Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Oros vs. Aderes
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:44 am
Hi! I see this question posted before but I the information is not recent.
What are the differences between these 2 schools as far as the rules, the way its run, the atmosphere, the principals, the curriculum . Any and all information is appreciated!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 3:20 am
Bumping this up! Anyone!?

amother
Steel

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 3:46 am
It depends what you’re looking for. If you’re looking for a solid, very frum, yeshivish crowd then neither is the right place for you. If you’re looking for a mix of girls from all backgrounds then that’s a good fit. Personally, I was disappointed that most families in DD’s grade are okay with non-Jewish music and movies, but from what I hear both schools have girls that hang out with—to avoid being offensive I’ll call them—the Lakewood Underground, both in person and on social media under pseudonyms.

Aderes is evolving, just as Oros did 5-6 years ago. It is no longer yeshivish, and only a handful of the original Aderes families send their younger ones now. Mrs. Teller, the English principal, is really down-to-earth and reasonable. Mrs. Weiss, the assistant Hebrew principal, is in touch with the needs of the girls and it was smart that the new owners moved her into that position this school year. Hopefully less girls will drop out and/or switch schools.

Maybe someone that has a DD in Oros can provide more accurate details of that school.

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:59 am
Aderes parent. Very happy with Aderes. I feel my DD has such nice friends. I agree Mrs. Weiss is amazing as the assistant principal. I feel it has evolved a bit but not that much and the quality of the school has really improved since they moved into the newest location this year. I feel that Oros and Aderes are very similar types as many of my DD’s friends go there.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:01 am
I thought Mrs Weiss left?

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:07 am
amother Banana wrote:
I thought Mrs Weiss left?

A different Mrs Weiss left as English principal a couple of years ago.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:14 am
Thanks for clarifying

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:15 am
For outsiders, aderes seems similar to Bais Kaila.
Oros is supposed to be more yeshivish but there are all types who go these days.

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:25 am
amother Obsidian wrote:
For outsiders, aderes seems similar to Bais Kaila.
Oros is supposed to be more yeshivish but there are all types who go these days.

The hanhala, teachers & hashkafa taught in oros are very yeshivish. Most girls in dd grade are yeshivish/jpf. Not as rw as by or shiras devorah, but definitely more than aderes. But aderes is still a very new school- I don't even know if they have more than one graduating class- which means that they are still evolving as someone else said. Rn, they don't have the reputation among some older elemental schools as they did initially and are not being recommended to parents.
From what I gathered one year they took a lot of girls that they were regretting because they wanted to be a certain type and these girls were from more lw than they wanted.
The next year I think they took one less class than the year before and they're trying to straighten out their reputation but sometimes these things take a few years. It happened to oros, shiras d etc.
It doesn't mean it's a bad school, it just means that they're still trying to figure out exactly where they're going to land, and they are not exactly where they started right now but we don't know where they will end up.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:00 am
Is Oros really so much more yeshivish ? What type of hashkafos are different in Oros vs Aderes ?

Chayalle

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:52 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
Is Oros really so much more yeshivish ? What type of hashkafos are different in Oros vs Aderes ?

I'm a BK parent. We have multiple relatives in Aderes, and friends in Oros. In general the Oros parents are more yeshivish and the girls have less technology. I think BK is somewhere in the middle. There is some overlap between all 3.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:04 pm
Thank you Chayelle! So interesting that you see BK as somewhere in the middle !! When you say aderes girls have more technology, do you mean the girls themselves might be on social media or have a smart phone etc ?? Or just that their homes are more likely to have internet?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:32 am
amother Hotpink wrote:
Thank you Chayelle! So interesting that you see BK as somewhere in the middle !! When you say aderes girls have more technology, do you mean the girls themselves might be on social media or have a smart phone etc ?? Or just that their homes are more likely to have internet?

Yes the girls themselves. Not so much smartphone/internet, but more like a tablet and they imessage.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:35 am
Chayalle wrote:
I'm a BK parent. We have multiple relatives in Aderes, and friends in Oros. In general the Oros parents are more yeshivish and the girls have less technology. I think BK is somewhere in the middle. There is some overlap between all 3.

Are you sure? Most people I know who applied to oros did not apply to Bais Kaila. It doesn’t seem to be the same crowd.

keym

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:49 am
My daughter is in Oros, but in the older grades so I can't answer all questions.
Things have changed because new schools have opened

But from what I can see, most girls end up applying to Oros simply because it overlaps.
So you have girls who can comfortably fit in Oros or Aderes, or Oros and BK, or Oros and BY, or Oros and Machon

It feels to me currently like an absolute dead center school when you line up all the schools by yeshivish ness. (Different people have different calculations how they rank yeshivish, but I find that Oros tends to usually be the center).
But im not sure how things are changing as newer schools open up.

Academically, it has a reputation for being challenging. But I've seen it more as that there is academics but it's not pressurizing. The teachers work with the girls, aren't out to fail them, and there are multiple modified options available if the work is challenging.

For some reason, Oros has a reputation from the outside as being cold and sterile. But interestingly enough I have not seen that at all. In fact, when my daughter talks to friends in other schools, they're constantly amazed at the relationships girls have with teachers, the interactions. I know they have the reputation, I'm just not sure why because that has not been my experience at all.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:07 am
amother Wheat wrote:
Are you sure? Most people I know who applied to oros did not apply to Bais Kaila. It doesn’t seem to be the same crowd.

and I know quite a few people (my daughter included) who applied to Oros and BK. (Back then Oros was our 3rd choice, after BK, and BH DD got into BK).

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:08 am
keym wrote:
For some reason, Oros has a reputation from the outside as being cold and sterile. But interestingly enough I have not seen that at all. In fact, when my daughter talks to friends in other schools, they're constantly amazed at the relationships girls have with teachers, the interactions. I know they have the reputation, I'm just not sure why because that has not been my experience at all.

I used to drive DD's seminary carpool with two Oros girls, and this was their experience. I would guess different girls experience high school differently. They found seminary to be vastly warmer than high school. Maybe comparing seminary to high school is comparing apples to oranges, though.

keym

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:11 am
Chayalle wrote:
and I know quite a few people (my daughter included) who applied to Oros and BK. (Back then Oros was our 3rd choice, after BK, and BH DD got into BK).

But you're talking about some 10? Or so years ago.
Before Aderes, Chedvas, Meiras, Machon, Bnos Basya. Possibly before Maohn, Shiras Devorah.
The landscape has changed so much because of the new schools that opened.

Even my applying experiences are not necessarily relevant because it happened 4 years ago.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:17 am
keym wrote:
But you're talking about some 10? Or so years ago.
Before Aderes, Chedvas, Meiras, Machon, Bnos Basya. Possibly before Maohn, Shiras Devorah.
The landscape has changed so much because of the new schools that opened.

Even my applying experiences are not necessarily relevant because it happened 4 years ago.

Nope was year of COVID. Yes, before some of those schools opened (Maon and Shiras Devorah existed already). Yes, landscape has changed.

amother
Freesia

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:17 am
My dd went to oros, now she’s in seminary. It’s a big school so definitely a mix, 160 girls in grade. But overall it’s a yeshivish crowd. Even the working parents , they are in Lakewood because they started out in BMG kollel. It’s not the new crowd that just moved to Lakewood for bigger cheaper houses than Brooklyn.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries