Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
PSA - Make sure what you are giving qualifies as 2 foods!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 2:22 pm
I've seen suggestions in the past and recently to give for Mishloach Manos items that would not qualify as food. Just recently I saw on the ice coffee post (didn't want to hijack) people suggesting to add coffee packets, sugar cubes, rock candy stirrers in addition to one main food like a muffin.

According to my LOR that would not be yotze the requirements for 2 foods. It has to be more substantial than that. I even asked about candy and that he said was more of a gray area. A few stray jelly beans thrown in to add to your theme or whatever wouldn't work. A box of Mike n Ikes would. Your LOR might feel differently, but it's worth asking. Even if you say that you give a few other nicer ones to teachers or whatever that definitely qualify, why not get credit for ALL the mishloach manos you give. After all the expense and effort it might as well qualify as a mitzvah too!!

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 2:30 pm
For some people this time of year is expensive enough as it is, so maybe they don’t want to go all out for each SM. If they’re fulfilling the mitzvah and the rest are not up to the exact standard, why does that matter? Let them enjoy their jelly bean to match their theme and as long as they actually give what Halacha says to the minimum amount of people - shkoyach.

Why should people feel more pressured and spend more money for no reason?

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 2:31 pm
The mitzva is to give two edible ready to eat food to one person.
It’s not like Tzedaka or brachos that you get a mitzvah for each one you give or say.

It’s similar to megilla in the sense that you hear it twice and you were did the mitzva.
There is nothing special about hearing it more times than that.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 2:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
I've seen suggestions in the past and recently to give for Mishloach Manos items that would not qualify as food. Just recently I saw on the ice coffee post (didn't want to hijack) people suggesting to add coffee packets, sugar cubes, rock candy stirrers in addition to one main food like a muffin.

According to my LOR that would not be yotze the requirements for 2 foods. It has to be more substantial than that. I even asked about candy and that he said was more of a gray area. A few stray jelly beans thrown in to add to your theme or whatever wouldn't work. A box of Mike n Ikes would. Your LOR might feel differently, but it's worth asking. Even if you say that you give a few other nicer ones to teachers or whatever that definitely qualify, why not get credit for ALL the mishloach manos you give. After all the expense and effort it might as well qualify as a mitzvah too!!

You’re yotzei with giving two real foods to one person. The rest can be anything because they don’t really count as far as being mekayem that part of it.

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 2:43 pm
Cheiny wrote:
You’re yotzei with giving two real foods to one person. The rest can be anything because they don’t really count as far as being mekayem that part of it.

There are SO MANY misunderstandings or just not knowing what the actual mitzvah and requirements are, I think those who DO know what is required and what is not sometimes do extra as not to appear as if they don't know. IE if my family is dressing up as apples and I want to do a theme, I can send an apple and dried apple, which are both the same bracha, and be yotzei. But I may send an apple and apple sauce to cover two brachos, since many people mistakenly think it must be two brachos, not two foods and they don't want to look like it was wrong.

I posted about giving cookie dough and a small thing, and people said it wont count as MM because cookie dough is not a food. To which I said, don't worry, my REAL MM will be given to my son's rebbes and to my neighbors, the rest is just for fun.

In other words, ALL of the MM do not need to be the correct way to do it, only two do. Then the rest are for fun, not for a mitzvah.

The sooner people learn the real requirements, the better. Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 4:06 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
The mitzva is to give two edible ready to eat food to one person.
It’s not like Tzedaka or brachos that you get a mitzvah for each one you give or say.

It’s similar to megilla in the sense that you hear it twice and you were did the mitzva.
There is nothing special about hearing it more times than that.

Source? I don't think you are correct. I think you do get schar/a mitzvha for each one you give. You are only chayav in one but might as well get credit for all the others. I'm going to ask my LOR about that tonight and hoepfully follow up here.

It just seems such a shame to go to such effort and expense that each MM entails and not even get a mitzvah for it!! (Also it gives others the idea that it is an acceptable MM and they might copy you without giving any that actually qualify. )

goodmorning

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 4:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Source? I don't think you are correct. I think you do get schar/a mitzvha for each one you give. You are only chayav in one but might as well get credit for all the others. I'm going to ask my LOR about that tonight and hoepfully follow up here.

It just seems such a shame to go to such effort and expense that each MM entails and not even get a mitzvah for it!! (Also it gives others the idea that it is an acceptable MM and they might copy you without giving any that actually qualify. )

Rambam, Hilchos Megillah 2:15
וְכָל הַמַּרְבֶּה לִשְׁלֹחַ לְרֵעִים מְשֻׁבָּח
Whoever sends portions to many friends is praiseworthy.

That exact language is quoted by the Shulchan Aruch, OC 695:4.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 4:24 pm
goodmorning wrote:
Rambam, Hilchos Megillah 2:15
וְכָל הַמַּרְבֶּה לִשְׁלֹחַ לְרֵעִים מְשֻׁבָּח
Whoever sends portions to many friends is praiseworthy.

That exact language is quoted by the Shulchan Aruch, OC 695:4.

That’s not what it translates as… it’s says “and anyone who increases sending to friends is praiseworthy” it doesn’t say anything about portions…

goodmorning

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 4:45 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
That’s not what it translates as… it’s says “and anyone who increases sending to friends is praiseworthy” it doesn’t say anything about portions…

Sorry, I should have given the standard disclaimer that it's the sefaria translation (which I am not a huge fan of).Yours is better. Smile

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 4:54 pm
watergirl wrote:
There are SO MANY misunderstandings or just not knowing what the actual mitzvah and requirements are, I think those who DO know what is required and what is not sometimes do extra as not to appear as if they don't know. IE if my family is dressing up as apples and I want to do a theme, I can send an apple and dried apple, which are both the same bracha, and be yotzei. But I may send an apple and apple sauce to cover two brachos, since many people mistakenly think it must be two brachos, not two foods and they don't want to look like it was wrong.

I posted about giving cookie dough and a small thing, and people said it wont count as MM because cookie dough is not a food. To which I said, don't worry, my REAL MM will be given to my son's rebbes and to my neighbors, the rest is just for fun.

In other words, ALL of the MM do not need to be the correct way to do it, only two do. Then the rest are for fun, not for a mitzvah.

The sooner people learn the real requirements, the better. Smile

It’s actually only one that needs to be the correct way 🙂

Two prepared foods to one person .

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 5:01 pm
The basic mitzvah is to send two food to one person- משלוח מנות איש לרעהו. The word מנות is plural meaning you need to give two types of food (not necessarily two different brachos)
The word רעהו is singular meaning you need to give to one person.
You can give as many as you want, but if it doesn’t fulfill the minimum requirement, I don’t know that it would count as a mitzvah.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 5:36 pm
Well, keep in mind that the husband and wife each have an obligation, so that's 2 "real" ones for a married couple.

I didn't see the post OP is referring to but it's possible rock candy as a stirrer may be sufficient as its a substantial item.

One also needs to find out if water counts, that's sometimes used as a second item.

One year, I made yerushalmi kugel and went with a mini pack of pickles.
I was told it was fine for America, but the pickles may be considered tafel in EY...

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 6:41 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Well, keep in mind that the husband and wife each have an obligation, so that's 2 "real" ones for a married couple.

I didn't see the post OP is referring to but it's possible rock candy as a stirrer may be sufficient as its a substantial item.

One also needs to find out if water counts, that's sometimes used as a second item.

One year, I made yerushalmi kugel and went with a mini pack of pickles.
I was told it was fine for America, but the pickles may be considered tafel in EY...

I was speaking for each individual. Not everyone here is married, but everyone here IS required to give to TWO types of food to ONE person. I don’t remember if a husband and wife can give one together, or if each has to give their own.

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 7:11 pm
It’s two portions. It can be the same food but enough for 2 people, like a big container of soup

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 7:22 pm
True. I like to include a box of tea but I know that doesn't really "count".

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 7:41 pm
tichellady wrote:
It’s two portions. It can be the same food but enough for 2 people, like a big container of soup

Most poskim say 2 different types of food.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 7:42 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I was speaking for each individual. Not everyone here is married, but everyone here IS required to give to TWO types of food to ONE person. I don’t remember if a husband and wife can give one together, or if each has to give their own.

I was clarifying the latter. Each one has the obligation and it's best to designate one from him, one from her, and the rest can be together.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 7:43 pm
tichellady wrote:

Can you please post a source for this? I’ve only ever heard two foods to one person.

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 9:34 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
True. I like to include a box of tea but I know that doesn't really "count".

AIUI, so long as you have the basic two foods that are the minimum for compliance, you can add anything else you want, including nonfoods. So, a box of tea and a box of biscuits, no good. A box of tea, a jar of preserves, a box of biscuits, a teapot and a strainer and a honey spoon, just fine. You have your preserves and your biscuits, both of which are foods ready to eat. Everything else is, you should excuse the expression, icing on the cake.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:48 pm
Can we get some details on sources about the foods being significant? I didn't know that candies might not count and I'd like to learn more. I was going to go with cookies and candies this year... (Though dh usually adds a bottle of wine for his best friends so that should save us. I'd still like to know the general rule about this though.)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics