Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Zevulun

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:03 pm
My husband really likes this name. What do you think?

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:04 pm
Me too

613mitzvahgirl

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:06 pm
Me too.. you can use it snd just call him Zevi-unless you’re makpid of using the full name

galpal

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:09 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
Me too.. you can use it snd just call him Zevi-unless you’re makpid of using the full name

People will assume his name is Zev if you call him zevi

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:27 pm
It's not my type, but I like when people use names that aren't classic. This would definitely count!

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 1:16 am
I think it's a good, strong name.

I would probably need a nickname for a baby, but they grow into their names!

amother
Snow

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 6:14 am
I feel wrong pointing this out, but since you asked...

I'm Israeli and speak Hebrew and can't get past the similarity to the word "zevel" ("trash").

If you only speak English that's not a problem.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 6:59 am
amother Snow wrote:
I feel wrong pointing this out, but since you asked...

I'm Israeli and speak Hebrew and can't get past the similarity to the word "zevel" ("trash").

If you only speak English that's not a problem.

Although I grew up in America, we do speak Hebrew in my home here in Israel and I totally didn’t hear the zevel connection, and even after you pointed it out I still don't. Just to let OP know it's not absolute.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:21 am
Beautiful name.

Not used enough.

Zevi for nickname. People might think its for Zev only because Zevulun is not common.

So… let them think. And therefore…? Many nicknames go with a variety of names (think ‘Eli’ etc…).

Bshaah tova.

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:23 am
amother cornflower wrote:
Beautiful name.

Not used enough.

Zevi for nickname. People might think its for Zev only because Zevulun is not common.

So… let them think. And therefore…? Many nicknames go with a variety of names (think ‘Eli’ etc…).

Bshaah tova.

Same thought of who cares if they think Zevi is for Zev.

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:25 am
Agree with the others. Zevi is adorable
Doesn’t matter if it’s for zev or zevulun

I have a Yoni. It’s short for yonason. Most yonis are short for yonah. It really doesn’t matter

happy7

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:25 am
Zevulun is not really used among Ashkenazim.
Sephardim from the “Georgian/Bukharan” areas might though.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:47 am
It's not my personal style, but it's the name of one of the Shevatim! And one associated with supporting Torah study. It should be used more often! If it speaks to you, go for it!

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:10 am
This is totally a “classic” name to the same extent that Binyomin is. Why not?
It happens to not be a common name. But my husband has a mainstream Ashkenazi cousin named Zevulun . No issue.

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 12:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
My husband really likes this name. What do you think?

When baby is born, or just prior to the bris (night or so before) you and your husband can go through thus and any other ideas you have and together whatever is decided will be the name your son should have. I am a form believer in the ruach HaKodesh you have as a parent to partner in naming your child, Zevulun us a beautiful name, nicknames can mean anything, some people have names they use that have little or nothing to do with their given name. If you want to use Zevi or Zev or even “Lu” that’s your and your husband’s call to make. It’s a name in the Torah, and beautiful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names