Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Baby cereal for 7 month old on Pesach??
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:56 pm
I know it's a big early to post this, but I'm going to be starting solids a few weeks before pesach and wondering what I will feed my baby on Pesach?! Is there a pesachdik version/option of baby cereal? It will likely be too soon for him to have tried a variety of foods yet, so I want to be able to fill him up. I'm desperate to start solids due to his terrible reflux, but my doctor says I have to wait for him to be exactly 6 months. I don't want to wait until after pesach.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:00 pm
We're getting rice. We make it ourselves and keep it separate because it's kitniyos

Everyone I know with bad reflux was told to start solids before 6 months. I guess each doctor is different.

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:08 pm
We give rice cereal on pesach. It's not chometz.
We were advised to start solids as early as 4 months old for our reflux baby. Solids generally help for reflux.

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:15 pm
Feed your baby real food.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:27 pm
Rice or corn cereal.

But you also may have some tijme to add in some other foods. Either way, food at this age is not super critical, most nutrition comes from nursing, so even one fruit or veggie for the whole week is fine (mix with a little formula for fat/protein and some mashed potato or applesauce for carbs).

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:59 pm
Lady fingers and milk. (Breastmilk/formula) whatever you use. Crush/smash. The fingers and add milk untill you get texture you like.

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:03 pm
I start solids at 4 months and if pesach falls out then I do rice cereal or smashed lady fingers with formula. By 7 months your baby should be able to eat mashed potato kugel, Applesauce, mashed avocado, Bananas. These are all pretty filling for little baby.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:03 pm
skip baby cereal. it's void of nutrition anyway.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:04 pm
My last two babies I never gave baby cereal. I did fruit and vegetable jars to start out and then just added in regular food after that.

giftedmom

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:17 pm
Give your baby real food and don’t be afraid to try before 6 months. It’s an arbitrary number. Every baby develops at a different rate.
And start with protein and fat, grains are hard on the stomach.
I used to do what you did, and switched by my youngest. Such a difference.
You can give your baby chicken soup, healthy yogurt, loose eggs… those are best to start.

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:28 pm
I have never fed any of my 4 kids commercial, chemically filled baby cereal
I give them whatever I’m making! And then they develop a taste for real food, and it’s healthy
I give them soup with tons of vegetables, ground chicken, etc

bsy

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:40 pm
I started solids on pesach and gave sweet potato, banana, avocado, chicken soup etc

zaftigmom

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:43 pm
Mashed potatoes, any fruits or veggies

rowo

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:58 pm
This age on pesach is pretty easy.
They might not get much variety, but it’s just one week…

Buy a bunch of little containers, when making chicken soup keep the vegetables and mash them up for delicious baby food! (Some people like to take the veg out for baby before adding salt)

Apple sauce, or compote made from other fruits.

Yoghurt, cottage cheese.

If you’re up to finger food by then as well, there are so many things to feed them.
Latkes, chicken balls (I make instead of matzah balls), kugel, cheese, banana, scrambled eggs

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:59 pm
6 months is because baby's gut is not developed and starting before 6 months isn't good for gut health.

Pesach is my easiest time to feed my babies. There's always real food around and it's all clean! Salmon, burgers, strips of meat, roasted veggies, soup veggies, gefilte, avocado, eggs... they eat everything

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 6:29 pm
amother Peony wrote:
I have never fed any of my 4 kids commercial, chemically filled baby cereal
I give them whatever I’m making! And then they develop a taste for real food, and it’s healthy
I give them soup with tons of vegetables, ground chicken, etc

It doesn't have to be either or. You can easily make nutritious whole grain baby cereal.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 6:54 pm
What's wrong with real food? Asking as a first timer whose baby will be 6.5 months on Pesach.

YounginBP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 7:10 pm
Im really not understanding that mashed lady finger recommendation... I give cereal because oatmeal is good and helps for variety. How is mashed sugar and potato starch cookies 'breakfast'?

Give eggs or cottage cheese or banana. Others mentioned other good ideas. Soup is a great lunch.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 7:13 pm
Look into Baby Led weaning. Did it with all my kids and worked so well for us. Feed your baby whatever you feed yourselves, just cut or mashed into small pieces.

amother
Freesia

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 7:41 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Look into Baby Led weaning. Did it with all my kids and worked so well for us. Feed your baby whatever you feed yourselves, just cut or mashed into small pieces.

I second this!
First time mom but I’m doing it with my baby, started at 6 months and you’d be amazed how well she can feed herself already - I give her basically all the same things we eat.
It’s also so cool to see how in just two months she’s learned how to get food out of her mouth if it’s too big - and you don’t have to worry about adjusting from mashed to solids.

Solid starts is a great free app which has a bunch of foods on it and shows you safe ways to serve it to your baby
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics