Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
EWIC Store - Spend 10 EBT Dollars - Get $60 of Fresh Produce

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:48 am
For those who get EBT WIC in Los Angeles

Someone sent me this information regarding a "deal" for people who get EBT in Los Angeles

I don't get EBT so I haven't checked it out in person but it seems like it might be helpful for those who do get it.

The locations might not be that convenient but there seems to be one in the 4000 block of Pico but you would have to confirm.

The deal is that for every $1 in EBT money you use to purchase fresh produce there, you get $10 in produce so that if you spend $10 you get $60 worth of fresh produce. The limit is $10 - I.e. up to $60 in produce

Evidently the "store" stocks WIC and specializes in foods for children under five but is open to anyone and obviously takes EBT or WIC - not sure if those are separate since I don't get.

I have no affiliation with this organization and haven't checked it out personally but it was sent to me by a valid source so it might be worthwhile for people who live reasonably close to a location to check out.

https://mothersnc.com

busy mommy

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 7:18 am
This doesn't seem legal...

III. Equitable Treatment
Section 246.12(h)(3)(iii) of the federal WIC regulations requires WIC-authorized vendors to offer WIC program participants, parents or caretakers of infant and child participants, and proxies the same courtesies that are offered to other (non-WIC) customers.

WIC-authorized vendors may not treat WIC customers differently from non-WIC customers by excluding them from in-store promotions-this includes disallowing the use of coupons or other vendor discounts in WIC transactions that are allowed in non-WIC transactions. Similarly, WIC-authorized vendors may not treat WIC customers differently by offering them incentive items, vendor discounts, coupons or other promotions that are not offered to non-WIC customers.

Failure to provide the same courtesies to WIC participants, as outlined above, is a violation of federal WIC regulations, thereby constituting a vendor violation. State agencies should ensure that WIC-authorized vendors are aware of this requirement and should include a provision outlining the requirement for equitable treatment of WIC participants in their vendor agreements. The consequences of noncompliance with this requirement should be included in state agencies ' sanction schedules, as applicable.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 7:22 am
It is a pilot program for California and is legal - it is only in California as far as I know and specific to this specific organization of WIC stores - Mothers Nutritional Center.

Which is why it only exists in Los Angeles at this point.

What is CalFresh F&V EBT Pilot Project?

The CalFresh Fruit and Vegetable EBT Pilot Project in partnership between UC San Diego Altman Clinical and Translational Research Institute, Center for Community Health, Mother's Nutritional Center and the California Department of Social Services.

This project rewards CalFresh EBT participants when they purchase any fresh fruits and vegetables with their CalFresh EBT benefits at any Mother's Nutritional Center store across Southern California.

For every $1 of your CalFresh EBT that you spend on any fresh fruits and vegetables, you get $1 back on your CalFresh EBT card (up to $60 per month) that you can spend on any CalFresh-eligible food (e.g. more fruits and vegetables, bread, grains, nuts, dairy, meat,

amother
Currant

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 8:01 pm
This is for SNAP recipients who shop at this WIC store?
I am trying to apply for WIC, don't qualify for SNAP. I know they give some money for fresh fruits/vegetables so could you use the WIC money in this (and end up getting more WIC money for vegetables?)

amother
Currant

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 8:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
For those who get EBT WIC in Los Angeles

Someone sent me this information regarding a "deal" for people who get EBT in Los Angeles

I don't get EBT so I haven't checked it out in person but it seems like it might be helpful for those who do get it.

The locations might not be that convenient but there seems to be one in the 4000 block of Pico but you would have to confirm.

The deal is that for every $1 in EBT money you use to purchase fresh produce there, you get $10 in produce so that if you spend $10 you get $60 worth of fresh produce. The limit is $10 - I.e. up to $60 in produce

Evidently the "store" stocks WIC and specializes in foods for children under five but is open to anyone and obviously takes EBT or WIC - not sure if those are separate since I don't get.

I have no affiliation with this organization and haven't checked it out personally but it was sent to me by a valid source so it might be worthwhile for people who live reasonably close to a location to check out.

https://mothersnc.com

And the details are slightly wrong.
"For every $1 you spend, earn $1 back on your CalFresh EBT card, up to $60 per month."

You don't get $10 back. It is basically if you spend the benefit there, you don't use up the money, you get it back elsewhere so free fruits/vegetables.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics