Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
What’s the typical amount to tip elementary rebbi on Purim?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

galpal

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 1:11 pm
How much do you give rebbi?
English teacher?

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 1:37 pm
Following! I was just about to ask the same

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 1:38 pm
I think everyone will agree that there is no “typical” amount.
I give about $150 to rabbeim and $50 to English teachers. I sometimes give more/less depending on the teacher and how much effort they put into my child.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 1:41 pm
Uh oh.
Yearly thread lol.
There are always going to be people who give a lot because they have a lot and then there will be those who say it's not necessary & they shld be happy with a note, and then there will be those who say the first ones are showing off and then there will be those who say that it is necessary and then and then and then. LOL

We give all rebbeim $500 plus a nicer mm, plus the menahel(s). They work 6 days a week, 11 months.

We give all teachers- men/women for our boys) a regular MM plus $100.

I don't have a daughter in school right now but if I remember both her Hebrew and English teachers used to get the same and somewhere between those amounts.

galpal

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 1:45 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
Uh oh.
Yearly thread lol.
There are always going to be people who give a lot because they have a lot and then there will be those who say it's not necessary & they shld be happy with a note, and then there will be those who say the first ones are showing off and then there will be those who say that it is necessary and then and then and then. LOL

We give all rebbeim $500 plus a nicer mm, plus the menahel(s). They work 6 days a week, 11 months.

We give all teachers- men/women for our boys) a regular MM plus $100.

I don't have a daughter in school right now but if I remember both her Hebrew and English teachers used to get the same and somewhere between those amounts.

Wow! You are very generous! 500 each is thousands of dollars!

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 1:50 pm
galpal wrote:
Wow! You are very generous! 500 each is thousands of dollars!

We didn't always give this, but as our income increased, so did this.

In the beginning, we gave 150 to rebbeim. 50 or 75 to others.

Then we were able to increase to 250 and now we do 500 twice a year.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 1:53 pm
We do $100, 3x a year. Chanuka, purim, and end of year. I wish we could give more, because I have nothing but admiration for my boy’s incredible rebbeim, but we overextend ourselves for this even
I actually do not remember what we give English teachers. Maybe $50. My boys have English for an hour a day. I don’t have any girls in school

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:01 pm
We give between $250 and $500 depending on how much we feel the rebbi is doing for that kid.
The English teacher $18

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:06 pm
Wow my $36-50 must seem like nothing to them then.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:10 pm
amother Opal wrote:

For some reason, threads asking "how much do you spend on kids clothing/food/car" get all the poorer peoples responses, and threads asking "how much do you tip" get the richer peoples responses.

*I'm using rich and poor as very general terms. I'm trying to say that there isn't a lot of overlap between the people answering the questions. Because people tend to post what they feel good about - and it feels virtuous to say that you're thrifty on yourself, and it feels noble to say you're able to tip generously.

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:11 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
We give between $250 and $500 depending on how much we feel the rebbi is doing for that kid.
The English teacher $18

250 to 500 for rebbi and then just 18 bucks to English teacher ??!?!

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:12 pm
amother Opal wrote:

500 dollars is not the norm . 36 to 50 is beautiful too.

galpal

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:14 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
For some reason, threads asking "how much do you spend on kids clothing/food/car" get all the poorer peoples responses, and threads asking "how much do you tip" get the richer peoples responses.

*I'm using rich and poor as very general terms. I'm trying to say that there isn't a lot of overlap between the people answering the questions. Because people tend to post what they feel good about - and it feels virtuous to say that you're thrifty on yourself, and it feels noble to say you're able to tip generously.

Good observation and so true!!

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:14 pm
Since Covid, I give so much more graciously. Their jobs are HARD!! I have so much hakaras hatov to them!

If you can give $500 with ease, that’s great. The question is what’s typical, and that’s DEFINITELY not typical!

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:15 pm
amother Crystal wrote:

Depending on the age of your boys, my son in 7th grade has 12 hours a week of English divided by multiple subject teachers vs 30 hours a week of one rebbe. $18 for a teacher that may only teach your son one 45 minute period a day or 2x a week isn't that mean.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:27 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Depending on the age of your boys, my son in 7th grade has 12 hours a week of English divided by multiple subject teachers vs 30 hours a week of one rebbe. $18 for a teacher that may only teach your son one 45 minute period a day or 2x a week isn't that mean.

My 7th grade Lakewood son has his Rebbi from 7:45-2:45 s-th and 7:45-12:30 on Friday. That's close to 40 hours a week.
His English teacher is 2:45-4:45. M-Th. Thats 8 hours.

But I don't give such large variation.
Depending on my funds.
When English teaches get $18, Rebbeim get $36-$50.
When finances are better and the Rebbi gets $100-200, the English teacher gets way more also.
I basically give the English teacher 1/2-1/3 of what I give the Rebbi.though truthfully he works 1/4 of the hours.

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:36 pm
amother Crystal wrote:

There’s barely any English. I have to be honest. I didn’t think I was giving the rebbi that much more than other people. I thought it was the high end of normal.
I’m really shocked at how little people are giving on the girls teacher thread. I don’t have any girls.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:44 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
There’s barely any English. I have to be honest. I didn’t think I was giving the rebbi that much more than other people. I thought it was the high end of normal.
I’m really shocked at how little people are giving on the girls teacher thread. I don’t have any girls.

Ill be honest.
Your numbers shock me.
I give $36-$72 per Rebbi depending on the year.
That's a stretch for me financially because that equals hundreds of dollars for all the Rebbeim.
I knew that there were a few more comfortable per class who gave significantly more.
But I really don't think that my wine, wafer rolls, $36 check and nice note was so much less than everyone else.

Are you Chassidishe, Litvish?
Which schools do you send to (or are similar to you for privacy).
I send to quite yeshivish schools.

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:46 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
Ill be honest.
Your numbers shock me.
I give $36-$72 per Rebbi depending on the year.
That's a stretch for me financially because that equals hundreds of dollars for all the Rebbeim.
I knew that there were a few more comfortable per class who gave significantly more.
But I really don't think that my wine, wafer rolls, $36 check and nice note was so much less than everyone else.

Are you Chassidishe, Litvish?
Which schools do you send to (or are similar to you for privacy).
I send to quite yeshivish schools.

Tashbar/ Orchos chaim type.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:48 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Tashbar/ Orchos chaim type.

Do you think thats typical?

Anyone else want to weigh in on their school type
I send to Ohr Hatorah/Toras Menachem type. I give between $36-$72 per Rebbi depending on my finances. I thought that was lowish typical.
Am I deluding myself?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries