Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Anybody else wonders - is skincare a scam?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Darkblue

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:15 pm
And many people that do fillers, botox, or other types of anti aging treatments, don't necessarily admit it. As they age it becomes visible on their skin that it's not natural at all.

amother
Glitter

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:20 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
How would you know how much of a role her skin regimen played if she good genes.

Well she said herself she has horrible genes for skin, based on her family. So lets assume she doesnt have good genes.

The fact that she regularly used a prescription retinoid for many years is a lot more of a likely reason for her looking so much younger

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:53 pm
Big BeautyPharm is pretty much a scam, but skincare itself is not. Neglect your skin and it will eventually show the effects. We know now that sun exposure is the single biggest cause of premature aging, not to mention skin cancer. So avoiding sun exposure is important, but so is living a generally healthy lifestyle. Don't smoke, get enough sleep, protect your skin from extremes of heat and cold, keep your skin clean, apply oil or cream or lotion to keep it from drying out, etc. etc. And choose your antecedents carefully, because genetics does play a role, but it is not the whole story.

What you use makes little diff. Vaseline or olive oil is as good as, if not better than, a cream, lotion or "serum" that costs $250 an ounce. Most of the cost of prestigious beauty products is packaging and advertising. Those supermodels get paid big bucks, advertising in all those magazines and billboards costs a fortune, those exquisite custom-designed little flacons and jars and pots and tubes don't come cheap, and the manufacturer has to recoup that cost somehow.

However, Vaseline and olive oil are greasy and will stain your clothes and pillowcase, plus they don't smell like a garden. Many of us associate Vaseline with diaper-changing or chafing relief, neither of which is an image or smell we wish to carry around in our heads when making ourselves beautiful. So we fall for the pseudo-scientific hype, covet the charming packaging and persuade ourselves that if we but use XYZ product, we, too, will have flawless skin, profligate eyelashes and alluring lips like the model in the ad on Page 6.

sara1232

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:56 pm
Not to derail the thread, but I always wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't do any skincare whatsoever. I wash my face in the shower w soap and that's it. No moisturizer or anything.
And my skin feels perfectly fine.

amother
Poppy

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:02 pm
zaq wrote:
Big BeautyPharm is pretty much a scam, but skincare itself is not. Neglect your skin and it will eventually show the effects. We know now that sun exposure is the single biggest cause of premature aging, not to mention skin cancer. So avoiding sun exposure is important, but so is living a generally healthy lifestyle. Don't smoke, get enough sleep, protect your skin from extremes of heat and cold, keep your skin clean, apply oil or cream or lotion to keep it from drying out, etc. etc. And choose your antecedents carefully, because genetics does play a role, but it is not the whole story.

What you use makes little diff. Vaseline or olive oil is as good as, if not better than, a cream, lotion or "serum" that costs $250 an ounce. Most of the cost of prestigious beauty products is packaging and advertising. Those supermodels get paid big bucks, advertising in all those magazines and billboards costs a fortune, those exquisite custom-designed little flacons and jars and pots and tubes don't come cheap, and the manufacturer has to recoup that cost somehow.

However, Vaseline and olive oil are greasy and will stain your clothes and pillowcase, plus they don't smell like a garden. Many of us associate Vaseline with diaper-changing or chafing relief, neither of which is an image or smell we wish to carry around in our heads when making ourselves beautiful. So we fall for the pseudo-scientific hype, covet the charming packaging and persuade ourselves that if we but use XYZ product, we, too, will have flawless skin, profligate eyelashes and alluring lips like the model in the ad on Page 6.

I'll take advice on choosing my ancestors if you have any... Come to think of that, that can solve a lot of my problems! LOL

synthy

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:04 pm
zaq wrote:

There is a big difference between olive oil and Vaseline. Vaseline is mineral oil, basically paraffin, and it’s an occlusive, meaning it locks moisture in but doesn’t have any benefits for the skin. Otoh olive oil is a plant oil and packed with nutrients.

PrairieFairy

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:10 pm
Yes and no.

As a Life, Success, and Empowerment Coach I usually approach these kinds of things emotionally as well. Everything has a component of that as well.

When we ask ourselves why we need the skincare and what we are hoping to achieve from it....if we dig deep enough, we can see that some of it is due to low self-esteem and wanting to fit in or be looked at with more respect.

These are reasonable things to want. HOWEVER, when we don't realize that we're trying to achieve these things via an indirect method such as skincare, "WE" become scammable. We are more likely to make decisions and purchase things that are not actually helpful to the full extent because fear of not being "liked" or "enough" is clouding the brain to over-inflate the help it will give.

When we do that work before, it's a much better return on the investment to COUPLE these kinds of purchases with inner work.

That's not to say that skincare is a scam, it's just that the field is so full of emotional decisions (just like the dieting niche. People throw money at diets one after the other without being fully logical about if this one will work for you or fully sticking with it because the emotional piece. There will always be expensive skincare because there will always be people who are desperate for an external solution to feel better about themselves).

I personally have GORGEOUS skin. I've been told this many times. Part I think is genetic but I have 9 siblings and my skin is the best of all of them. My skincare is a specific face washing routine with JUST water and depends on the seasons (I sometimes add a regular cheap face moisturizer in the winter). Sunscreen is great as well but tbh I don't really use it but it is smarter to.

I went traveling for a few months and stopped my routine and got acne right away. So part is genetic. But part is a skincare routine...and again. Mine is just WATER (and a toothbrush for exfoliating...so basically free).

But also. A HUGE part is emotional. I work on my emotional health so I am not susceptible to spending hundreds on a cream to avoid aging and was able to make a more serene decision for my own skin and my skin is better overall AND the choices I make regarding my skincare is appropriate for me as opposed to just "wanting to look like someone else". (others skin MAY need a cream. When I did emotional work and faced it more serenely, found that my water approach is great).

When the wrinkles come, I will embrace them. In my 30's now and my forehead wrinkles have all but disappeared as well due to working on my emotional health (and I have no other wrinkles yet). Definitely need to up the sunscreen though for health!!!

So yes and no. Look at a bigger picture! What specific condition are you trying to treat with skincare?

Last edited by PrairieFairy on Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cherry

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:10 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
Well she said herself she has horrible genes for skin, based on her family. So lets assume she doesnt have good genes.

The fact that she regularly used a prescription retinoid for many years is a lot more of a likely reason for her looking so much younger

It actually DOES work:

https://www.health.harvard.edu.....nkles

amother
Lily

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:11 pm
I break out from sunscreen! Anyone has one that doesn't cause breakouts?

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:12 pm
When my dd went to Arizona I asked her to deliver a gift to a friend of mine who had moved there years before. DD asked if my friend was a lot older than me. I was shocked, because this woman is exactly the same age I am and nobody has ever accused me of looking younger than I should. We're both pretty plain-living people and neither of us goes for fancy skincare routines, but I became a sunblock junkie at least ten years ago after learning that most of the blotches and tags on my skin are a result of sun exposure. I also started using lotion on my face, which is no longer the active oil well it was in my 20s. Every other day I notice a new crease that doesn't come from sleeping on a wrinkled pillow, but my friend should not have been looking ten or fifteen years my senior. She has been living in a hot, dry, sunny climate and probably did nothing to protect her very fair skin from the elements. That, or she had a much harder life than I realize. Stress is also very aging.

synthy

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:13 pm
amother Cherry wrote:
It actually DOES work:

https://www.health.harvard.edu.....nkles
Retinoids have been around for a long time and are one of the more “proven” ingredients.

PrairieFairy

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:23 pm
amother Olive wrote:
I agree lots of skincare products are a scam as in they're way overpriced & make phony claims. This doesn't mean a good moisturizer & maybe some targeted products if you have skin problems won't do you any good. Personally I believe washing face twice a day is counterproductive. We're better off not even washing every day.

I have stunning skin and it's in part because I DO wash and exfoliate my face every day. I use plain water for the most part and I wash less in the winter time because my skin lets me know that it doesn't appreciate it as much.

Everyones skin is different. Although I think that plain water, soap, and a toothbrush (for exfoliating) can work for a LOT of people, there is going to be a difference in timing, pressure etc based on genetics of the skin.

Mine is oily naturally so needs more washing/toothbrushing or I will get way more blackheads and then acne like most of my siblings have.

I have barely any of either and when I do get, it's because I didn't do my brushing/washing. In the winter, I agree with your sentiment for my skin because it's gets drier from the cold so needs more gentle care. But it depends on a persons skin.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:24 pm
amother Lily wrote:
I break out from sunscreen! Anyone has one that doesn't cause breakouts?

I do too. I’ve determined that some of us really can’t wear sunscreen daily, though it’s recommended. I’ve tried so many. The ones that are for oily skin are too drying.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:26 pm
Also for those who wear daily sunscreen, do you wear it under your makeup?

amother
Lily

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:38 pm
Also is foundation with spf20 or tanning moisturizer with spf20 same as sunscreen?

peace2

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Also for those who wear daily sunscreen, do you wear it under your makeup?

I use an elf primer with spf 30 (I think it's called suntouchables) under my makeup. It's good for every day regular use. If I'm spending lots of time outside or going to the beach I'll put on real sunscreen (oil free)

peace2

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:46 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
MUA here. I feel that skin care is all a scam, no matter the brand. However using a good moisturizer and keeping away from the sun will definitely help with the prevention of wrinkles.

Can you recommend a good reasonably priced moisturizer?

amother
Glitter

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:15 pm
zaq wrote:

What you use makes little diff. Vaseline or olive oil is as good as, if not better than, a cream, lotion or "serum" that costs $250 an ounce.

I really dont agree.
Expense aside, the actual ingredients do matter.

Retinoids (retinol, tretinoin...) have been around for a while, work by increasing actual collagen production etc and its not really debatable that theyre effective in preventing and minimizing wrinkles. Sure, each cream may be different, have a different concentration, different price, etc.
But dont kid yourself. Using tretinoin for 10 years is not the same as using olive oil.

Other ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, etc... theyre not just random gobbledegook- there's actual science and reason behind why theyre in so many skin care products.

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:21 pm
I think skincare is an inside-out type thing, like if you eat the right foods, that will be reflected on your skin. Lots of veggies and fruits and water. Also, foods with collagen.

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 8:43 am
amother Lotus wrote:
One of the best skincare advice - stay out of the sun as much as possible. The sun accelerates the aging process.

False.
And sun tan lotion is terrible for you.

To answer the op - yes. It’s all a scam.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics