Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How much to tip Shipt shopper?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:29 pm
My husband says I always overtip. I feel like I estimate how much my time is worth to do the shop. I don’t want to overpay. How much is standard to give?

Peersupport

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:13 pm
I give around 7%, or up to $10.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:18 pm
I give $3 each time. Often, I'm just getting a few items. I thought it was generous, but now I'll hear what others do.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:22 pm
On instacart the automatic tip for a big Costco order is often around 17 dollars which I always think is a lot.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:27 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
On instacart the automatic tip for a big Costco order is often around 17 dollars which I always think is a lot.

I wonder how big your orders are - the automatic tip on Costco’s Instacart is always 5% so that’s what I do

amother
Geranium

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:58 pm
What about Uber eats? Let’s say you’re ordering $20 worth.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:27 pm
amother Geranium wrote:
What about Uber eats? Let’s say you’re ordering $20 worth.

This might sound weird and I’m not saying it makes sense, but because I consider Uber eats more of a luxury, I tip a bit more. Whereas I’m ordering groceries weekly so can’t tip as much every time.

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 6:21 pm
On Instacart I tip 20%.

Someone is shopping your order, waiting in line to pay, loading it in their car, driving to your home unloading. Think about it and the time and effort thst takes.

If you don’t think they are worth as much as a waiter, I don’t know what to say. They rely on tips for their income as the base pay hardly covers auto costs.

Do Shipt workers shop for the order or just pick up the package from the store and bring to you

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 9:57 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
On Instacart I tip 20%.

Someone is shopping your order, waiting in line to pay, loading it in their car, driving to your home unloading. Think about it and the time and effort thst takes.

If you don’t think they are worth as much as a waiter, I don’t know what to say. They rely on tips for their income as the base pay hardly covers auto costs.

Do Shipt workers shop for the order or just pick up the package from the store and bring to you

They do the whole shop.

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 9:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
They do the whole shop.

In that case I would tip 20% as I do for the Instacart shoppers I use.

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 8:01 am
Tipping nothing or very little is a chilul hashem. Tips average 10% or $10 on Shipt, whichever is higher. $0-$3 tips are considered an insult, especially where hauling heavy beverages is involved. Tip a minimum of 10% or $10, whichever is higher. Tip more if you're ordering heavy beverages - $5 per large pack of water and $1 per 12-pack of soda. This is average tipping, not generous, but average; anything less is a chilul hashem. Keep in mind that a large pack of water is usually less than $5 - a 10% tip on that is less than 50 cents, and 20% less than a dollar. Heavy beverages are cheap thus a percentage tip is not appropriate for those items. A 32-pack of water weighs 34 lbs. Four of them weigh 136 lb. Would you haul 136 lbs. of water in your personal vehicle for a $1.88 tip?

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 8:11 am
I usually buy stuff like bread, clothing, school supplies, kitchen utensils, towels, other fluffy lightweight stuff.
I mostly shop there seasonally. And stock up on bread so it's once a month that in order. Or change of season is more frequent.
It always upsets me that I pay for the service and then I'm expected to tip.
I'd personally pay more for membership and not tip.

But it depends on the order.
If it's a $35 order of coloring books, bread, banana and dish towels the tip will be minimal. But if it's a large order with heavy items then yeah I feel like I need to tip nicely.

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 3:33 pm
Tzutzie - why does tipping upset you? Tips go directly to your shopper for their efforts and about half of a shopper's pay comes from tips. Membership fees go to a large corporation. Does tipping at a restaurant upset you?

Ordering lightweight items doesn't make them easy to find - coloring books are a hard to find item, for example, as they're all mixed together on a given shelf. Clothing and make-up take the longest to find as those are not arranged systematically in Target at all and a shopper must search high and low and if they're lucky, find the item/size requested for those items. Large packs of paper towels take up a lot of cart space and sometimes require more than 1 cart while shopping. Multiple packs of bread or eggs require a shopper to take extra care with those items as they're very fragile and must be handled with care. Also consider the round trip mileage a shopper must drive to bring your order to you. Even for a very small order, a $5 tip should be the minimum tip. Otherwise your shopper makes about $5 for your small order and it can easily take an hour to shop and deliver even the smallest order.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 3:56 pm
amother Apple wrote:
Tzutzie - why does tipping upset you? Tips go directly to your shopper for their efforts and about half of a shopper's pay comes from tips. Membership fees go to a large corporation. Does tipping at a restaurant upset you?

Ordering lightweight items doesn't make them easy to find - coloring books are a hard to find item, for example, as they're all mixed together on a given shelf. Clothing and make-up take the longest to find as those are not arranged systematically in Target at all and a shopper must search high and low and if they're lucky, find the item/size requested for those items. Large packs of paper towels take up a lot of cart space and sometimes require more than 1 cart while shopping. Multiple packs of bread or eggs require a shopper to take extra care with those items as they're very fragile and must be handled with care. Also consider the round trip mileage a shopper must drive to bring your order to you. Even for a very small order, a $5 tip should be the minimum tip. Otherwise your shopper makes about $5 for your small order and it can easily take an hour to shop and deliver even the smallest order.

I wish I could just give the shopper the fee I pay for shipt.

I subscribe to shipt becuase I don't drive and although dh works from home, he actually works and isn't able to drive me places anytime I want. And so I pay whatever I need to get what I need.
I don't order eggs.
Target here is extremely organized. And everything is marked on down to the isle and section.

I do tip. Becuase I know they barely get paid. But the culture upsets me.
Tipping servers also annoys me.
Charge more for the food, and pay the servers a living wage. I feel like the tipping culture is a passive aggressive way of charging more.
Let the consumer decided to tip and exceptional server. But otherwise they should be making enough from their bosses.

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 5:55 pm
They get paid we'll In NYC. I dont tip

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 6:05 pm
New York Shipt shoppers make exactly the same (excluding tips) as anywhere else in the country with the exception of California, which passed legislation requiring a different shopper pay model. Base pay for shopping and delivering an order is $5, including in New York.

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 6:06 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
I wish I could just give the shopper the fee I pay for shipt.

I subscribe to shipt becuase I don't drive and although dh works from home, he actually works and isn't able to drive me places anytime I want. And so I pay whatever I need to get what I need.
I don't order eggs.
Target here is extremely organized. And everything is marked on down to the isle and section.

I do tip. Becuase I know they barely get paid. But the culture upsets me.
Tipping servers also annoys me.
Charge more for the food, and pay the servers a living wage. I feel like the tipping culture is a passive aggressive way of charging more.
Let the consumer decided to tip and exceptional server. But otherwise they should be making enough from their bosses.

But you cannot give the subscription fee to your shopper. If you do not drive, and your husand is not driving to the store to pick up, you're saving on gas and car maintenance expenses as well as time to have items delivered to your door. Many Targets have sections that are highly disorganized, especially clothes, shoes, make-up, and books. The Shipt shopper app has zero locations listed for clothing or shoes - it's a free for all for your shopper to find clothing, shoes, socks, etc. - they must search the whole section of the store for those items, and many stores have very chaotic, strewn clothing sections.

Given what you know, and given the reality of how the business model works, why does tipping still upset you? get that a lot of people don't like tipping culture, but it's still real and necessary. Would you pay $20 for a meal vs. paying $15 for the same meal + a $5 tip? It would be the same cost to you. If you order once a month, why not tip $10 per order each month x 12 months if you'd be willing to pay more in membership fees ($120 more in membership fees?)? When you tip, you're not paying more to the store for an upcharge, you're paying to support someone's labor relative to the service provided and the effort/mileage required. And you're saving your own gas money and time too.

I use Shipt too, and always tip at least 20% or $10 minimum for a small order and more if the store is further away and/or involves heavy items.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics