

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
True, but the tanning craze was real and skin brands were selling tanning accelerating products.

They still are selling such products.

amother
Lotus

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Same as hair care and shampoo. Years ago we were being told to use the strongest shampoos and to wash often. Nowadays we’re being told the total opposite.

Seems like trends to me.

Research is constantly ongoing, so info changes along with it. But I think in regards to the dangers of the sun for aging and skin cancers, there isn't much dispute about that.

amother
Glitter

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:09 pm
No, its not a scam. Maybe part of it is, but some of it is legit.
Someone I met a while back, who I assumed to be in her low to mid 30s, told me shes actually almost 50.
I was shocked. I jokingly asked her what her skin care regimen is, and if she has great genetics, and she told me she actually doesnt have very good genes skin wise, and shes been using tretinoic acid (which is very much touted in the skin care world...a prescription retinoid) for years.
Not sure what she looks like today, but im going to assume she still looks great.
At almost 50 she looked like young 30s, I still cant get over it...
(And there was nothing else to it. She hadnt had botox, or fillers etc...she just moisturized twice a day and used tretinoic acid for years)

amother
Lotus

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:14 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
No, its not a scam. Maybe part of it is, but some of it is legit.
Someone I met a while back, who I assumed to be in her low to mid 30s, told me shes actually almost 50.
I was shocked. I jokingly asked her what her skin care regimen is, and if she has great genetics, and she told me she actually doesnt have very good genes skin wise, and shes been using tretinoic acid (which is very much touted in the skin care world...a prescription retinoid) for years.
Not sure what she looks like today, but im going to assume she still looks great.
At almost 50 she looked like young 30s, I still cant get over it...
(And there was nothing else to it. She hadnt had botox, or fillers etc...she just moisturized twice a day and used tretinoic acid for years)

How would you know how much of a role her skin regimen played if she good genes.

Light1234

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:15 pm
I have wondered about this all my life! Thanks for bringing it up

amother
Begonia

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:26 pm
I don't think it's a scam per se, but it's not very evidence based and heavily marketed. Like with everything else health related, there's going to be a genetic predisposition piece, but outside of that, skin health is really an inside job. Making sure your diet is clean and nutrient dense, your liver is working well to clear cellular debris, your gut is in optimal shape,your thyroid and adrenals are supported, you are on top of inflammation and chronic infections, you are getting adequate minerals, b vitamins, biotin, zinc, collagen will do a whole lot more for your skin than anything you can apply topically.

amother
White

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:30 pm
I didn't read the response, but yes I believe skincare is a scam. I also think half the vitamins are a waste (maybe only some for very specific conditions).
But so are designer brands.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:36 pm
Not sure, but I think moderation is important.

Lower priced. Don't overdo it. I try to:

in a.m., & pm, to rinse with a gentle cleanser like a Cerave brand. Apply lotion (in a.m. which contains mineral sun protection); then on top of this a low priced trader Joe's serum or oil like coconut, followed by a little cream.

Once or twice I'll add a gentle exfoliant to the rinse. Retinol cream used long term & takes a while to see results, which one can get at affordable prices with a prescription, are considered credible ways to maintain youthful skin (just not recommended to be used during pregnancy).

I believe in tlc, but avoid the rabbit hole of expensive products promising photo shopped like results. I tend to think that middle aged or older women who have impeccable skin either are blessed with it naturally, or are doing pricey treatments either with dermatologists or at spas.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:50 pm
amother Currant wrote:
Paulas Choice stuff isnt a scam. It made my skin great. It’s worth every penny IHO.

What do you use? Can you post a regimen?
I remember her books 😃

amother
RosePink

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:58 pm
I use no skin care at all and am always told I have beautiful skin. I think it's just genetics.

amother
Darkblue

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 3:11 pm
MUA here. I feel that skin care is all a scam, no matter the brand. However using a good moisturizer and keeping away from the sun will definitely help with the prevention of wrinkles.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics