Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
My baby is coming home soon! What do I need to know?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 6:42 pm
I had a preemie at 25 weeks who is b”h finally! coming home soon. It’s my first baby and I never made it to the end of my pregnancy book due to baby being born early and I’m feeling underprepared.
Could you all please share general safety tips and stuff I might need to know?
Like I know not to leave baby on the bed or anything higher than the floor pretty much, never leave baby in the bath alone. But share stuff similar to that.

what signs do I look for if baby is sick?

How do I know when to move up to the next diaper size?

How do I wake up my baby to eat?

Can my baby sleep with a blanket or do I need a sleep sack?

How much tummy time do I give?

How do I warm up milk? What do I do on Shabbos?

These are just a few questions I have but please volunteer any useful information you may have

amother
Holly

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 6:50 pm
Also if it's the kind of store that sells their brand in other stores or online try hard to get another one. I have Irish twins and this happens to me at least once a season it's really annoying

giftedmom

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 6:52 pm
Did you grow up with little siblings? Do you have anyone irl that can help you?

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 6:55 pm
Relax. You've got this.

I assume the nurses will give you some info at discharge.

I never had a preemie, but don't wake a baby during the night. During the day wake to feed if it's over 3 hours.

When the straps don't overlap as much and baby starts leaking through, it's time to go up a diaper size.

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 6:56 pm
Mazel tov and I'm so glad your baby is coming home!

If baby is extra irritable, not wanting to eat, sleeping worse than usual they may be sick.

Move up to the next size diapers when they start leaking.

Dont wake baby up to eat unless specifically told to do so. Baby will wake up on their own generally.

No blankets they are a huge suffocation hazard.

Tummy time as much as you can before baby gets very upset (will probably not be more than a few minutes at a time).

I always gave room temperature milk or formula and babies were fine with it.

greenteaorange

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:00 pm
Congrats so happy baby is coming home -The hospital should send you home with information as well which would be helpful to go through

No blankets (crib should be empty no loose items in there) baby should be only swaddled (swaddle until they roll over) or sleep sack

Warm up milk/ can get a bottle warmer or run under warm water

Tummy time- give as much as possible but little babies often don’t tolerate it so long so a few minutes 3 times a day if you can

Sick baby- they’ll feel warm, mahbe be fussy for feedings, inconsolable not acting themselves - get rectal thermometer to check temperature as rectal is best way to check for babies

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:02 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Did you grow up with little siblings? Do you have anyone irl that can help you?

I’m the youngest. My older sister will be helping but I feel silly asking her these questions

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:04 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
Relax. You've got this.

I assume the nurses will give you some info at discharge.

I never had a preemie, but don't wake a baby during the night. During the day wake to feed if it's over 3 hours.

When the straps don't overlap as much and baby starts leaking through, it's time to go up a diaper size.

The nurses probably will give some info but I’m kind of panicking now

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:07 pm
theoneandonly wrote:

If baby is extra irritable, not wanting to eat, sleeping worse than usual they may be sick.

Dont wake baby up to eat unless specifically told to do so. Baby will wake up on their own generally.

Tummy time as much as you can before baby gets very upset (will probably not be more than a few minutes at a time).

Thank you so much! He’ll probably need to be woken to eat because he sometimes forgets to breathe while eating (preemie issue) I’m not sure they’re very makpid on fully correcting this when they send him home

He actually loves tummy time! He gets loads of it at the hospital since he’s connected to momitors

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:09 pm
greenteaorange wrote:
Congrats so happy baby is coming home -The hospital should send you home with information as well which would be helpful to go through

No blankets (crib should be empty no loose items in there) baby should be only swaddled (swaddle until they roll over) or sleep sack

Warm up milk/ can get a bottle warmer or run under warm water

Tummy time- give as much as possible but little babies often don’t tolerate it so long so a few minutes 3 times a day if you can

Sick baby- they’ll feel warm, mahbe be fussy for feedings, inconsolable not acting themselves - get rectal thermometer to check temperature as rectal is best way to check for babies

Thank you so much!

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:09 pm
Tummy time can also be baby snuggling on your chest while you're on your back. I like to do this for a little bit after each feed.

Baby likes it, and it's yummy for mommy too Very Happy

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:10 pm
theoneandonly wrote:

I agree with all of the above. Mazel tov!

my mama

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:14 pm
I usually warm up frozen milk under hot running water until it reaches the desired temperature, on shabbos place it in a bucket of warm/hot water.
To test if it's too hot drip a tiny bit on the inside of your wrist, you'll get the most accurate temp reading there.

Drink water every time you feed the baby, it's a good reminder.

You don't have to "manage" things are very different with a baby around, give yourself grace.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:16 pm
my mama wrote:
I usually warm up frozen milk under hot running water until it reaches the desired temperature, on shabbos place it in a bucket of warm/hot water.
To test if it's too hot drip a tiny bit on the inside of your wrist, you'll get the most accurate temp reading there.

Drink water every time you feed the baby, it's a good reminder.

You don't have to "manage" things are very different with a baby around, give yourself grace.

😅 thank you!!

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:24 pm
If you do need to wake baby to eat

Usually if you just pick up baby and offer food (nurse / bottle) he will take it. If that's not enough you can undress the baby. Cold will help wake him up.

Sometimes you need to jiggle a foot or something to remind them to keep eating.

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:33 pm
Be careful with people saying not to wake baby to eat. Many babies DO need to be woken to eat in the beginning. I was told not more than three hours by day and four at night.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m the youngest. My older sister will be helping but I feel silly asking her these questions

It's not silly at all!
My younger sister had kids before I did. She was a great source of advice for me.
Mazal tov on the birth and another mazal tov on welcoming the baby home.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:38 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
Be careful with people saying not to wake baby to eat. Many babies DO need to be woken to eat in the beginning. I was told not more than three hours by day and four at night.

Right, OP had a micropreemie and he might need extra care above and beyond a full term baby.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:38 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
If you do need to wake baby to eat

Usually if you just pick up baby and offer food (nurse / bottle) he will take it. If that's not enough you can undress the baby. Cold will help wake him up.

Sometimes you need to jiggle a foot or something to remind them to keep eating.

I’ll try that! Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:39 pm
amother Lime wrote:
It's not silly at all!
My younger sister had kids before I did. She was a great source of advice for me.
Mazal tov on the birth and another mazal tov on welcoming the baby home.

Thank you Heart
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics